Benshapiro
Theunkown

The real value of pie is not 3.14

Theunkown

Benshapiro

Pro

I believe winning debates mean that you are a rational, logical person that presents arguments in a concise and coherent manner. My win ratio is disastrous at 41%. Therefore, comparatively, I would argue that I am illogical, incompetent, incoherent and not rational.

Onto my argument: everyone says that pie is rounded to 3.14 but this is not true. The value of pie depends on it's price. Price is determined by supply and demand which fluctuate for a variety of different reasons. Mainly, the number of pies being produced and sold in a competitive market will determine the equilibrium price of pie. Monopoles produce to the point where marginal benefit = marginal cost. In a perfectly competitive market however, suppliers produce to a point where price = marginal cost. Only in a monopoly could the price be set at 3.14 because they would dominate the market and be able to charge whatever they wanted. Pie producers are not a monopoly though and fall into the category of a competitive market. Therefore, pie is NOT 3.14.
Theunkown

Con

This is obviously a joke debate, but I shall take on the challenge anyway.

My opponent said that " everyone says that [the value of] pie is rounded to 3.14"
No, the value of pi (not pie) is rounded to 3.14. (hint : vote for me on spelling and grammar)

My opponent stated that pie does not have a value of 3.14 but has not specified the currency.
There is a huge amount of currencies in the world. Official number is 180.
This does not even count the sub currencies of the world (examples of sub currency are US cents or UK pence or Indian paisa or Kuwati fils).
The value of a pie must be 3.14 in AT LEAST one currency or sub currency. Also, different pie sizes have different rates. Therefore if a pie of the right size is made, it will cost 3.14 for a specified currency or even sub currency (different sizes for different currencies or sub currencies).
Vote for Con.
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
Wow unfair votes... Look at the guys RFD
Posted by 007566 2 years ago
007566
wikipedia is not a reliable site
Posted by subgenius 2 years ago
subgenius
It becomes quite simple to determine a consistent value for pie that is independent of the retail value and subsequently this value is "real".
Price is synonymous with value in a monetary context (http://www.merriam-webster.com...) the lack of this context (absence of $ notation) allows for other accepted uses of the word.

3.14 is a mathematical object - which is without doubt an abstract object; which means -
The functional terms that pick out abstract objects as follows:
Where "f(a)" is such "functional term", there is an equation of the form:
f(a) = f(b) if and only if Rab (where R is an equivalence relation - for example - the # of X = the # of Y only when there are just as many X as there are Y)

Suppose one wants to remember how many letters are in the word pie without memorizing the quantity or re-counting - simple association is effective - the word "pie" contains 3 letters, which is 1 letter less than 4 letters, - and one may choose to shorthand this thought as 3.14...thus making the PIE equal to 3.14. This has established an equivalence relation between PIE and 3.14 therefore satisfying the notion that f(a) = f(b)...or that PIE = 3.14.

Whereas the memory recall "value" of PIE is 3.14....and that is real.

Consider Aesop's fable:
"A Cock, scratching the ground for something to eat, turned up a Jewel that had by chance been dropped there. "Ho!" said he, "a fine thing you are, no doubt, and, had your owner found you, great would his joy have been. But for me, give me a single grain of corn before all the jewels in the world."
Posted by Benshapiro 2 years ago
Benshapiro
We've all been wrong.
Posted by Soulja_n 2 years ago
Soulja_n
I always thought it was spelled: Pi
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
Value of Pie is 3.1415etc etc etc......
Posted by Jabuticaba 2 years ago
Jabuticaba
MIND BLOWN. o.o
Posted by Benshapiro 2 years ago
Benshapiro
Value is actually subjective depending on the person (price signals value, as the price goes up, our value of that item goes down unless it's a trendy rich person item.) So possibly somebody could value pie at 3.14.
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
you don't say?
Vote Placed by zmikecuber 2 years ago
zmikecuber
BenshapiroTheunkownTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had the S/G
Vote Placed by subgenius 2 years ago
subgenius
BenshapiroTheunkownTied
Reasons for voting decision: "A Cock, scratching the ground for something to eat, turned up a Jewel that had by chance been dropped there. "Ho!" said he, "a fine thing you are, no doubt, and, had your owner found you, great would his joy have been. But for me, give me a single grain of corn before all the jewels in the world."