16kadams
CarlaJMena

The sun is the main cause of global warming

16kadams

16kadams

Con

No semantics or trolling, this is to be a honest debate with serious attitudes.

I would usually argue pro, but I am devils advocating. I argue the sun is not the main reason for current climate change, my opponent argues the sun is the main reason for current climate change. Current global warming is from the last century, though data from before then is welcomed as evidence as long as it relates to the now.

1st round acceptance.

good luck!
CarlaJMena

Pro

Good luck,

I completely disagree with you. The sun does not cause global warming, even though it is a part of it. Global warming happens because of pollution. One kind of pollution is electrical pollution. Electricity causes pollution in many ways, some worse than others. In most cases, fossil fuels are burned to create electricity. When we throw our garbage away, it also causes global warming because the garbage goes to landfills. If you recycle, less trash goes to the dump, and less trash gets burned. As a result, there are fewer greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere. Also, the greenhouse gases of cars can cause global warming. It is mainly our faults that global warming happens. Why do we need factories? Oh right for nothing. Chocolate are made in them. What do we need chocolate for when we have healthy vegetables? They also produce dolls. What do we need dolls for? Oh right just for simple plain entertainment. Its just obsurd.
16kadams

Con

My opponent argued my side, I said in round one that the sun is not the main cause of warming, and that my opponent (you) argue that the sun is the main part of global warming. My opponent argues my side, so I guess we can both evils advocate :)

"I argue the sun is not the main reason for current climate change, my opponent [you] argues the sun is the main reason for current climate change." - round one.

C1: Earth is heating -- Sun is cooling

The tempertures in the last 35 years have been skyrocketing. Over the last 30 years, the sun has been on a downward trend. So the sun and tempetures are actually going opposite directions. This means it is highly unlikley the sun can be causing any warming (or aleast any of the warming we have seen in the past 30 years). Arguing the sun causes warming I argue is a myth. This is cherry picking the data, as this is based on past corelations then argued it makes the same correlation today. But this ignores the fact the two trends have opposite. [1] This is shown by this graph, accessed from skeptical science.com:

http://www.skepticalscience.com...

Wanna know whats hard from this? Based on the graph (1940-60) we a downturn beginning, once the decrease begins the increase in temperture does as well. We can see it si possible the warming before 1940 was natural, but then we see from 1940 on it is unlikley the sun can have an impact, so based on the sun theory we should see flatline or cooling, hence we must assume another factor ties into this.

Also, higher sunspot numbers are linked to higher sun radiation which causes the warming. We also see a decrease in sunspots since 2000. Skeptical science again has a graph:

http://www.skepticalscience.com...

As we can see assuming warming from 2000 on from the sun is invalid.

Another graph:

http://www.skepticalscience.com...

Different data but similar trends: sun cooling, while earth warming (see graph one).

TO end the argunemnt: "Various independent measurements of solar activity all confirm the sun has shown a slight cooling trend since 1978."[2]

C2: Unprecedented warming

http://ossfoundation.us...

As we can see, if this was a natural cycle we would have basic ups and downs, but we see a continuation of ups based on computer models. This hints other (other a in not sun) natural cycles (or humans) are influencing this.

C3: Natural factors other then the sun

C1 already proved the possiblity of the sun creating warming is impossible, so what about other natural cycles? Answer? PDO warm/cool cycles.

http://www.climate-skeptic.com...

So another warm natural factor is a more then likely factor for global warming. As the PDO warms the pacific, huge portion of the earth, we can see there is an overall averaging factor to this. The averaging shows the PDO cycle causes global warming.

C4: Human factor?

One word: graphs.

Co2 -
Currently, humans are emitting around 29 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere per year. Around 43% remains in the atmosphere - this is called the 'airborne fraction'. The rest is absorbed by vegetation and the oceans. While there are questions over how much the airborne fraction is increasing, it is clear that the total amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is increasing dramatically. Current CO2 levels are the highest in 15 million years."[3]

Temperture:

Correlation found.

CONCLUSION:

My opponent argued the wrong side, in round one I already showed clearly I was arguing sun had no effect. I therefore encourage my opponent to either devils advocate that the sun is the main cause [ <- hopefully this] or concede. I urge a CON vote. I have shown CO2 and the PDO are more likely factors in warming then the sun.

[1] http://www.skepticalscience.com...
[2] http://www.skepticalscience.com...
[3] http://www.skepticalscience.com...
CarlaJMena

Pro

My Mistake, I have not realized that you were against this situation, Next time, i will make sure i read better :] I do agree with the information youve back up your details with. As so we are, the evils advocate :]
16kadams

Con

I dont know if my opponent gave up, if she did I hope she argues next round "I give up". Thank you for agreeing with me though :)

I said devils advocate, I might have had a typo. That means where you argue the side you disagree with, I argued against my beliefs. As I argued against my beliefs I devils advocated, I was hoping you could argue that the sun had an effect, but I suspect you prefer not to do so.

As this is the case a CON vote is warranted.
CarlaJMena

Pro

I give up for this debate :) Seems like both of us have very similiar ways of thinking.
16kadams

Con

I thank my opponents humble concession. :)

Define similar :P We disagree on this subject, I agree that the sun causes warming and devils advocated the debate XD

VOTE CON
CarlaJMena

Pro

Vote Con :)
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
lol please post the last argument :P
Posted by CarlaJMena 4 years ago
CarlaJMena
@zaradui my fault :]
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
Lol @ Carla arguing the wrong side.
Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
bossyburrito
Best.Arguments.Ever.
Vote Placed by bossyburrito 4 years ago
bossyburrito
16kadamsCarlaJMenaTied
Reasons for voting decision: AMAZING
Vote Placed by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
16kadamsCarlaJMenaTied
Reasons for voting decision: The fvck...
Vote Placed by CalvinAndHobbes 4 years ago
CalvinAndHobbes
16kadamsCarlaJMenaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
16kadamsCarlaJMenaTied
Reasons for voting decision: lol
Vote Placed by thett3 4 years ago
thett3
16kadamsCarlaJMenaTied
Reasons for voting decision: what is this i dont even