HerSoul
Selborne123

The racial discrimination that biracial children face is something that should be discussed more.

HerSoul

Pro

Many of the issues discussed today in social media and popular entertainment address important issues that are changing society as a whole. However, alot of the racial discrimination that people of multiple races face isn't discussed as often as it should be, especially since it holds the same weight as the racial issues of some one with one race.
Selborne123

Con

I disagree
HerSoul

Pro

As a biracial person myself (Mexican, Aztec, Portuguese, Jamaican, Spanish, and Chinese) I have faced a lot of discrimination in school. I've heard everything from "Oreo" to "Are you adopted?" Growing up as a biracial person, the first challenge that takes place is deciding how to identify yourself. With so many cultures and races making up who you are as one person, it's very hard to define yourself. Many people have not been educated about the struggles of children with multiple races. So they immediately assume that they are just one race and often become confused when they see someone with pale skin and ridiculously curly hair. Sometimes there are so many races in the mix that siblings of multiple races don't look anything like each other. Some get discriminated more than others and a new conflict can begin within a family. After a while it becomes hard to find out where you are supposed to be in society, especially when you are literally Black, White, Latina, and Asian. As of recent I have discovered that I am not the only biracial person who faces these issues, a lot of people who check multiple races on their exams also struggle with indirect and direct discrimination against at least one or all of their races. They struggle with identity and purpose. Its hard to look for guidance because there aren't a lot of children's shows that feature people of multiple races or even interracial couples for that matter. This topic was even discussed in Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird, when Scout and Dill conversed with a man in a interracial couple he told them how his children are sometimes seen as "sins" because they belong to more than one identity, especially because one of those races is seen as being above the other. If we publicly discussed these issues more often and gave biracial children something to be and someone to look up to, it could begin an entire movement for people of just one discriminated race. Though the racial movements that do only help people identifying with one race help, the movements that help people that identify then more with one are no where to be seen.
Selborne123

Con

Selborne123 forfeited this round.
HerSoul

Pro

HerSoul forfeited this round.
Selborne123

Con

Selborne123 forfeited this round.
Posted by HerSoul 1 year ago
HerSoul
Firstly, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't refer to people as if they are dogs. Second, people of only two races also fall into the same category as I do so I feel that my argument could be valid for them as well. Out of the 300 million people that live in the USA, only 9 million of those people are mixed with more than one race. There are more illegal immigrants in this country compared to biracial people. I feel as though people of two races should definitely be included and feel included in this debate. I'm sure that people of two races also struggle with identity and racial slurs as well. People in the United States are too busy being surprised by the fact that people of different races can actually be in a committed relationship to even begin to comprehend a child coming from that relationship. People of only two races are definitely people should be supporting this debate, especially because they are the people that end up having multiracial children like myself.
Posted by robertacollier 1 year ago
robertacollier
Well then discuss it. Let's hear what you think about half-breeds.