RonPaul2016
TheSophisticatedIncumbent

The rich have paid enough already

RonPaul2016

Pro

I am starting yet another debate on how I believe the rich have paid their fair share and shouldn't be taxed as much as they are. You must have a valid argument and answer questions I ask, as I will yours. Thank you and have a nice day.
TheSophisticatedIncumbent

Con

I would first like to start off my stating my point. No! The rich have not paid their due yet. First when you say "rich" I will assume you are referring to the top 1 percent. In 2009 the latest data we have on this subject said that to be in the 1 percent you needed to have an adjusted gross income (AGI) of 344,000 dollars. That very same year according to ThinkProgress.org The top 1 percent held roughly 40% of the United State's wealth. Also in that year according to a government poll found by Jason Fichtner senior research fellow at the Mercatus Center the top 1 percent only pay 37 % of all federal income taxes. The rich make more, but STILL pay less.
Next I would like to discuss the reason you say The rich have paid "enough" already. You might say that this was Obama's plan and he is putting it into place. This is not true. Every time a new bill is introduced that will tax the rich more it is struck down by a Republican Congress. An example of this is recently during the Sequester debates. Every argument had been resolved over a plan for budget cuts except the issue of how much more the rich should be taxed. That's right! There has been an inching pace over the last 4 and a half years to make the top percentile pay their due. This was to be the first major increase in taxation on the rich in a decade. Back to the Sequester though. It was the only thing left standing, AND it wasn't aloud to pass because of an unyielding House of Representatives. You can not say the rich have paid "enough" already when there hasn't been a true increase at all.
Thank you for reading my argument. I conclude my piece.
RonPaul2016

Pro

Thank you for participating in this debate. This is an issue of simple economic logic. What my opponent fails to understand is that the money the rich have isn't sitting in some big cloud somewhere. They may have alot of money, but that means that they spend more. That means that the economy prospers because when companies have business, they tend to hire more people. I apologize for not clarifying my statement before. When I say the "rich" I mean the top 10% of earners. They pay 75% of the income taxes. This, in my opinion, is crippling the economy. When people have less to spend, they don't spend the money.
There are some rich out there who I believe don't deserve so much pay. I'm talking about people in Hollywood. The people who do deserve it are the people who paved the way for business in america: The entrepreneurs. These people deserve every sent they have earned. They had the nerve to work hard and take the risk. The beautiful thing about this country is that people all have the opportunity to be successful. Why should we discourage this by taking their hard earned money away from them, and on the whole, taking it from the economy. I ask my opponent to consider what I have said and also respond to this question: How much do you think that they should be taxed and how are we going to motivate future businessmen to start in the US with such an anti business climate?
TheSophisticatedIncumbent

Con

I would first like to start off by thanking my opponent for his argument. It was truly of value to hear your "opinion". But these are the facts. If as you say you're classifying the rich 10% they still have to be making more than 155,000. When you say that the top 10% pays 75% of all income tax you are actually referring to a stat documenting what percentage of the tax bracket pays their income tax. The official statistic I on this by BankRate is that those making 188,000 or higher are only paying 35 % percent of all American taxes.

Next I will address your point that we shouldn't be taking away money that could be used to boost the economy. I agree that money shouldn't be taken away from entrepreneurs... and it's not. On average entrepreneurs make 87,500 well below the top 10%. So these small business creators, are not being hurt by tax increases on the rich.

Finally, I would like to talk of the question you asked me last time. "How much do you think that they should be taxed and how are we going to motivate future businessmen to start in the US with such an anti business climate?" Well I'll tell you. We are going to motivate a thriving economic America through a strong middle class which is supported by tax breaks that can be gotten if we can INCREASE spending on the rich.

RonPaul2016

Pro

RonPaul2016 forfeited this round.
TheSophisticatedIncumbent

Con

First, as my opponent has declined his right to speak in the third round, and because there are no more further rounds to come, I will summarize my main points.

1) You classified the rich as in the top 10%. To be in the top 10% you must be making more than 155,000 $'s a year.
2) You incorrectly used a figure about the top 10% paying 75% of American taxes.
3) In fact the top 10% only pay 35% of all U.S. taxes, while they hold more than 40% of America's wealth.
4) You say that we shouldn't be taking more money from entrepreneurs. And were not. On average entrepreneurs make 87,500 annually well below the top 10% what you consider the "rich".

Thank you for this debate, and I hope to debate you more odten in the future. I rest my case. Good luck!