Arganger
avan6

The sale of cigarettes should be banned

avan6 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Arganger

Pro

Selling cigarettes means causing and then abusing mental illness, after the first cigarette no more choice is truly involved after that point.

Cigarette smoking causes about one of every five deaths in the United States each year, and about 53,800 people die every year from secondhand smoke exposure each year.

Lets just put an end to this by attacking the source, sellers of tobacco products should be charged for an assault for every cigarette sale, and if a client dies from something related to the smoking habit, the seller should be charged with manslaughter.

This will give us a healthier and more pleasant country to live in.
avan6

Con

I've no reason to ban the sale of cigarettes -- I believe that victimless crimes are okay to a certain extent.

Some 42 million people smoke cigarettes, it's almost impossible to just ban them out of the blue -- it's extremely addicting and would provide headway for an underground or blackmarket sales system.

I'd rather them ban public smoking, littering via cigarettes, excessive smoking with or around children, etc. I think it is okay to hurt yourself as long as you don't hurt others. To do this, just increase the penalties for indecent smoking.

Banning cigarette sales is good in theory, but would undoubtedly be horribly executed and would provide a more chaotic and irritable society.
Arganger

Pro

Like I said about 53,800 people die every year from secondhand smoke exposure each year, that is far from victimless. Not to mention thanks to smokers I personally will never be able to rent an apartment or enter largely populated areas commonly, thanks to extreme sensitivity to smell and smoking.

The idea of banning cigarettes is to keep people from getting into them in the first place, the moment someone first smokes, they're hooked. It is no longer truly a personal choice it is an addiction, a mental illness. It wastes victims money while outright killing them. That isn't right in any form of the word, it's like making someone pay to break their leg.

I'm not advising punishing the smokers, though perhaps requiring rehab would be nice, it also might overwhelm the systems. I'm punishing the people taking advantage of and abusing the mentally ill for monetary gain.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
I smoked once and didn't get addicted. I just tried one and never did it again. You're thinking of heroine with the immediate addiction thing. Plus the nation is experiencing a rapid decrease in the number of people who smoke. So banning it isn't necessaey, because it's a dying industry. It's like if we banned VCR's in the early 2000's (assuming they had some negative health effect. I couldn't think of a better example).
Posted by MotleyBear 1 year ago
MotleyBear
The sale of cigarettes is good for the economy no matter how harmful they are. And no, it's not like making someone pay to break their legs, it's like someone choosing to pay to get their legs broken. People can choose to kill themselves or not. If the sale is banned, that is a liberal move and gives the government more power, which is bad. Who knows? Maybe next the government will decide that medicine kills and ban it, and it could've all started with the ban of cigarettes. Point being, government intervention is unnecessary.
Posted by Masterful 1 year ago
Masterful
People don't know what is best for them, especially children who have NO problem getting hold/stealing of cigs
Posted by Jonathananzante 1 year ago
Jonathananzante
Ciggarettes causes deaths of second hand smokers who didn't even do anything