Wylted
theta_pinch

The pyramids exist

Wylted
Started: 1/27/2014 Category: Places-Travel

Wylted

Pro

My stance is that pyramids exist. My opponent takes the opposite stance. Begin arguments in any round.
theta_pinch

Con

I will base my argument off of the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

According to the many worlds interpretation every possible outcome of an event occurs in some alternate "quantum reality." Since this debate obviously can't refer to every reality I will start by specifying which "quantum reality" we are talking about: the one where the pyramids don't exist.
Wylted

Pro

Thank con for accepting this debate since my opponent hasn't defined the words he used I will take the liberty.

Definitions

Mechanics- plural for the word mechanic.

Mechanic-
n.
A worker skilled in making, using, or repairing machines, vehicles, and tools.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

My opponent is trying to say that we should get our scientific theories from people who work on cars. Specifically Nissan Quantums.

Why someone should accept scientific theories from car mechanics for a model of Nissan that doesn't even exist yet he doesn't say.

News flash but car mechanics aren't trustworthy look at Joey Buttafuoco. http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

Voters please throw away my opponents opening arguments based on the fact that Joey Buttafuoco committed statutory rape and has no formal science education.
theta_pinch

Con

To be more clear I will rephrase my original argument:

I will base my argument off of the many worlds interpretation of quantum physics.

PHYSICS: the natural science that involves the study of matter[6] and its motion through space and time, along with related concepts such as energy and force.

So I am trying to say we should get our scientific theories from experimental and theoretical physicists(trained professionals in the field of science.)
Wylted

Pro

I hope the voters don't feel sorry for con. I tried to give him a way out of this impossible to win debate by turning it into a joke. My opponent has chose to extend his arguments and give me another chance at attacking them rather then alter the dynamics of the debate.

Reality:
Compact Oxford English Dictionary of Current English, Oxford University Press, 2005. (Full entry for reality: "reality " noun (pl. realities) 1 the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them. 2 a thing that is actually experienced or seen. 3 the quality of being lifelike. 4 the state or quality of having existence or substance.")
[1] Compact Oxford English Dictionary of Current English, Oxford University Press, 2005. (Full entry for reality: "reality " noun (pl. realities) 1 the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them. 2 a thing that is actually experienced or seen. 3 the quality of being lifelike. 4 the state or quality of having existence or substance.")

The many worlds theory of quantum mechanics doesn't state that there is many realities. There is merely one reality. According to the many worlds theory wave function collapse doesn't occur and instead creates many alternate universes or worlds. All these alternate worlds would still be part of the same reality.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

My opponent has used the term quantum reality to attempt to cause confusion about the many worlds theory. It is a many worlds theory and not a many realities theory. My opponent has conceded that even if pyramids didn't exist in this world they would exist in an alternate world according to the many worlds theory. So, my opponent has conceded that pyramids exist in at least one of these worlds. This means pyramids or any other conceivable thing exists.

Also if my opponent is going to argue that pyramids don't exist in some alternate universe then he should show that this specific alternate universe exists.

My video is presented as evidence of pyramids.

http://www.youtube.com...
theta_pinch

Con

"The many worlds theory of quantum mechanics doesn't state that there is many realities. There is merely one reality. According to the many worlds theory wave function collapse doesn't occur and instead creates many alternate universes or worlds. All these alternate worlds would still be part of the same reality."

True; it is only one reality; I admit that I should have said alternate history.

My opponent has used the term quantum reality to attempt to cause confusion about the many worlds theory.

No deception was intended.

It is a many worlds theory and not a many realities theory. My opponent has conceded that even if pyramids didn't exist in this world they would exist in an alternate world according to the many worlds theory. So, my opponent has conceded that pyramids exist in at least one of these worlds.

This doesn't actually affect my case because when I started the debate I specified that we were debating in the reference frame of a universe where the pyramids were never built so while there are pyramids bin other universes those are not relevant to this debate.

If the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is correct then there are going to be way too many universes where the pyramids don't exist to specify so I' referring to the "mother universe" where the universe where the pyramids were built and the one that didn't branched off.

Wylted

Pro

I've proved and con has agreed pyramids exist in this world.

Con is using the many worlds theory and specifying which world he is referring to. Fair enough. What con has forgotten to do however is prove the many worlds theory true.

I have nothing to add. Con has failed to prove his many worlds theory. Since his entire argument hinges on it and he has conceded pyramids exist in this world, then I've met my burden of proof.

Voters, when judging who won the arguments portion of this debate, ask yourself if con has met his burden of proof in his assertion that the many worlds theory is true.
theta_pinch

Con

Pro is right; I do need evidence for the many worlds interpretation, so here's some evidence:

The many worlds interpretation resolves all of the correlation paradoxes.
Resolves the observer problem.
Becomes a realist, deterministic, local theory akin to classical physics.
Favored by occams razor.

While the many worlds interpretation has not been proven experimentally, the Copenhagen interpretation hasn't been either. Due to the properties explained above the many worlds interpretation is the more likely of the two.

CONCLUSION
The many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics brings up the possibility of alternate histories; including one where the pyramids don't exist. By specifying which history we are referring to in this debate as one where the pyramids don't exist; I have proved my case. As seen above I have also provided evidence for the many worlds interpretation so my argument holds.

SOURCES
Posted by TheWoodOre 3 years ago
TheWoodOre
Pyramids don't exist.

Common sense.
Posted by theta_pinch 3 years ago
theta_pinch
Thanks.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Theta pinch,

Neither one of us gave this debate our all. No matter what the win results end up as, I just wanted you to know even with the seemingly impossible resolution and the lack of attention, you did a great job.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Somehow I thought you would I respect and like that angle.
Posted by theta_pinch 3 years ago
theta_pinch
I decided to go into quantum physics with this.
Vote Placed by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
Wyltedtheta_pinchTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate ultimately came down to Rounds 2 & 3. Con failed to uphold the Many Worlds Theory because it is a theory after all. I was expecting more facts which Con failed to provide. Pro wins the debate. No one receives the source point, S&G point, or the conduct point. Good luck to you both in future debates.
Vote Placed by black_squirrel 3 years ago
black_squirrel
Wyltedtheta_pinchTied
Reasons for voting decision: The quantum mechanic argument/alternate history argument is deceptive and nonsensical. Arguments go to PRO. PRO had good sources for the many world interpretation of quantum mechanics and for pyramids.