The term "Rape Culture" is not beneficial to society

This is all in regards to first world countries. Primarily America and Canada.

Pro will accept the position that the term "rape culture" is needed in today's society, and will help progress the judicial system as well as society as a whole, or anything else they wish to bring up.

I will address several definitions for the term "rape culture," as I've seen it go from simply asking what a girl was wearing implies you "support rape," to not executing someone for being a rapist.

Rape Culture

[1] Wikipedia - is a phrase used to describe a culture in which rape is pervasive and normalized due to societal attitudes about gender, sex, and sexuality

[2] Marshall University - Rape culture is perpetuated through the use of misogynistic language, the objectification of women’s bodies, and the glamorization of sexual violence, thereby creating a society that disregards women’s rights and safety.

[3] WAVAW - Rape culture is a term that was coined by feminists in the United States in the 1970’s. It was designed to show the ways in which society blamed victims of sexual assault and normalized male sexual violence.

[4] A Tumblr story - To sum up her story, she says, "this man advocates rape by playing a joke on girls by pretending to kidnap them." I don't believe this is funny at all, but in no way would this mean the guy advocates or promotes rape as something "good."

I also want to address the definition of rape.

[5] Rape - 1. the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.

Emphasis on sexual intercourse.

[6] Sexual intercourse - 1.
genital contact, especially the insertion of the penis into the vagina followed by orgasm; coitus; copulation.
2. Sexual intercourse, or coitus or copulation, is chiefly the insertion and thrusting of a male's penis, usually when erect, into a female's vagina for the purposes of sexual pleasure or reproduction.

I know this is a touchy subject, but I've seen a couple people on this site (and lots elsewhere) that would disagree with me. And if you're a member of a site called, I'm not too sure why you wouldn't argue your point. You might change my mind or someone else's mind.

The post that pushed me to create this debate is this, [7] and I would love if Ayyuba would accept this debate. It is open to almost anyone, however, so if you feel like you can present a rational argument as to why we need to incorporate the term "rape culture" into everyday life, the judicial system, and anything else you can think of, I would be more than happy to entertain argument. If you can't accept based on my criteria, please feel free to post a reasonable comment and I will most likely accept.

If there is anything else I haven't brought up that you would like to, please do so. If I don't get any responses, I will recreate this at a later date.

I will happily answer any questions or have brief discussions about this in the Comments.

I strongly believe that sexual objectification of women/men and victim blaming is highly unethical and should not be practised in society. Rape is something that is so very sensitive and highly impactful both physically and psychologically on the victim. Blaming the victim by saying that "He/She was asking for it" or "Boys will be boys" is not only irrevocably detrimental to that individual but it is also severe gender policing.
RAPE is NOT something that should be NORMALIZED. It needs to be eradicated because it is an unthinkable crime against humanity. It is monstrous and tolerating or even condoning a heinous act such as this is preposterous.

There's a huge difference between victim blaming [1] and sexual objectification [2].

Victim blaming implies the victim of a crime is completely at fault for that crime happening. No sane, rational, reasonable human blames the victim. There can be reasons for the crime to happen, and my favourite example is one that I came up with myself; If you are walking around with your wallet on your shoulder, and someone steals it, who's to blame? Knowing there are people in the world that WILL steal and commit crimes, it would make sense that you try your hardest to protect what you have, but you don't. The thief shouldn't steal in the first place, but for someone to know that there are thieves, and they do steal, a portion of the "blame" (I prefer "reason for the crime") lies on the victim. It's a rational conclusion that we come to to determine the severity of the punishment for the aggressor (if they are caught) and if it could have been avoided, and how to avoid it in the future. There is absolutely no reason to disregard reasons as to why a crime happened when it pertains to rape. That is not blaming a victim, that is understanding why the crime happened, if the victim could have avoided it, etc. The simple idea that we should never ask questions when it comes to rape is absolutely ridiculous and it goes against all our current judicial values as to how justice should be served. It also gives women (for the most part) the idea that they are superior to men - any other crime in existence needs to be studied to the fullest extent to determine the punishment and if it really happened, but as soon as it's rape (almost always against a woman) we don't need to study anything and we (men) are labelled as sexist or misogynistic or "victim blamers" for simply questioning what the woman was wearing; something I believe to be (and the judicial system believes to be) a very crucial fact in the case. No, it does not mean we condone rape, it means we simply want the facts. That is not rape culture; it is how our justice system works.

Sexual objectification is natural human biology. Humans are attracted to other humans (usually) based on their appearance. To deny that is simply wrong and going against all natural emotions. The term "sexual objectification" implies it is wrong to look at someone in a sexual way, or even just looking at them. It is completely natural to do so. Humans are connected sexually, and, for example, if a woman is on the front page of a magazine with little clothes on, it brings the attention of men because they find her attractive. That is it. She is an attractive woman. The men aren't degrading her, she is not degrading herself, she is simply getting positive attention. To turn that around and victimize women (even more) is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary. I would defend my point more right now but I think it would be a much better debate if you can give me an example of what you believe to be sexual objectification and contribute to rape culture.

Now, both "sexual objectification" (which I have shown is not a bad thing at all, and shouldn't even be called objectification) and "victim blaming" (which I have shown to be a productive way to determine why a crime was committed and how people can avoid it in the future) are not parts of "rape culture." Rape culture implies that person(s) condones rape. Regarding to victim blaming; by asking questions such as "what were you wearing," or "how much did you drink" is never saying it is okay to rape someone. Turning that into a "rape culture" creates a wider gap between the sexes; women are always victims, and men are always rapists, or condone rape, and the two sexes can't get along because of this whole idea. Regarding to sexual objectification; looking at someone in a sexual way does not mean you want to rape them, or would be okay with them getting raped. It has absolutely nothing to do with rape. It has to do with sex appeal, something that, I can't stress this enough, is natural.

I agree at how destructive rape can be.

The only time I've ever heard anyone say "boys will be boys" is when it is a girl speaking. And even then, they aren't saying it in a way that blames the victim, they say it in a way that pretty much just means "men will rape." So even the saying "boys will be boys" is against rape, and is saying women should take precautions to avoid rapists; an idea that makes a lot of sense. We avoid murderers, thieves, terrorists, etc, so why is it all of a sudden a huge deal if someone tells a girl to avoid a rapist? And the people saying someone "asked for it" are just complete pieces of... trash. Not many people do, and when they do, they have somewhat of a reason to say it. Most of the time it's because the girl was acting in a way that both does not try to avoid it at all, or even "asks" (sarcastically, metaphorically, intimidatingly, not literally) for it. I have witnessed girls at parties pull their skirts up and jokingly say (I'll paraphrase) "why don't you just rape me already, you're creepy enough as it is." Although (just like with the wallet scenario) the rape is still wrong, obviously, the girl egged him on, and didn't do anything to prevent it. The people saying she "deserves" it are usually speaking with emotions and not logic at all, and see a girl being annoying or dressing extremely provocatively, and expressing themselves and how they feel about girls acting or dressing that way in a very rude and disrespectful way, without thinking at all. The people that actually do believe someone deserves to be raped are sick and messed up, but those people are very limited, and doing something to stop them from doing that just... really isn't possible. It's best to avoid those people like we avoid rapists.

My main point is that rape is not normalized in today's society. It's nowhere near normalized. When rapists go to jail, they are beaten constantly. If they don't make it to jail, the entire community hates them. Even if a girl accuses a man of raping her, without any evidence, the entire community hates (and even attacks) the guy. The people who don't do anything about that or say things like "she deserved it" are usually on the Internet, and either don't believe it, or are speaking irrationally and out of pure anger toward the girl, and even then, they (most of the time) don't condone rape.

You say rape needs to be eradicated. But you don't bring up any other types of crime. What about murder? The act of ending someone's life is less tragic than forcefully having sex with someone? You can recover from being raped. Your family hasn't lost you. You cannot recover from being killed, and your family has lost you, and it affects them greatly, too. We will never eradicate all crime. I agree it should be, but it won't be. Simply saying "we need to end rape" really doesn't mean crap (no offense) because people will continue to rape, no matter what.

Rape culture does not exist. No rational, decent person condones rape of any kind. Asking for facts does not mean you support rape. Looking at a girl's body or being attracted to the opposite sex does not mean you want to rape her. Creating a sub-group and calling it a "rape culture" or "victim blamers" will not get rid of the very few people who do support rape.

[2] (if you can explain how the image of the woman lying over the wine is a bad thing, I'd love to hear it.)

Pipe_Dreamer forfeited this round.

Come on! You even messaged me telling me to take my time after I had posted my first round.

Looking forward to hearing an argument!

Pipe_Dreamer forfeited this round.

Extending, I guess.

Pipe_Dreamer forfeited this round.

Hopefully we can actually have a debate on this if you ever return, lol.

Pipe_Dreamer forfeited this round.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Sorry I mean Pro is saying rape culture IS beneficial, and Con says it is not. I worded the Title wrong.
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
You have a negative resolution.
Con is actually arguing that the term is beneficial
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture