MaxLascombe
SaintMichael741

The school year should be elongated and summer vacation should only be a month long

SaintMichael741

MaxLascombe

Pro

For many years already, the summer school vacation has been more than two months long, and in some places even more.

But do kids really need this much vacation?Studies show, as we all know, that children need to rest and can not work all day for long strips of time. But it is also said that two months is completely unnecessary. In fact, in some states of the US, kids only have 3 weeks over the summer, and it is enough!

But there are other reasons to this change. If you do the math, taking away a month of school every year could make kids graduate at least a whole year earlier. In the current economy, this could be something very helpful!

I am looking forward to debating this with one of you!
SaintMichael741

Con

I thank my opponent for an interesting topic. That being said, you fail to cite any sources. You say "Do the math" and "studies show", but where are you getting this information from?

I do not think that summer vacation should be altered. Summer vacation in its current format is important because:

1. Summer Jobs
Some children need to work with their families in order to make ends meet. This pertains more to high school students, but since my opponent has failed to specify an age group, I will assume a child is from birth to high school graduation.

2. Extra Curricular Activities
Summer is a great time to try new things for children. The common example of this is a camp. Many parents consider sending their children to camps in order to learn new things and be in a different environment. Children need different environments in order to stimulate brain function and growth.

3. Let Kids be Kids
I do admit this last point is based almost entirely on philosophy, but you're only a child once. I think that we should let the children have fun during summer vacation and relax for as long as possible. When they're adults, they will be working 40 hours a week and dealing with the stresses of everyday life. One of a parent's duties should be to let their children enjoy the best time of their lives.

My opponent says that if all the students would graduate earlier this would help the economy. I disagree completely. All that would do is flood the market with younger graduates. More people fighting for a finite number of jobs does not help the economy.

I thank my opponent again and wait for his response.
MaxLascombe

Pro

I first would like to say that my opponent has presented very good arguments.
But I will now try to counter them and give more points on my side.

1. You said that students in high school (sorry for not being precise on an age range) needed time during the summer vacation to work summer jobs. But in the way I said with shortening the total years of school, wouldn't it be a more intelligent thing to work full time jobs after leaving school (that most certainly have better pay)?

2. Your second argument was extracurricular activities. Although these are necessary in a child's life, they most of the time do not end up taking the whole period of summer vacation. Most summer camps last only 2-4 weeks and other activities are often measured weekly, so I do not believe shortening the summer break would change much. And if someone is willing to never the less pursue his activity, I am sure it can be rescheduled in the year.

3. You third and final point for round 1 was that we should let kids be kids. But I am sure you, just as most adolescents at the ages of 15-18 only want to move on and start there adult life.

Something you added as well was that taking a year off of school time would not help the economy, as there would be more job seekers and more job rejections. But have you thought of the fact that if we can't find jobs in our country, it is because we are rivaled with other countries in the world that may have a better education system. A big example of this is Asian countries such as China and Japan. On average, for young children, they have about 8 hours of studying every day whereas in the US there is only about 4 hours. This of course produces way more competent workers in Asia that often come to the US, and this is why the number of job offers is declining.

An argument I would like to add is why the summer vacation was created. It was done in this way because farm workers needed there children to work during these periods of the year. But today? Before, it was a break to work on something else. It has evolved in something it was never supposed to be. If farm workers had never needed their children to work on their farms, there is a chance we wouldn't be having this debate today, because summer vacation would never have been "a thing".
SaintMichael741

Con

I'll start by addressing your counterpoints.

1. With the economy being the way it is right now, there is no guarantee that there will be more full time jobs when the kids leave school. I think that families with low income need summer jobs in order to stay afloat. Shortening the summer does not guarantee anything when it comes to full time jobs. Also, with school being as long as it is today, students get to enjoy their time at school. School does not just exist in order to get full time jobs; it is an experience. Getting out sooner would shorten this integral time for children to integrate with social groups and learn how to interact in positive manners.

2. If we were just looking at camps, you might have a point. However, camps are only a small segment of the activities open to kids. What if a child wanted to spend the summer learning and perfecting a musical instrument? What if the kid wants to join a baseball team? You counter that a child can make time during the school year, which is true, but it fails to take into account how much easier it is for a child to get into this activity in the summer. Consider that a child is still developing their brain, which leads to an early disadvantage in multitasking. This is especially true when it comes to teenagers. The point is that summer vacation is the most ideal time in pursuing new activities and hobbies. Reducing summer vacation would hurt this.

3. In my opinion, most teenagers don't want to start their adult life when they're 15-18. They want certain aspects, but they rarely want the entire package of adult life. Every teenager wants a car, but do they want to pay taxes and pay for their own food? Probably not. The freedom for kids to enjoy their long summers is essential. I don't think that rushing past your childhood is a good idea. Again, this is just personal philosophy.

Many adults can tell you to appreciate the time you have in school. Summer is an integral part of school and it should not be shortened. To be cliché, it is the yin to school's yang. Children need to have something to look forward to during the school year and nothing is more rewarding than a long refreshing summer.
MaxLascombe

Pro

I will start by addressing your arguments and counter arguments.

"I think that families with low income need summer jobs in order to stay afloat. Shortening the summer does not guarantee anything when it comes to full time jobs."
What about families with children that can not yet work summer jobs? The families would need to pay for day cares/nannies, while they work full time jobs to feed their family. If summer vacation is shortened, people have a secure place they can bring their children, without worrying about extra cost.

"School does not just exist in order to get full time jobs; it is an experience. Getting out sooner would shorten this integral time for children to integrate with social groups and learn how to interact in positive manners."
Although this may be a good argument, it can work both ways: If children have longer summer vacation, they do not have that school time to interact with their friends and teachers, and have a good 'experience'.

"Consider that a child is still developing their brain, which leads to an early disadvantage in multitasking... summer vacation is the most ideal time in pursuing new activities and hobbies."
Let me explain to you why these two arguments contradict each other. If kids have many activities and hobbies, they can not focus on their school work. If they focus on school, and can leave it a year earlier, they will have more focused ideas and have a lot of time later to have hobbies and activities.

"The freedom for kids to enjoy their long summers is essential. I don't think that rushing past your childhood is a good idea. Again, this is just personal philosophy."
I'd just like to make myself clear on something. You say this as if it were erasing childhood all together. All it is taking away, is ONE year. Imagine all the things kids could do in this one year, after they have left school.

I do not have that much time left to write my argument, so I will end here for this round.
SaintMichael741

Con

My rebuttal:

Summer gives a chance for children to plan out their own activities without any worry of a school night. Instead of the daily routine of school, children can plan for what they want. This could be viewed as a critical period for a child; it allows them to take control of their own life for a span of time. Long summer vacations allow for travel with friends and family that would otherwise interrupt their learning capabilities. New places and experiences are very important for the growth of the child's mind.

If kids have many activities and hobbies, they can not focus on their school work.

I feel as if my words are being misunderstood. I think there is a difference between multitasking that affects homework and multitasking during the summer. If a kid is multitasking between several hobbies that he has, that is fine. However, when a child has distractions around him during the school year he suffers. With the more 'focused ideas', I think that a child's development should be broad. They should take in all sorts of bits and pieces of information and process them.

You say this as if it were erasing childhood all together. All it is taking away, is ONE year.

I apologize if I come off like that. Long summers are important to children. I think that they allow children to take a fresh breath away from school and persue other interests.

To be fair, I see both sides. However, I think that long summers is the least of the problems of the educational system. I think there is much needed reform in order to benefit the children, but long summers is not a clear problem.

Sorry if I haven't addressed everything, bit in a rush myself.

MaxLascombe

Pro

MaxLascombe forfeited this round.
SaintMichael741

Con

I extend all previous arguments.
MaxLascombe

Pro

MaxLascombe forfeited this round.
SaintMichael741

Con

Vote for me.
Posted by gordonjames 4 years ago
gordonjames
As an employer, it is difficult to find students who understand how to work.
I like the idea of a work term for students (also called summer vacation)
Posted by gordonjames 4 years ago
gordonjames
Vote Placed by gordonjames 4 years ago
gordonjames
MaxLascombeSaintMichael741Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Max didn't show up. Neither cited sources. CON could have elaborated on the idea of summer work, as most students have not had enough experience working