The string instrument instrument family is better than the other instrument families.

Started: 4/5/2014 Category: Music

I play musical instruments in both the string and woodwind family, so I would find this argument less biased towards one family. Anyway... I am pro for this because of the following reasons:

The violin family of the string family is often seen as the simplest looking instruments to play. This may be the case, but in reality, the violin, viola and cello etc is capable of playing up to 4 octaves. The string family instruments can be applied to a whole range of genres such as classical, bluegrass, blues, jazz, even dubstep. Apart from having to change positions while play a string instrument, the violin, cello etc is the easiest instrument to play.

The making of a violin is considered an art in which it requires thorough precision. Like art, every violin is different in one way or another. Even creating a varnish for an instrument is considered a skill.

String instruments are said to have been the earliest known instruments to be used for music. Italy is said to be the birthplace of these magnificent instruments in which some of the finest violins, harps cellos etc were made there. Some of these violins can be worth up to £20,000,000 and are considered a national treasure.

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for giving me the opportunity to debate on this topic. I am a percussionist myself, and will be mainly using that along with the small amounts of knowledge I have on woodwinds and brass to counter my opponent's arguments. I believe that it is fit to use the same 3 categories my opponent used in his first argument.

1. Music
While it is true that an instrument from the string family is diverse, an tuned instrument from the percussion family, such as a piano or bells, is even more diverse, with most modern pianos reaching 7 octaves, and a minor third. Learning the piano is especially handy, as when you learn the piano, you also know the music theory behind bells and timpani, and can learn these without much trouble. In the string family, you must relearn fingerings and bow angles for each note and chord, making learning a new instrument tedious, where tuned percussion stacks upon itself for each new instrument.

2. Art
The making of any instrument is considered an art. The opposition states that the making of a string instrument requires precision. While this may be true, it is also true that the making of every instrument requires precision, not just the string family.

3. History
While the violins may have been the earliest instrument used for music, drums are the earliest instrument period. Before man could carve a violin and tune one, the could stretch a hide over a hollow bowl. While these were not used exclusively for music, because music was not important at the time, drums were used for things like sacred rituals and war.

Again, I would like to thank my opponent for this debate and I look forward to the next two rounds.

All my sources are not citable, and I apologize for this fact. My sources for information are my personal experience and history classes

Now, I am just going to focus on the musical aspect. According to many, the violin has the one most beautiful and recognisable sounds within the orchestral instrument range. I am not being naive, I also believe that instruments such as the oboe, flute and bassoon have wonderful sounds. It is just that I will always favour the string family. learning an instrument of the string family is said to be very rewarding e.g. it allows you to develop a greater musical ear, the violin is highly valued in education. Some of the greatest musicians and composers of our time and before our time such as Mozart (classical), Dvorak(Romantic), Itzhak Perlman, Hilary Hahn.

Like percussion instruments, it is easy to play another instrument in the string family if you already play one. I understand that the glockenspiel, marimba and xylophone are rather similar in how they are played. The main instrument I play is the violin and because of this I have found easier because of the violin to play the viola and cello etc. This is because, all the instruments in the violin family except the Double bass, are tuned in 5ths, meaning that changing from instruments is relatively easy.

In terms of performing music, the string family is considered the 'back bone' of the orchestra, especially the cello. It is most often the 1st violin who plays the melody with the rest of the family to support this. Yes, I will admit that the violin section doesn't always play the melody, but it is quite common for them.

nitrodude2000 forfeited this round.

This round is rather awkward now because I have nothing to counter with. NitroDude, I hope that you can respond with something in R3.

I have nothing to say now. If Nitrodude forfeits this round, I will probably restart this debate with anyone.

Here are some jokes:

Jacques Thibault, the violinist, was once handed an autograph book by a fan while in the greenroom after a concert.
"There's not much room on this page," he said. "What shall I write?"
Another violinist, standing by, offered the following helpful hint: "Write your repertoire."

What is the definition of a half step?
Two oboes playing in unison.

How do you get a cellist to play fortissimo?
Write "pp, expressivo" on the music.

nitrodude2000 forfeited this round.
Posted by psyduck 2 years ago
The stupid of this debate hurts
Posted by Teemo 2 years ago
If you change the amount of time to argue to 72 hours, I would gladly accept this debate.
Posted by Teemo 2 years ago
Completely false. Wikipedia is not reliable. It is quite obvious percussion came way before string instruments, considering anything can be percussion, including clapping hands.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
Vote Placed by CJKAllstar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF.