FrozenPanda
GooseOnTheLoose

The schooling system is currently terrible in the US.

FrozenPanda

Pro

Round 1- Introduction.
Round 2- Debate.
Round 3- Counter Argument.
Round 4- Final thoughts.
Round 5- Counter argument/closure.

I currently think as a student that the current schooling systems has a lot of unnecessary factors that may not translate well to real world situations. And thus they should rework it and give students more of an opportunity exploring careers and learning checks/balances and much more during high school, rather than having several mathematical/science courses.
GooseOnTheLoose

Con

I think otherwise. I believe learning school subjects in highschool is extremely helpful and it provides numerous benefits. It helps the students become more well-rounded in future.
FrozenPanda

Pro

Before I begin I would like to clarify that I do understand the united states is a very privileged country. And that we have many resources to enhance are ability to educated ourselves and others. Lets begin with the requirements in order to obtain your high school diploma.

English requires 4 semesters worth of work.
Mathematics requires 4 semesters worth of work.
Science requires 3 semesters worth of work.
Social Studies requires 4 semesters worth of work.
World language requires 2 semesters worth of work.
Health and physical education requires 1 semester worth of work.

This is one of the many examples, here is the source.
http://www.ncpublicschools.org...

Of course, the credit system may vary from school to school, but there is several elements wrong here. The first is the fact that students lack room to be creative in there studies. A lot of sensing functions are attributed in schooling, but they lack intuition for most of the time. Many say that the current teaching methods destroy the function to be creative because it is rather linear, take a few lessons, then take a test. And possibly a project every once in a while. As school doesn't allow any time to break barriers and express yourself. If someone wanted to work in the emergency medical department, typically EMTs or Paramedics. Why would you need 4 mathematical courses? I haven't even remembered the math that I studied in the 8th grade, or the 9th, most kids won't. How is this beneficial to joining the emergency response team in any regard.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Instead why don't they take more first aid courses in order to help others, wouldn't it save lives? Why learn math when they can be so much more, and build up on there potential. Of course this situation may also vary, if someone wanted to enter engineering or architecture the math courses may provide benefits l. Especially the architecture and geometry combination, but if they needed to learn those elements. How is science providing any use? I understand that school is beneficial in one way or another, but the current credit system is restricted and doesn't make room for students to be creative and expand there own potential. Instead it's feeding them information and giving them pointless jobs to be additions to the current corporate world.

Now lets talk about life courses, I am also aware that some schools provide life courses. Such as teaching people how to balance checks, but from what I have heard this occurs in Canada. Not America. So many life skills need to be taught to us, for example balancing a check.

No school has ever taught us how to balance checks, or take a look at fundamental life skills in order to advance. Buying a house, getting insurance, and so much more. NONE of this is taught during are many years of educations, in which they could fit a course like this in at any moment. It's rather interesting to see that they would rather teach complicated algebraic equations that in which none of us will remember within the next 2 years. It's not that hard to boot off a math course in order to add an additional class in to teach us these things. Many kids after high school are lost, since they don't know how to buy a house, or how to obtain insurance. Which in the real world are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. And what about the laws, I haven't learnt a single one of the laws in my school.

No social skills are taught during your early years as well, which explains why people struggle with social issues. I strongly believe this wouldn't be the case if we were to have one of these classes as well. Were never taught about the government, additional laws. But the most important one of them all, we are never taught how to think.
http://successfulstudent.org...

You would imagine school being a place to enhance your brain, but it isn't. You would think that school is made to be creative, or to learn. But it isn't.

Most of the things you learn in school would be forgotten about. But the problem is, most of school requires just memorizing. The only things that require you to problem solve in school is math. And of course I can give it props for that, but even so. Most of the math lessons I have learned I have either left behind me because I don't need it anymore. When a test is announced you usually spend some time reflecting over what you have learned, memorize a few things, answer the questions. Then never learn about it again, thus eliminating the whole purpose of school. Its rather interesting to see that school is a place where you are supposed to learn, but we don't learn much. We just put time and effort into memorizing what the teacher has said, and it isn't even that helpful when translating into real life scenarios. I want it so that students have to actually think in there own ways, in their own minds. By being creative, and looking into certain events. But this is never the case. We learn what the teachers tell us to learn, restricting us in so many ways.

Modern events are also important, the presidential election is on its way and no one is being taught about the laws and stances, only kids that are interested would do additional research. What about the ebola epidemic which wasn't taught either? Why are we learning about the wild west, or world war 1 when we could be learning about the modern events. They say they teach history so we don't make the same mistakes again, but wouldn't it make more sense to reflect off of modern culture, the problems now. Instead of back then? Wouldn't that be a better and more clearer picture on what not to do in order to make the world a better place?

The reason why I think it's bad is because we are spending to much time on things we shouldn't be spending it on. Math/Science/English/History/Language are the 5 main factors that we are taught, and for most of the time, only one would usually benefit someone off of their own life time. History shouldn't be history, as interesting as it is, and bear in mind I love history, should be replaced with modern culture in order to provide clearer examples on mistakes and what not to do. Mathematics should provide benefits to some, but most is forgotten about. You see there is plenty of room to remove a few semesters worth of Math/Science/English since they require so much, and replace it with things that will help us in our future lives. And the world itself.

America has a lot of money, we have a lot of resources. So why are we not using them properly, we need to learn things that will make school more entertaining, more stimulating and potentially more fun. And whats great is that we all may benefit if this were to change.

So lets think about it in a matter of perspective. Kids don't like school because they see it as a terrible way to educate themselves. Most of my knowledge has come from my self studies on other things. In order to fix the situation, I conclude that the united states should remove some of the current courses, maybe an additional Science/Math/English semester. And replace it with something that may help us, such as balancing checks, manners, social skills or maybe even enhancing are ability to response/think faster and effectively. I also strongly believe that modern culture is another important course as well that is never really touched or used correctly.

Hope you post an argument, I look forward to an interesting debate.
GooseOnTheLoose

Con

GooseOnTheLoose forfeited this round.
FrozenPanda

Pro

FrozenPanda forfeited this round.
GooseOnTheLoose

Con

GooseOnTheLoose forfeited this round.
FrozenPanda

Pro

FrozenPanda forfeited this round.
GooseOnTheLoose

Con

GooseOnTheLoose forfeited this round.
FrozenPanda

Pro

I gave you 4 rounds to post an argument, next time if you're going to accept a debate. Post.
GooseOnTheLoose

Con

GooseOnTheLoose forfeited this round.