societyisawry
happywhale

The socio-ethical reforms being pushed by todays youth.

societyisawry

Con

There are many reforms being pushed upon the government by a demographic that is mostly youth and young-adults. I am referring to everything from "safe place" reforms being pushed in colleges to topics like racism, which have gotten out of hand (not speaking in terms of the offensive aspects). My point is, allowing these reforms to take place are placing the youth in the wrong mindset. Now is a good time to say that when I mention the youth and the demographic of a certain topic extends beyond the youth, then I am referring to them as well. After all, everyone involved bears, will bear, or will teach future bearers of the responsibilities of society. I feel that the [American] youth of today's society are being coddled, and told that it will all be okay. However, the reality is that it will not. If we are to live in this society and uphold its beliefs in a way that keeps it operating smoothly and fruitfully, like a society should, then this is certainly not the mindset to be allowed. Without going into government conspiracy, I would like to point out that we are allowing all these changes to take place, and this is essentially teaching people that if they want something, all they have to do is protest, and if it is not given to them, they simply escalate their attempts, and that is what causes problems. This can be compared to the acts of the colonists when faced with the Townshend Act, as well as the response to a spoiled child when he/she wants something. But as in the boycotts in response to the Townshend act, these actions will eventually yield no results, escalating the attempts (hence the Boston Tea Party, as well as the American Revolution). In the case of the spoiled child, if the named object is refused, a temper tantrum quickly ensues. Is it not sad that the acts of our public can be compared to the acts of an almost mindless toddler? We are allowing these things to go on and on, without realising the detrimental effects that this is having on the demographic. That is all speaking in terms of control, and the effects of the expression of these opinions (this will be connected shortly). However, why are these opinions being expressed? They did not come out of nowhere, so why do we see them now? They were always there, just in less cogitative formats. What I mean by that is, we have allowed these opinions to flourish unchecked, and they have reached more complicated levels. If I may speak in lamens terms, I feel that the mindset of these people is "Well if we can get this changed, why can't we get this changed?" However, not everyone sees this change, they just see the immediate topic. The purpose of the aforementioned was to place this topic in perspective. I feel the basic reason these opinions are arising is because people are looking for a pain-free life, and I use the term "pain" loosely. Too many people are trying to live this life, and refusing to just accept that there will be pain, and accept that you will need to learn how to move beyond that pain. The point is, if we keep giving these people what they want, we are going to create a society of what is basically spoiled toddlers, like the example I used before. The problem is, if these "tantrums" keep escalating to the level of Baltimore, this will not be a safe place to live in. The question is, do you agree and why?
happywhale

Pro

First of all, I want to applaud you upon your in-depth analysis of the current state of the world. Before we begin, I would like to ask you one question. Have you ever played Angry Birds? If so, you would understand how impatient and aggressive the birds are. They attack the little piggies relentlessly and ferociously in pursuit of their stolen eggs, the birds' pride and joy. We are the birds. More specifically we as a, society, are angry little fireballs, trying to make our voice heard in the world. Because of our lack of forward-looking people like Martin Luther King Jr. and John F. Kennedy, we tend to focus on what is important to ourselves. No one can see the world as it is, only as what we think it is. Or do we? Are you sure that all the cries for change that you see on the news is the opinion of the whole? Have you ever heard anyone tell you, "The one that yells the loudest is not always the most right?" This is the problem we have. We, as a society, are so close-minded, so focused on our own agendas, that we refuse to believe that others may be more right than we are. Those who are open-minded and understand the situation tend to stay quiet, hidden under the blanket of ignorant calls for "justice." Let me just be clear, that I recognize what you are saying. The way you compared the colonists to ourselves as a society was quite interesting and you had some bold and strong statements. However, you showed how you had a very circular train of thought, just like the Angry Birds. It is important to consider how everyone thinks, not just the loudest children of the bunch. By the way, if you do manage to get through my boring monologue, kudos to you! Remember, that I am not on the side against you, but on the same side as you, the side that fights to make the earth a better place to live.
societyisawry

Con

societyisawry forfeited this round.
happywhale

Pro

happywhale forfeited this round.
societyisawry

Con

societyisawry forfeited this round.
happywhale

Pro

happywhale forfeited this round.