Furyan5
voxcaussae

The sun rises in the west

Furyan5

Furyan5

Pro

First round is acceptance.
Balance of probability is on pro
Con only needs to disprove.
voxcaussae

Con

I accept, I will be disproving that the sun rises only in the west.
Furyan5

Pro

Thank you con for accepting.

As we all know the eye works like a camera lense and light travelling from the left is captured on the right of our retina. Therefore our perception of reality is incorrect. Right is in fact left and left is in fact right. Therefore East is actually West. The sun rises in the west and sets in the east.
voxcaussae

Con

Using your perception of reality argument, does the sun rise at all? Is the sun rising around us, or are we rising around the sun? The Earth rotates to the East, but East and West relative to what? The universe has no directional sense, and nothing to be relative to.
Furyan5

Pro

Obviously I'm specifically speaking from my perspective. Everyone knows the earth rotates on its axis and orbits around the sun which is itself in motion. But from my perspective the sun appears to rise and set.
voxcaussae

Con

It is universally accepted that the sun rises in the East, and while you have a fine argument about the light captured in our eyes, it doesn't matter, as the sun only appears to rise in the East, even though it doesn't rise at all. Here, let me try and simplify that a bit. Why try and say the sun rises in the West when it doesn't even rise in the East? Are you trying to prove that the sun rises in the West from your brain's perspective or your retina's perspective?
Furyan5

Pro

Both perspectives agree. My retina and my brain tell me that in reality the sun rises in the west. The image captured on my retina is inverted both upsidedown and left to right. From my perspective it wouldn't make sense for me to be hanging in the air with the earth resting on my feet, so my brain flips the image upsidedown. But it has no reason to flip the image from left to right. That is why astronauts have problems distinguishing up from down in space but not left from right. Occum's razor states that the simpler of the two is logical. Invert vertically and invert horizontally or just invert horizontally. Left is in fact right. North is south and east is west. You are reading and writing from left to right. .ytilaer ni ekil skool ti tahw si sihT
voxcaussae

Con

Okay, I took some time to think about this, and here is what I've concluded. If our eyes are indeed mirrors, I encourage you to do this simple trick. Stand in front of a mirror and wave your right hand. On the mirror, the right hand appears on the right side, and in reality your hand is on the right. I have to admit, this stumped me for quite a while, but that's just not how the brain processes light.
Furyan5

Pro

If you stand in front of a mirror your image if facing you. If you wave your right hand, your image waves its left hand. Difficult to comprehend but try this. When you meet someone you put out your right hand to shake hands. So do they. Now put out your right hand to your reflection and see what hand it puts forward.
voxcaussae

Con

voxcaussae forfeited this round.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Lol is that what bop stands for? Sorry I'm still getting used to the lingo.
Posted by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
"Balance of probability"? Do you mean "burden of proof"?
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Simply put, if you faced north then east and west would switch sides. If you faced east then north and south would switch sides and if you lie on your side then up and down would change sides. Now this may sound stupid but remember its our perception. If we drop something it still falls down. But in reality down is up so it would actually fall up in reality.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
My left or your left? Remember east and west change sides but so does my left and right.
Posted by philosurfer 1 year ago
philosurfer
If you facing North - West & East would then either be on either your Left or Right. Correct?
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
If I'm facing north it goes left to right.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Ok its south west to south east from my perspective.
Posted by philosurfer 1 year ago
philosurfer
Do you see how the 180 degrees is perpendicular to the facing direction? (Left & Right)...

...and - therefore - cannot be equivalent to East or West when facing either East or West then?

PERPENDICULAR is a cool word ha ha ha
Posted by philosurfer 1 year ago
philosurfer
180 degrees BUT perpendicular of the facing direction too!
Posted by philosurfer 1 year ago
philosurfer
So now do me a solid and face either North or South.

What direction is at your Right? And at your Left?

Answer: either East or West.

Therefore - if the sun rises in either the East or the West - directly LEFT & RIGHT is North & South.

So, based on your own premises you put forward, your argument of LEFT & RIGHT being equivalent to WEST & EAST in NOT correct when considering a sun rise in either the East or West.
Vote Placed by Chaosism 1 year ago
Chaosism
Furyan5voxcaussaeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Con. Pro's arguments were not refuted, and the resolution was held.