TBR
FreedomBeforeEquality

The sorry state of Colorado now, just 1 year after legalizing marijuana.

TBR

Con

This debate is for FreedomBeforeEquality.

Round 1 is for acceptance
Round 2 pro & con make cases
Round 3 & 4 for rebuttal and counter rebuttal

Primary shared source will be the cspan video linked to below, but the debate is not limited to only this video.

http://www.c-span.org...

FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

I'll take it. I am interested in seeing what you were able to take away from the talks and witnessing the shortcomings of all the promises people were fed about this issue just 1 short year ago.
TBR

Con

TBR forfeited this round.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

Well I suppose I'll start. This debate stemmed from the c-span debate at the link above. I again invite anyone interested in the points that I support to please watch the video through its entirety and not just stop at Brian Vincente's portion. Gina Carbone has valid counterpoints to all of Vincente's, which his mostly contain the same repeating arguments that were used to sway citizens in the first place). This is supposed to be a look back at what has actually happened which she hits on with good points and facts, though perhaps not presented as eloquently as Vincente came off.

I'm mostly standing by the opinions and data presented by Ben Cort (57:24), who's treatment program through University of Colorado Hospital basically made the following observations:

(1:01:29) 1 in 6 teens become addicted [to <12% THC content marijuana]. This is relevant because most people when asked will say that they don't think marijuana is an addictive drug. (1:02:21) Cannabis withdrawl is an actual diagnosis used. On top of that the rate (1 in 6) is a pretty substantial one. Kids have a greater susceptibility to it. It is proven to affect the developing brain more so than the adult one, concerning long term detrimental effects.

(1:02:48) Naturally occurring Marijuana contains ~.6% THC levels. There is mention even in this video that THC levels now are in the range of some 30% in some strains. Plants are being bred and genetically modified to contain more of the actve ingredient. Again, being the ignorant public they are, most people who support weed would try to justify this drug as being very naturally occurring and therefore less harmful than others. This is simply not the case. It is steadily being developed into another hardcore drug, even more so now that commercial industry has the greenlight to do what they want with it virtually unregulated. There are no limits being put on potency or health risk. Its not being treated like a drug at all ... and its also reaping the benefit of not being treated like a crop or food either (no FDA regulations on packaging and labeling etc.)

(1:03:14) The New Zealand study. Cannabis Associated with Worse Social Outcomes. Go figure.
Then a bit on how significant an IQ drop kids-midlife receive from use. But we all knew that already right?

(1:03:56) Im so glad he refers to it as an experiment here. One on unwilling participants. The kids being affected by these laws didnt get to vote for one. For two, there is a very large portion of the population who voted against and is now being subjected to the negative effects borne on their communities from it. Lasting effects. Granted they had a democratic vote, and the majority gets to stomp all over them now, but for something this large perhaps a higher percentage of citizens should have been required to agree to this so that the entire state wasnt ruined overnight. Maybe something like county by county legalization or something.

(1:04:47) More expenditures by the police for, not less. Not "more focused on serious offenders", no, ofcourse they are now more concerned with protecting their own officers from the backlash theyd recieve if someone high on drugs decided to sue or thought their rights were being infringed. This is just another thing to add to that list. And it doesnt just endanger them because of weed. Any drug associated with it before can not be searched for because we legalized one form of intake, making the others easier to hide in with it. There cant be profiling based on the smoking of these drugs, and officers now have to be trained for that.

Lobbying and special interest groups brought this about.

(1:06:43) Fatalities at the wheel where the driver was intoxicated with marijuana are up. Don't care about your causal speculations for the wreck, the fact that the number follows that specific group of users regardless of cause of the accident says something. Were they just the types to naturally be careless behind the wheel and hence smoke weed, being careless in life as well? Idk. But the # of occurrences went up also. So I don't think we can call those two coincidences.

He touches on how unregulated sales are. Weed is a social drug ... people share it as much (probably more) as they do say something like cigarettes. On the side sales, person to person are not able to be regulated in any fashion and its because of this that it so widely spreads outside of the age bracket we tried to set. If the culture is to practice this form of "sharing" then its a reason to outlaw it. In a society that was responsible and would not sell to children ... the system they set up might work. Here and now though it just makes the law a joke in the sense that you set an age limit that you will have no ability to have any control over.

(1:11:32) Gateway drugs?! I thought that was one of those false arguments from ethics class. Who didn't see this one coming? ... everyone who voted yes on amendment 64 of course.

Ill leave it there for now. But basically the "regulation" of this drug for public consumption was completely passed over and is a joke. Their population is being punished for it. Im not saying it couldnt come to be legalized elsewhere, but man I hope people look at whats happened there and learn to do this much much better. I think their emphasis should be like Ben said, we should be working to make our society less inclined to use addictive drugs instead of fighting or not fighting their use. Sure legalize it, legalize everything ... but have a population smart enough not to use it in the first place ... thats the real challenge.
TBR

Con

TBR forfeited this round.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

*See above argument and comment section.
TBR

Con

TBR forfeited this round.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

FreedomBeforeEquality forfeited this round.
Posted by FreedomBeforeEquality 2 years ago
FreedomBeforeEquality
Its all good. I know the feeling. GL with your work.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
I have put off writing this message. It"s just silly to not fess-up to the fact I overextended at the wrong time. I am in the middle of a roll-out, and sitting at my office 12-14 hours each day. It"s not all consuming, in fact there is more sitting on my hands than not. It"s just consistent interruptions that make actual chunks of time impossible for the next week or more.

As much as I wanted to discuss the topic, I simply was foolish to propose the debate knowing what I had in front of me. I wanted a good debate, and I was the one to come up far short of what FreedomBeforeEquality and the topic deserved. I hope to resurrect the question when I can dedicate myself to the debate. Vote pro, and please accept my apology FreedomBeforeEquality.
FreedomBeforeEquality
Its all good.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
I am having a great time reading stuff for this debate, but its taking me time. I'm not neglecting it. Hang tight.
FreedomBeforeEquality
Yeah that's fine. I'm a workin man too and have other things to do ... but ill try to be as present as possible. Its a decent topic I could go either way with.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Thank-you for accepting the challenge FreedomBeforeEquality. I need to get my son to bed, watch through the entire video, and get some sleep.

I will start working on the argument tomorrow.

Good-luck.