omar816
bladerunner060

The technology world would be completely different without Steve Jobs.

bladerunner060
Started: 12/28/2012 Category: Technology

omar816

Con

I've chosen to believe that steve jobs was an insignificant trademark to the technology industry.

Round 1 = Acceptance.

Good Luck to Whomever ~
bladerunner060

Pro

I accept!

I would like it noted that I actually DISLIKE most of the Jobs legacy. I am by no means an Apple fanboy. But the proposition is only the whether the world would be DIFFERENT without the contributions of Mr. Jobs.

Thanks!
omar816

Con

I don't think you understand. Surely, the world would be difference but when i say "technology world" I mean the existance of certain popular concepts and devices that Jobs developped and made major contributions to.

I believe that the "technology world" would be no different from how it is now, without Jobs, we'd still have computers, tablets, smartphones and super thin laptops. (my main argument)

You can take it from here.
bladerunner060

Pro

"I don't think you understand. Surely, the world would be difference but when i say "technology world" I mean the existance of certain popular concepts and devices that Jobs developped and made major contributions to."

I can't defend the concept that the technology world is "completely different", if the difference must be that computers do not exist, or that phones must have remained "dumb". But I feel that he has made a huge and demonstrable IMPACT, and that's enough to support the position that the technology world would be completely different without him.

Mp3 devices took off and became as popular as they were in no small part because of the IPod. Would another company gave come along with a similar idea? Perhaps. But they might just as easily have fizzled the technology, as well, a la Betamax. He also created the first viable online music store, in an era when piracy was hitting its stride. Apple has been a trend setter in form factor, and form factor can dictate technology.
omar816

Con

"I can't defend the concept that the technology world is "completely different" ". Theoretically, you just forfeit but moving on, Mp-3 devices were taking off just fine but what happened was the apple over shadowed other companies doing the same thing they were doing. Metaphorically, Microsoft was taking the torch to the stadium but apple grabbed the torch and took it themselves, not crucial for the technology side but that's what made them money, which is totally unrelated to the technology side. Also, you should know that the online music store wasn't Jobs' idea exactly, the company he put together started Itunes.

When I say that apple stole the torch, I mean that other big companies were doing just fine with the Mp4 concept and Microsoft's Zune. Apple only beat them to the punch, and Steve jobs was mostly a great businessman promoting Steve Wozniak's great triumphs. I'm not saying that Wozniak did everything, i'm only saying that he made a greater technical contribution than jobs.
bladerunner060

Pro

What you did in the first sentence is called "Cherry picking". In case you genuinely don't understand, I'll point out I could quote you: "I...forfeit". I believe Conduct should go to Con for your violation.

"Mp-3 devices were taking off just fine" unsupported by either a source of yours or the evidence to available me, and contradicted by: "apple over shadowed other companies"

"...the online music store wasn't Jobs' idea exactly, the company he put together started Itunes." The company that he controlled started it. Point stands.

"..other big companies were doing just fine with the Mp4 concept and Microsoft's Zune." Zune, released 5 years after, is dead.

"I'm not saying that Wozniak did everything, i'm only saying that he made a greater technical contribution than jobs." We aren't debating whether Steve Jobs made ADVANCEMENTS, only whether things would be DIFFERENT without him, and that has been shown to be true.

Jobs chose direction with his decisions.

Please vote Pro
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
DoctorDeku, can you explain how I "attempted to skew the ground of the debate in the first round."?
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
I definitely feel this debate was hampered by the small response-length allowed by Con. Granted, it is my fault for missing it, but I would not have accepted if I had realized I would be allotted half the space I get for this comment.
Vote Placed by LaL36 4 years ago
LaL36
omar816bladerunner060Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The cherry picking was annoying but somewhat valid.
Vote Placed by drafterman 4 years ago
drafterman
omar816bladerunner060Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con changed the argument after acceptance from: "I've chosen to believe that steve jobs was an insignificant trademark to the technology industry. " to "I believe that the "technology world" would be no different from how it is now, without Jobs, we'd still have computers, tablets, smartphones and super thin laptops. (my main argument)"
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 4 years ago
DoctorDeku
omar816bladerunner060Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I give conduct to Con because pro attempted to skew the ground of the debate in the first round. I give arguments to Con for the argument that Steve Job's achievements weren't unique and would ave happened anyway. I give grammar to Con because the way Pro phrased certain arguments was a bit difficult to understand at times.