Hound
vardas0antras

The term "I could care less" contravenes itself when used to show indifference

Hound

Pro

Hello and welcome. I thank my opponent in advance for accepting.

Let's go ahead and get this show on the road, shall we!

I keep hearing this (from the same person, but still) phrase: "I could care less," when used to show apathy.

As much as I hate semantics, I suppose I should do this...

Care - a cause or object of worry, anxiety, concern, etc.
Source: http://www.dictionary.com...

Less - to a smaller extent, amount, or degree
Source: http://www.dictionary.com...

Now, with definitions (ugh) out of the way, let's see what we're looking at.

Example of improper usage (we're assuming the second speaker is meaning to show apathy):
"I don't like you."
"I could care less."

In this situation, the second speaker states that he "could care less." Now, "to care" means to actually show concern as stated above. To show indifference, the correct phrase would be "I couldn't care less."

In a nutshell: the phrase "I could care less" is totally wrong when wanting to show apathy, so people should stop using it 8l.

Thank you, readers and voters.
vardas0antras

Con

Thank you for the debate and its nice to begin in the first round.

Definitions:
Term:
"any word or expression"
Contravenes:
"to come or be in conflict with; go or act against; deny or oppose: to contravene a statement."
Show:
"to indicate; point out: to show the way."
Indifference "lack of interest or concern"

Dictionary.com

My chief argument:
The one who says "I could care less." is showing sarcasm ; he is mocking the idea of him caring.

Personally I prefer this new term I learned because:
1. I enjoy seldom sarcastic comments
2. Its indirect unlike "I couldn't care less."

Thank you for reading,
V0Antras
Hound

Pro

Greetings, V0Antras I'd like to thank you for accepting the first debate I've ever instigated ;P.

You say that this term is acceptable when attempting to show carelessness or apathy because one may use it in a sarcastic manner.

However, this makes little sense. To mock the idea of caring is not a contention to most that use this. Especially the person I keep talking to that says this. Sarcasm aside, this is still an incorrect phrase. It may make sense if you're trying to be subtle, however the form of the phrase is still incorrect to the situation (as most sarcastic remarks are.) That brings me to my next point.

I'm glad you brought up the preference of using that term. People hear this term a lot and therefore begin exercising its usage. Some MAY attempt to use it for some sort of sarcastic remark, however generally people use it as a substitution for "I couldn't care less" which is an invalid substitution.
vardas0antras

Con

"To mock the idea of caring is not a contention to most that use this. "
I could care less how people use it, as long as this term can be used properly and in a way it doesn't contradict itself - I win.

" It may make sense if you're trying to be subtle, however the form of the phrase is still incorrect to the situation (as most sarcastic remarks are.)"
I've no idea what you're trying to say ; please elaborate.

" generally people use it as a substitution for "I couldn't care less" which is an invalid substitution."
Again the usage is of no importance. Its not the poor terms fault that people misuse it.

In conclusion the title says:
"The term "I could care less" contravenes itself when used to show indifference"
We are talking about the term itself and not the way people use it. Granted it does contravene itself when not used sarcastically but by that logic everything contradicts itself for I can't think of a thing which can't be misused.
Hound

Pro

"I could care less how people use it, as long as this term can be used properly and in a way it doesn't contradict itself - I win."
Hardly. My case is that people that say the phrase "I could care less" when meaning to show apathy are saying it wrong. Apathy. Indifference. They're not trying to be sarcastic, they're trying to SHOW that they do not care in a forthwith manner.

"I've no idea what you're trying to say ; please elaborate."
You said that the sarcastic element in the phrase "I could care less" makes it a correct phrase for the situation. The sarcastic phrase may portray that the person speaking wishes to show sarcasm, however it's still not correct. Saying "That was the hardest test EVERRRR" even though you're being sarcastic is STILL incorrect when you're trying to say that the test was easy. Basically, you're still wrong if you're using it sarcastically with an ulterior meaning.

"Again the usage is of no importance. Its not the poor terms fault that people misuse it."
And when did I say it was the term's fault. It's obviously the peoples' faults that misuse it. Thank you for agreeing that people misuse it, by the way.

"In conclusion the title says:
We are talking about the term itself and not the way people use it. Granted it does contravene itself when not used sarcastically but by that logic everything contradicts itself for I can't think of a thing which can't be misused."
Everything contradicts itself when not being used sarcastically? "I like that class." Oh no, I contradicted myself! Wait... wha--? That's a fallacy.
I elaborated in my opening post saying that people who use the term to reflect apathy use it incorrectly. Sarcasm does not imply apathy, instead it implies taunting and mocking.

In conclusion:
The term "I could care less" when intended to show apathy to a situation is an incorrect phrase. The term is often misused by people, as my opponent has admitted. It's a contradiction of intentions, sarcastic or not. Thank you, voters, readers, and my opponent for a wonderfully thought-provoking debate.

I apologize for any sort of condescending or any sort of snide attitude I may have had throughout the debate. I seem to get that way when debates get going :S.
vardas0antras

Con

"They're not trying to be sarcastic"
Doesn't matter.

"Basically, you're still wrong if you're using it sarcastically with an ulterior meaning."
" even though you're being sarcastic is STILL incorrect when you're trying to say that the test was easy. "
You ought to provide reasons for me to accept that. I say sarcasm changes everything and I think I've got the consensus on my side since we all can agree that when I say yes sarcastically - we all understand that I am saying no.
According to our definition "Term: 'any word or expression' " I win since via sarcasm this term does its job.

"And when did I say it was the term's fault."
The title. If you think the term is correct when used properly then "The term "I could care less" contravenes itself" is incorrect.

"Everything contradicts itself when not being used sarcastically?"
Nope I said "everything contradicts itself for I can't think of a thing which can't be misused". Not sarcasm but proper use.

"Sarcasm does not imply apathy, instead it implies taunting and mocking."
There are different types of sarcasm.

"I elaborated in my opening post saying that people who use the term to reflect apathy use it incorrectly."
Where?
"In a nutshell: the phrase "I could care less" is totally wrong when wanting to show apathy, so people should stop using it 8l."
There?
"Example of improper usage (we're assuming the second speaker is meaning to show apathy):"
Then what about this?
"In this situation, the second speaker states that he "could care less." Now, "to care" means to actually show concern as stated above. To show indifference, the correct phrase would be "I couldn't care less."
Oh so its the phrase. The proper "usage" would be "I couldn't care less" when trying to show apathy. Why? Because the phrase "I could care less" contravenes itself. In short your stance has to do with the term and not the usage.

" The term is often misused by people, as my opponent has admitted."
No its you who conceded this.

" It's a contradiction of intentions, sarcastic or not"
???

Thank you
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
"felt like giving a RFD but I could care careless."
Obviously
Posted by darkkermit 6 years ago
darkkermit
felt like giving a RFD but I could care careless.
Posted by Lightkeeper 6 years ago
Lightkeeper
Yeah, cos the correct (and more commonly used) term is in fact "I couldn't care less" :P
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
Houndvardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by darkkermit 6 years ago
darkkermit
Houndvardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by knucklepuk 6 years ago
knucklepuk
Houndvardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Houndvardas0antrasTied