Chickenman
thelemite

The right wing and fox have used fear to gain influence in America

Chickenman

Pro

Many solutions that would help our citizens are constantly shot down by the threats of their opponents. Change is a scary thing and when Bill O'Reilly tells you that something wont work it scares you even more. Fox and head cheerleader O'Reilly have done a great job of destroying the dreams of health care for all. They applied a tactic of fear which made people think socialized health care would destroy health care. They even scared away the democrat caninidates from supporting it.

I wont bring out the big guns until someone accepts the debate. I look forward to defending my point.
thelemite

Con

First, I would like to thank my opponent for suggesting this debate. It is one that I have been having off and on for many, many years now so doing it in such a controlled and open forum is a real tickle for me. I wish you good luck sir.

It has been my experience that the left wing utilizes fear much more often than the right. This is easily proved and I have written many, many articles in the past on this subject.

I'll state from the beginning that I believe Bill O' Reilly to be as much of a windbag as George Stephanopolis (sp?)or any other liberal pundit, so I will not be quoting him.

If this debate follows the path of the other debates that I've had on this subject, then we will come to the point that we have two different views on what the purpose of government is.

You mentioned Socialized Healthcare, we can debate that particular topic of course, but the point of the debate as written is the utilization of fear as a tool to control the citizens. Do we agree on this? If not please let's change the scope of the topic.

I respectfully give the forum to my opponent.

Chickenman

Pro

First of all I would like to start off with one of the prime ways that the current administration causes fear in its own people. After 9/11 the country was full of grief. The people were scared and wanted revenege. Although we knew Bin Laden was in Afghanistan, we also knew Saddam was going to begin charging for oil in Euros. Bush needed a reason to invade. What scares everybody? WMD. Who isn't terrified of having themseleves destroyed by a nuke? Pretty much nobody.

Do you remember on the news a few years ago when they had those terror levels with the little colored bars? I can't remember ever seeing a green bar and the yellow was seldom lit up. If they could keep us scared then we would be behind whatever connflict it was 100%.
thelemite

Con

My opponent has brought up a few different points that he characterizes as "fear mongering". So let's look at the definition shall we?

FEAR MONGERING: spreading discreditable, misrepresentative information designed
to induce fear and apprehension.

It's my position that two of the points that he brings up cannot be considered in this light, Healthcare and WMD. Why? Because each of the positions of the right are valid arguments and therefore cannot be considered as such. Take health care for instance. In 2006 the federal government spent over $614 billion on just Medicaid, Medicare and other health related expenses, almost � of our entire federal budget for that year. (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

Let me put it another way, the federal government spent more on healthcare in 2006 than they collected in corporate income taxes, excise taxes, estate and gift taxes, customs duties COMBINED. And that's just for seniors, and poor people. What's going to happen to our budget and tax system if the federal government is paying for all of the nation's healthcare expenses? What is that going to do to our healthcare system? It will completely destroy the best healthcare system in the world. So this is not fear mongering.

My opponent mentioned WMD. When every intelligence agency on the planet says there is WMD in Iraq, when every politician on both sides of the aisle say there is WMD in Iraq, when every leader in every industrialized country on the planet says that there is WMD in Iraq, then it is not fear mongering.

So let's look at some serious fear mongering. In the 2004 election, John Kerry told a Des Moines, IA newspaper that President Bush could renew the military draft. http://www.cbsnews.com...
Now a bill did come before Congress to renew the draft. Who presented it? None other than Rep. Charlie Rangle a DEMOCRAT.

For as long as I can remember, liberals have been telling the American voters that seniors will end up homeless and eating dog food if they vote for a republican. Oh and that they won't receive their Social Security checks and all sorts of other rot. This IS fear mongering.

My favorite bit of leftist fear mongering is when they call conservatives "Nazis". This really shows their intelligence as they weren't conservatives, they were socialists. The National Socialist Party to be exact. This would qualify as fear mongering in the worst way.

Voter fraud is also a repeated scare tactic by the Dems. Yelling voter fraud where there is no evidence of such, employing lawyers and filing lawsuits days before elections is a regular exercise of the left.

Another favorite scare tactic of the Left pertains to the federal budget. If a federal program is scheduled to receive say a 10% raise in funding, but when the time comes only receives a 5% INCREASE in funding, then the Right has "slashed" the budget of said federal program. Implying that the people who receive benefits of said program aren't going to get their money. Yet the money has actually been increased. How exactly does this work?

We can also talk about former CNN chief Eason Jordon. In January 2005, during the World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, Jordan said that American troops were targeting journalists in response to a remark from Barney Frank about dead journalists being collateral damage Iraq. He later resigned because he couldn't prove his statements.

I could go on like this ad infinitum. Does the right use scare tactics? Certainly. But not as regularly as the Left does.
Chickenman

Pro

Chickenman forfeited this round.
thelemite

Con

Since my opponent failed to publish his last argument, I will forfeit the round as well and let folks vote based on our previous arguments.

Thank you Chickenman for the debate. It's been fun.
Posted by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
Am I reading your profile right? I believe that it says you are Mormon yet in favor of gay rights and abortion. That is fundamentally contradictory, just wondering if you are kidding about your religeon?
Posted by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
A rediculous assertion chickenman, liberals are the ones who use the fear tactic of "political correctness" to silence all dissenting views. Im glad we have fox news whos not afraid to stand up
Posted by inrainbows 9 years ago
inrainbows
hmmm...I am one to believe that they do use fear through the media. But not sure if i want to debate that right now, i'm having fun with 9/11. Maybe sometime in the future
Posted by thelemite 9 years ago
thelemite
Wow Chickenman!!! I'm going to whip up on you on this debate, but let me say that I am VERY impressed that at 15 years old you have the intelligence and command of the english language and the desire to debate at all.

I hope that we can become friends so that I can watch your ideology change over the years as you get out into the world and take part in all the things that you have debated so far.

Major kudos to you sir!!!
Vote Placed by adamh 9 years ago
adamh
ChickenmanthelemiteTied
Vote Placed by Chickenman 9 years ago
Chickenman
ChickenmanthelemiteTied
Vote Placed by govchapman 9 years ago
govchapman
ChickenmanthelemiteTied
Vote Placed by zjack3 9 years ago
zjack3
ChickenmanthelemiteTied
Vote Placed by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
ChickenmanthelemiteTied
Vote Placed by JonJon 9 years ago
JonJon
ChickenmanthelemiteTied
Vote Placed by inrainbows 9 years ago
inrainbows
ChickenmanthelemiteTied
Vote Placed by Pricetag 9 years ago
Pricetag
ChickenmanthelemiteTied
Vote Placed by thelemite 9 years ago
thelemite
ChickenmanthelemiteTied