Capitalistslave
potpie

The state governments should pay voters for voting

Capitalistslave has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Capitalistslave

Pro

The state governments could choose any way to fund this, but I would prefer it be funded through a progressive income tax. Regardless, that's not going to be part of the debate.

For this debate, we will make this one assumption:
1) the government will be able to pay for paying everyone to vote. So, it won't affect the deficit of the government in any way.

Everything else is fair game to debate on though. If you do object to that assumption, you can offer reasons why in the comments, and I may be persuaded to not go off of that assumption.

Now, here are the rules for the debate:
1) No personal attacks, insults, or ad hominem
2) The total number of rounds used for argument should be equal to the total number of rounds you see here minus one because I am not using round 1 for argument. This is to keep the total number of rounds used for argument even between us. I don't care which round you choose to waive. Though, it would make more sense to waive either the first or last round. The middle rounds would be awkward if waived.
3) The first round used for argument should just be main arguments, no rebuttals in this round. In other words, if you're second to post your main arguments, it should not be in rebuttal to the person who was first to post main arguments.
4) The last round used for argument in the debate should be just rebuttals to your opponents arguments and/or conclusions. No new arguments used in this round. New information and statistics are fine to present in this round, provided they are in rebuttal to your opponent's arguments.
If any of the above rules are violated by either side, this is justification for voters to award the point in conduct to the one who did not violate them,

If you have any questions or want to have one of the rules edited/removed, say so in the comments. If you want one of the rules edited/removed, provide reason why and I may be open to editing/removing that one. Be sure to do that BEFORE accepting the debate. If you accept the debate, you accept the rules that are written here. If I agree to removing/editing one of the rules, I'll physically edit this round and remove/edit it.

Here's my full position:
State governments should pay voters for voting in elections. The amount will depend on how many positions or laws you voted on. The more of these things you vote on, the more money you get. Additionally, a test of political knowledge will be given, that depending on what you get, will control how much money you get. I'd say if you fail it, you wouldn't be paid for voting. If you pass it, then depending on the percentage you got right, will control how much money you get. Say, for example, someone got 100% right on the test and voted on 20/20 measures/positions that needed to be voted on. Perhaps the 100% means they will get $100 per vote they cast, for a total of $2000. Maybe you get $1 per percent right, starting at 60% right(anything below that won't get any money).

potpie

Con

The State government paying voters will promote fraud, will force voters without a fully formed opinion to take a stance making political polarization worse than it already is, and will become a bureaucratic monster riddled with corruption, inefficiency and will waste the money of the taxpayers.

A test of political knowledge can easily be manipulated into a political agenda by the ruling party with techniques such as loaded and leading questions. This will further the political polarization of states by empowering the leading party reducing the amount of swing states and hurting the entire democratic process. In addition, for many questions the answer might be partisan such as questions about the "gender wage gap" which some argue does not even exist.

By paying those who succeed in the test of political knowledge not only does it promote inequality by benefiting those with easy access to the Internet and other vast reservoirs of knowledge but it also can hurt productivity in the days leading to the test where people skip work in order to study up on the subjects. In many cases, people will swallow facts with no real understanding of the political intricacies of them and will form opinions from ignorance just to milk the money from the state government hurting the citizens who actually understand the political climate.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
Capitalistslave
I apologize, I won't be able to post in time. I thought I had enough time to do so, but I am currently taking classes while working part time at the same time. Usually this allows me to do a few debates at a time, but this time because I have/had 3 tests this week in school, I didn't have as much time. It looked like I was going to be able to still post at least once during these past 3 days, but I forgot I also had a couple of homework assignments in addition to the need to study for the tests. If it wasn't for the additional homework assignments, I would have been able to post to this.