WillDC22
Trust

The sky is blue

Trust
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

WillDC22

Con

I know this sounds ridiculous, but hear me out on this one. I know the sky appears blue, but it is not actually blue. there is scientific evidence to prove that the sky is not blue, there is a link to the video that proves this is linked below the argument
https://www.youtube.com...
so, who wants to argue that the sky is blue?
Trust

Pro

Well as explained by the video, the light is getting into our eyes but his explanation is kind of wrong. See, the light doesn't go straight to our eyes when we see the sky, in fact its is the suns rays reflecting the color of the water, which is not actually a color per say, but when you think about the colors as a mode of perception, its much more intriguing. The water can reflect a certain spot on that spectrum of white light, the blue, and when we see the sky, its just a light shade of blue of the water. So in the end what we see is blue, just like when we look at a lime; its green because the pigment reflects, or doesn't accept, green light making the only light going into our eyes green. Sunset and sunrise are just optical effects of the atmosphere as well. I cant really describe the whole scenario in detail because it requires both physics and math.
Anyways, the definition of sky is basically, that blue stuff that is always above us.
Welcome to the Real World, jackass.

Respectfully,
Truth
WillDC22

Con

You bring up some very good points, and I am glad you did not give a simple answer, but you are wrong, the sky does not appear blue because of the ocean, regardless of which side you're on, we have to both agree that the sky appears blue because the sun emits blue light (along with every other color light in the spectrum of visible light) what the video I linked explains is that the sky appears blue because the blue light is more likely to scatter due mainly to 2 things, 1. It's abundance in the light emitted by the sun, and 2. The short period length that blue light has. It also explains that the sky is also blue because the color on the other end of the spectrum, red, has the opposite situation where it is not abundant in the spectrum, and it has a very short period length (relatively speaking). The combination of those two things makes the sky appear blue, when in reality it is still a spectrum of light you are seeing.
Trust

Pro

Nice, I like your persistence, so ill end it here. What we consider sky, regardless of the scientific research behind light, is blue. Here, follow simple logical statements, If what we see when we look up (outside) is the sky, then the color of what we see is the color of the sky. So if the color that we see when we look up is blue (in the day) then the color of the sky must be blue. I don't remember Geometry from high school, but these proofs were used there and then later in pre-calculus but with more stuff. I just used the simple ones. Using conditionals from mathematics, we have proved that the sky is blue.
Your welcome.

Respectfully,
Truth
WillDC22

Con

I am not saying the sky is not blue, but perception is not truth, otherwise how would we know the sun is not actually red (or yellow, depends who you ask)
Trust

Pro

Perception is perception. Your original question is if the sky is blue. Obviously the sky looks blue to the vast majority of people who have vision. So when you ask what color the sky is and you tell me that what you see when you look up is not blue. then I don't know what you're trying to accomplish. The color is blatantly blue, regardless of perception.

I don't know what so fascinating about what color we see when we look up. Being a skeptic is alright, but now you have started to sound like one of those guys that thinks some politicians are reptilians and that the Illuminati exist.

Please just end it for us and accept that the sky, the plain definition of sky, is blue in color, regardless of how it came to be blue to us.

Looks can be deceiving? Great, who doesn't know that? Trying to say the sky is not blue is just sounding conceited.

Respectfully,
Trust
WillDC22

Con

The original question was asking whether the sky is blue, and not whether the sky appears blue, I would also argue the sky is not blatantly blue, in fact it looks like white and blue, but what it looks like is not the question. I don't believe in the theory you have compared to my argument, I have come across those people on twitter. I agree the sky appears blue, but someone in the comments made a good point that color is mostly our perception, so I guess I lost this argument in a way
Trust

Pro

I didn't mean to come off as a rude person before. I wanted to point out that the title says a statement that is pretty vague to discuss. Truthfully, I think you won the "perception and what the sky really is" argument, while I think I stood by the statement "The sky is blue".

I appreciate the time you put into this question, which will probably not benefit either of us in any way whatsoever. Its just a fun fact really.
WillDC22

Con

So, the argument is over? Ok, time for another horrible joke:
The sky is usually gray here, not blue #coastalproblems
Trust

Pro

Please excuse the colloquial language but, LOL. Grey man, im in the FL and its usual blue here.

GG NO RE

Respectfully,
Trust
Posted by WillDC22 2 years ago
WillDC22
That explanation was quite fantastic
Posted by WillDC22 2 years ago
WillDC22
I can see someone should teach physics
Posted by sceder 2 years ago
sceder
When we have something we call green, we say that sunlight or artificial light is hitting the "green" object. Then some of the waves will get absorbed and some reflected in every which way. The waves reflected have a certain frequency, since the object's properties include absorbing certain frequencies, they must reflect the remaining waves. The certain and reflected waves are picked up by your eyes and translated to what you see. Saying that the green object is red because visually green object the absorbs the red waves doesn't make the visually green object red. Nothing is really a color or has a color, it's just they have properties that reflect certain waves. As humans we like to simplify things, so saying the sky is blue typically is short for saying "the sky has properties that reflect the sunlight's blue waves". Actually, to add on, the sky gets red in the morning and night because red waves can travel farther and last long, since they have a larger frequency than blue. When you on Earth in the morning or evening, you are farther than normally in the day, therefore you will get more of the longer ranged waves (red).
Posted by WillDC22 2 years ago
WillDC22
That's nice of you to say
Posted by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
Pro literally informed Con that he is going to forfeit. I'd say if he is that truthful, no conduct points should be taken away from him.
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
WillDC22Trust
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: It looks like pro did not forfeit after all (see comments and compare to second round). Unfortunately, Con concedes due to another comment.