The term "Rape Culture" is Beneficial to society

This is all in regards to first world countries. Primarily America and Canada.

I tried having this debate before, but like way too many debates here, my opponent left the planet. I will try again - almost anyone can accept. If you cannot, leave a comment and I will decide if I will debate you - I most likely will.

I am accepting the Con position, as I do not believe the term "rape culture" is beneficial to society.

Beneficial; the pros must outweigh the cons.

Pro will accept the position that the term "rape culture" is needed in today's society, and will help progress the judicial system as well as society as a whole, or anything else they wish to bring up.

I will address several definitions for the term "rape culture," as I've seen it go from simply asking what a girl was wearing implies you "support rape," to not executing someone for being a rapist.

Rape Culture

[1] Wikipedia - is a phrase used to describe a culture in which rape is pervasive and normalized due to societal attitudes about gender, sex, and sexuality

[2] Marshall University - Rape culture is perpetuated through the use of misogynistic language, the objectification of women’s bodies, and the glamorization of sexual violence, thereby creating a society that disregards women’s rights and safety.

[3] WAVAW - Rape culture is a term that was coined by feminists in the United States in the 1970’s. It was designed to show the ways in which society blamed victims of sexual assault and normalized male sexual violence.

[4] A Tumblr story - To sum up her story, she says, "this man advocates rape by playing a joke on girls by pretending to kidnap them." I don't believe this is funny at all, but in no way would this mean the guy advocates or promotes rape as something "good."

I also want to address the definition of rape.

[5] Rape - 1. the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.

Emphasis on sexual intercourse.

[6] Sexual intercourse - 1.
genital contact, especially the insertion of the penis into the vagina followed by orgasm; coitus; copulation.
2. Sexual intercourse, or coitus or copulation, is chiefly the insertion and thrusting of a male's penis, usually when erect, into a female's vagina for the purposes of sexual pleasure or reproduction.

I know this is a touchy subject, but I've seen a couple people on this site (and lots elsewhere) that would disagree with me. And if you're a member of a site called, I'm not too sure why you wouldn't argue your point. You might change my mind or someone else's mind.

The post that pushed me to create this debate is this, [7] and I would love if Ayyuba would accept this debate. It is open to almost anyone, however, so if you feel like you can present a rational argument as to why we need to incorporate the term "rape culture" into everyday life, the judicial system, and anything else you can think of, I would be more than happy to entertain argument. If you can't accept based on my criteria, please feel free to post a reasonable comment and I will most likely accept.

If there is anything else I haven't brought up that you would like to, please do so. If I don't get any responses, I will recreate this at a later date.

I will happily answer any questions or have brief discussions about this in the Comments.

Oh crap, I thought I was Con. Oh well, here goes.

The issue is not whether or not "Rape Culture" is a legit phenomenon, but whether widespread belief in it benefits society. If it can be proven that using the term "Rape Culture" increases rape awareness and/or decreases rape occurrence, then it is beneficial to society regardless of its side-effects (unless those side-effects kill people, which is unlikely). If it increases rape occurrence, then it is not beneficial to society regardless of its side-effects (rape awareness is not a perk if there is a correlated increase in actual rapes).

As most sources that use the term "Rape Culture" are left-wing Feminist garbage and don't provide reliable statistics, I cannot directly prove that the term is beneficial. However, we know that the term originated in the 1970s ( ), and can look at the crime statistics since then.

From 1961 to 1992, the overall crime rate increased in the United States - including the rate of forcible rape, which climbed from 9.4 per 1,000 people per year to 42.8 per 1,000 people per year. Clearly, the idea of "Rape Culture" has no effect against an overall increase in crime. Since 1992, crime statistics have returned to their rate in the 1960s - i.e. they have decreased ( ).

What has increased since the 1990s is internet usage. Websites like Facebook, YouTube and Tumblr allow the rapid distribution of ideas, including the idea of "Rape Culture". Now, as can be seen in this FBI table here ( ), the decrease in rape is correlated with an overall decrease in crime. It is thus impossible to conclusively determine whether "Rape Culture" has helped to reduce rape occurrence. However, rape awareness is certainly beneficial to society, and it cannot be denied that "Rape Culture" combined with social networking sites has helped to increase awareness. As I previously stated, whether "Rape Culture" is a legit philosophy or not is immaterial to the debate.

In order to win, my opponent must prove that the belief in "Rape Culture" is NOT beneficial to society. As there are no genuine statistics relating to "Rape Culture" (at least that I can find), they have a difficult task ahead of them. Nevertheless, I wish them the best of luck.

I'm glad we probably agree on this then, lol.

If you can show a direct relation between the term and idea of "rape culture," and a decrease in actual rape, I'd love to see it.

I have noticed that the term is primarily used by far left feminists. I actually haven't ever seen or heard anyone who isn't a feminist use the term in a way that they believe is beneficial.

I like your point about the Internet, and I will get back to that in a moment.

I agree that rape awareness is beneficial to society. However rape awareness and rape culture are completely different things.

Being aware or bringing awareness of sick POS's out there is beneficial. It teaches us to be safe no matter what we're doing and to avoid these people, as we can't really just end rape with the snap of our fingers.

Implementing a new culture into society, and calling it a "rape culture" is giving the idea that women who are victims of rape (no matter what the scenario) are not to be responsible for putting themselves in that situation, and should not worry about anything they're doing because hey, men shouldn't rape, so the woman shouldn't do anything at all to avoid it in the first place.

By definition, I "support rape," [1] and am a member of a "rape culture," simply by saying women should try to avoid rapists, and avoid situations that could lead to rape. I have been told this dozens of times for trying to debate this topic, and I have seen it take a toll in women's confidence and respect toward men.

I have been called a rapist for not spreading the idea that men should not rape instead of women should be careful in general.

Now my main argument - and thanks for the good luck wishes.

Women (and men) who support rape culture are trying to take out normal investigations in rape cases. Asking what she was wearing is now "victim blaming," and part of rape culture. Asking if she was flirting, being touchy, sexual in any way, is "slut shaming," also part of rape culture. Asking if she was drunk is part of rape culture. Rape culture supporters are trying to stop people from asking questions to the victim. That is not how legal cases are practiced. If someone was robbed, we asked where they were, what they were doing, if they fought back, if they had their wallet in a safe place, buttoned up, etc. If someone was assaulted, we asked what kind of area they were walking through, what they were wearing (possibly gang-related clothing), how they were acting, if they looked intimidating, etc. But if someone was raped, no questions - send the accused rapist to jail for decades to most likely be raped and murdered in the prison.

If I'm walking down the street holding my wallet in my hand and someone grabs it and runs, I know I could have done something to avoid it. Is it my fault that someone stole it? No, people shouldn't steal, just like they shouldn't rape. But because I know these people exist, I should do what I can to avoid them, by buttoning my wallet up in my back pocket or inside coat pocket. Do I throw a hissy fit when someone asks if I had my wallet in a secure place when I was robbed? No. Because I know it's a legitimate question that is required to figure out if the crime could have been avoided and how I can avoid it in the future. We ask a girl what she was wearing when she was raped, for the same reason - to see if it could have been avoided, and how to avoid it in the future, and all of a sudden we condone rape.

Has rape culture solved anything? I don't know. I haven't seen anyone suddenly say "oh sorry, I guess I should stop raping people, thanks to the far-left feminists who are saying everyone who makes rape jokes is a supporter of rape." What rape culture is doing is victimizing more and more women over nothing, and turning men into horrible rape supporting criminals who aren't locked up for some reason. More and more women claim they were raped because they woke up next to a guy after drinking the previous day. More and more women claim men "support rape" by making rape jokes, or asking a rape victim what they were wearing, or by not doing anything against catcalls, etc.

Saying somebody supports rape who actually doesn't support rape is not beneficial to society. It is making more and more women scared of men, and unwilling to pursue relationships. It is making men scared of women, afraid that if they sleep with her, she will claim she was raped. And do you know what communities do to someone who is an accused rapist? It sure as hell isn't sit down and talk to him about it.

People who say rape culture is beneficial to society usually have a different idea of what consent is. Apparently even if all the body language is there, men still have to verbally ask "can I have sex with you?" [2] Do you know how big of a buzzkill that is? And not only that, but technically, according to rape culture, if you do not ask a woman if you can have sex with her, but you both engage in sex, and it's more than obviously consensual, you raped her. She is now a rape victim, and you are a rapist, all because you didn't verbally ask if you could have sex with her.

I think next round I will go into some of these "2-8%" false rape statistics, as well as the "3%" incarceration rate.

To say people are supporters of rape by making rape jokes or questioning rape victims or catcalling or creating things like this [3] is not beneficial to society in any way, especially if this culture they've created has no actual affect on actual rape.

[2] (I don't know the exact time they go into the sexual consent part, I think somewhere in the middle, but the entire debate is relatively good.)

I agree that what most of what "rape culture" teaches is extremist nonsense and can't be taken seriously. However, though it may have been blown out of proportion, it is true to say that people are reluctant to discuss rape and sometimes pretend it isn't a problem (can't say I blame them, it is a horrible topic). "Rape culture" forces people like you and me to address the issue of sexual assault. By debunking the bogus claims that feminists make, we educate ourselves on the actual facts. By defending ourselves from unfounded accusations of misogyny, we refine our beliefs about what exactly misogyny is and how we should treat women.

To use an analogy, take the Evolution vs. Creation debate. We all know Creationists are idiots, but their constant heckling forces us to study Evolution in more detail, and to learn the difference between logical and illogical arguments. It's the same with Feminism; we're forced to study the issues raised, and to recognize whether the issue is real or is just one woman's insecurity being treated as Gospel.

Obviously, this can backfire. If we react emotionally to Feminism, we risk going to the other extreme and joining the Men's Rights Movement. Or, if our rationality is clouded by our friendship with the Feminist in question, as often happens with impressionable young women, we risk being brainwashed.

Basically, being accused of "rape culture" is like bullying; it's unpleasant, but going through it makes us a better person.

The questions that need to be answered are:

1. Does the backfire (misogyny or conversion) from "rape culture" outweigh the character most people build by listening to the Feminist rant?

2. Does discussing "rape culture" increase actual rape awareness?

As I previously stated, whether "rape culture" is legit is irrelevant to the debate, as long as widespread belief in it has more pros than cons.

Also as I previously stated, there are no reliable statistics relating to "rape culture", probably because it's not legit. A direct correlation with rape or rape awareness cannot be established; there is only the possibility of one.

I feel bad because I'm grasping at straws here, and don't actually have any sources that can back up my argument. To compensate, here's a comic from Cyanide and Happiness:

I like what you're saying - "rape culture" causes us to defend ourselves against it and show that we actually know how to treat women and that we know rape is not a good thing.

However, there's one major flaw there; We have to already know our views on misogyny before disputing someone else's claims on it. Most people know rape is bad. Telling people that they support rape because [insert irrelevant statistic here] is not going to change the fact that we already know rape is bad. The people who "support" rape aren't going to just change their mind all of a sudden because someone told them to. That's like sitting down and talking to a wife-beater and have him all of a sudden understand the error of his ways. And even that example isn't that great.

The people who support the term Rape Culture believe it is rape if the girl has consumed alcohol. That means it hinders her ability to fully say "no," and therefore she was raped. This means if you go to a party, have a few drinks, the have sex with a girl, you raped her. And she actually can press charges (not like the cops are that irrational to actually follow through) as the Feminists have been trying to legally change the definition of rape [1] and how it can be punishable by prison time.

I'd like to quote a sentence from a "blog" or something - " An added advantage of a performative (verbally saying yes or nodding) account is that it suggests that sexual consent is not a woman's implied default state, but rather must be actively and affirmatively granted."

This makes sense when you first think about it, but after a second, you realize how ridiculous this sounds. Besides the buzzkill of her saying "yes I will have consensual sexual intercourse with you," if she doesn't verbally say yes or nod, you raped her. [2]

I like your Evolution vs. Creation analogy a lot. However, there is a difference between saying "I believe this is how all matter came to be," and saying "you are a rapist and deserve to be locked up for life because you had sex with a girl while you were both a bit drunk." One is trying to find the origins of the Universe; helpful no matter what, even if it is a crazy ridiculous theory - and the other is attempting to lock up innocent men who haven't done anything wrong and ruin lives because... well to be honest I still don't know why Feminists want to change the definition of rape to things like that.

"#rapecultureiswhen teenage boys use rape as any other normal verb “dude I just RAPED you in CoD”

— (@provocativelib) March 31,2014"

This is taken from Twitter. We now support a horrible act of violence that destroys a person physically and mentally for years because we use it as a verb when talking with friends. I agree that if there is someone who is sensitive to this stuff present, we shouldn't use that term, but to say we support rape because we use it is absolutely ridiculous.

Thanks for the questions.

1. Yes. Accusing people of being a part of a rape culture separates the sexes. Men are scared to do anything with women (as practically anything they do is considered rape), and women are scared to even be around men (as practically all men are rapists.) Rape culture does nothing but degrade people. Apparently I support rape because I joke with friends and because I believe men and women should be taught to be safe instead of just saying "don't rape" to boys (we already do), which is something feminists want. And I have also raped girls several times, because they didn't verbally say yes, and I've had sex at parties while a bit drunk. So All rape culture has done is brand me a serial rapist. My opinion and definition of rape has not changed. To say that we are able to have this conversation and define terms and whatnot is great, but it doesn't mean rape culture is beneficial in any way. It would be like me saying "the colour white is green," it would accomplish nothing more than a conversation; our definitions on white and green will stay the same.

2. No. Rape culture and rape awareness are completely different things. If someone accuses me of raping someone for [insert ridiculous reason here], I'm not going to think about how many raped go under reported. I'm going to tell them to go away and not accuse me of being a serial rapist again because that's anything from beneficial. I don't even know how we can legitimately raise awareness of rapes, but it sure isn't by accusing every man of being a rapist or supporter of rape.

It's extremely hard to back up arguments regarding rape with credible sources, so don't sweat it, you don't really need many sources anyway, I get what you're saying. Thanks for the cartoon though! You should be careful though, rape jokes are never funny - here's something to help. [3]

You should never tell rape jokes - you might upset people who have been rapists.

Actually, a lot of people haven't really considered their views on misogyny. For most of my teenage years, I was really insecure because I'd heard that all men are rapists deep down. It wasn't hard to believe; I could imagine a guy committing a rape, substitute his face with mine, and BOOM, that made me a rapist. At 21, I actually met a hardcore feminist, and learned about "rape culture", "patriarchy", etc. After hearing the "all men are rapists" myth in context, it didn't take me long to realise that it was bullshiit. "Rape Culture" is not the source of myths like "all men are rapists", it is merely the culmination. Having all those myths in one place makes them easier to refute.

Alcohol is a grey area when it comes to consent, because your ability to consent is affected by your inebriation. I think we can both agree that it's rape if a guy takes advantage of a girl who's so drunk that she's falling down, and that it's not rape if two drunk people simply lose their inhibitions and tumble into bed together. Most people can make that distinction. Most women can make that distinction. Most judges and juries can make that distinction. Changing the law won't do jack.

1. Yeah, I have to agree with you there.

2. Many people, out of a desire to fight rape culture, do actually promote rape awareness.

I'm really running out of material here. Unless you've got a new angle to argue from, what say we skip the next few rounds and go to voting?

A myth; yes. Beneficial? No. Generating widespread negativity (all men are rapists/support rape, etc) is in no way beneficial to society, even if the occasional person thinks for five seconds about their beliefs on rape. But then I could say "let's slaughter all children" and someone could consider their views on what's right and wrong regarding murder... yeah that's not beneficial.

I agree with you, except that when people bring up rape culture, they are implying anyone who asks normal questions in a rape crime, (where were you, had you been drinking, what were you wearing, etc) has sex while intoxicated, or does not get a 100% definitive YES, LET'S HAVE INTERCOURSE [1], is a rapist and/or advocates rape.

I would like to address this [2] and how feminists use it in their "rape culture." What a majority of feminists say is that "consent is not an assumption." This means if you are fooling around in bed, taking each others' clothes off and end up having sex, the girl was raped. This means women are not responsible for their own actions. If somebody does not want to have sex, it should be up to them to get that point across. It is human nature to have sex with someone, so consent is assumed, and should be up to someone to say no if they don't want to continue their actions.

Of course by me saying this, I advocate rape.

This is not beneficial to society.

"An “Okay, I guess” is not a yes." [3] Apparently there is no grey area. The world is black and white, and if you don't have a definitive yes, you are a rapist. This article also goes on to say if you are under a lot of stress, strong emotions (usually negatively), or have consumed alcohol, you can not give proper consent, therefore, you were raped if you had sex.

I kind of agree, if you wish to pass on the next rounds, go ahead, I'll do the same.

Finding as many ways as possible to label men rapists and women victims is not beneficial to society.

"It is human nature to have sex with someone, so consent is assumed, and should be up to someone to say no if they don't want to continue their actions."

Gonna have to call B.S. on that, I'm afraid. If I try to have sex with some random girl at the bus stop, then I will be arrested. The matter would not end at "no, I don't want to have sex with you" - I would most likely face charges of attempted rape. Likewise, drunk people are incapable of saying no, yet it's not okay to have sex with them. Consent is not the default; you must gain confirmation, verbal or non-verbal, that what you're doing is okay. I suspect most feminists are smart enough to understand that when a woman shoves a man's hands down her knickers while they're making out, that she's giving consent.

This isn't relevant to the topic, I just thought I should point it out.

If you want to end the debate, reply with "Pass".

I (not so obviously) meant when a guy and girl are already close and being sexual. Obviously consent is not implied when a random girl is standing next to you at the bus stop. It is implied when a guy and girl are being sexual. It is human nature to have sex, and doing sexual things leads to sex, so it makes sense to assume consent is implied.

Unfortunately a large amount of feminists still consider that foreplay, and not consent to actual sexual intercourse, and if he were to have sex with her, he would have raped her.

Nothing we're talking about is relevant to the original topic, by my argument still stands: rape culture is not beneficial to society.

Thanks for the debate!

Cheers. I hope we can debate again some time.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Thanks for reading! Glad someone got something out of it other than just apb4y and myself.
Posted by MasturDebatur 2 years ago
This was actualy really good to read - thanks for having this debate.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
No problem, glad we cleared up the confusion.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
ok. I just wanted to make sure Pro was given such a dramatic BoP showing how it is needed beneficial and will progress the judicial system..

while con just has to state why its not beneficial.

Thanks for clearing it up and stating it is an equal stance on Pro and Con.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
The premise is based on the idea that we actually do need the term "rape culture," and it should be implemented. This debate targets the feminists who believe so. I argue it is not beneficial to society because that is my stance. (Not beneficial implying it will bring more negatives than positives)

If you stance is that it is beneficial (more pros than cons) then please go ahead and accept. Pro needs to prove it is needed because that is their assertion. I will of course back myself up with sources also.

I guess I may have worded it a bit wrong. Pro is saying it is beneficial, or needed, and Con (me) argues that it is not beneficial, and is not needed.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
"Pro will accept the position that the term "rape culture" is needed in today's society, and will help progress the judicial system as well as society as a whole, or anything else they wish to bring up."

why is Con solely obligated to argue it is 'not beneficial to society'
yet Pro has to show why it is NEEDED, why it helps progress the judicial system and society?

This goes against the initial premise of beneficial to society. Beneficial and necessary are to different things. And just because something has a benefit to society, doesn't mean its going to "progress the judicial system and society".

I find it extremely unfair that the premise differs so greatly between Pro and Con on an assumed shared BoP