mrsatan
SONOFGOD2013

The term "Strong Atheism" is inaccurate for what it currently represents.

mrsatan

mrsatan

Pro

The term "Strong Atheism" is generally used to represent the belief that there is no God. BoP is on me to show that this term is a misrepresentation of that belief. Cons goal is to refute my arguments.

Definitions (I'm willing to discuss these definitions prior to the debate, but as it stands, acceptance of this debate is acceptance of these definitions):

Theism: Belief in the existence of a God or God(s).
Atheism: Without theism.

First round is for acceptance.
SONOFGOD2013

Con

Hey one question what is BoP. And one other question. Do you worship satan. I ask because of your name.
mrsatan

Pro

First off, thank you SONOFGOD2013 for accepting the challenge. As Jingram was kind enough to answer your first question, I'll move right to your second one. No, I do not worship Satan, but thank you for asking instead of assuming. I don't worship anything (although it has been said that I play video games often enough to consider it worship...). While I wouldn't say it's not a possibility, I don't believe either God or Satan exist.

Now then, onto my argumentation.

It seems to me that believing God does not exist is not a belief without theism, but rather a different degree or level of theistic belief.

To be theistic does not necessarily mean one believes God exists, but that they hold A belief in the existence of God. In other words, ANY belief pertaining to the existence of God would qualify as theistic belief, included the belief that God does not exist. A belief regarding the theistic proposition, only it's at the opposite end of the spectrum from which is commonly assumed, an opposing belief in the existence God(s). It is theistic belief, the only real distinction being that it's centers on denial rather than affirmation.

To put it more succinctly, belief that God does not exist is the denial of theistic proposition, and therefore directly related to theism. As such, it is not a belief without theism, and should not be referred to as "strong atheism".
SONOFGOD2013

Con

SONOFGOD2013 forfeited this round.
mrsatan

Pro

Extend argument.
SONOFGOD2013

Con

Extend argument too
mrsatan

Pro

Well then... Guess I'll try again with some acceptance criteria.
Posted by Jingram994 3 years ago
Jingram994
Just a few Wikipedia links to help out, in case either of you needed a quick reference.

Posted by SONOFGOD2013 3 years ago
SONOFGOD2013
That is for telling me ( :
Posted by Jingram994 3 years ago
Jingram994
@SONOFGOD:
BoP; Burden of proof. It means that he has to provide proof for his claim in this debate, and all you have to do is successfully refute such claims or evidence, rather than proving your own claim. If he fails to prove this claim, then you have effectively won the debate.
Posted by mrsatan 3 years ago
mrsatan
No worries there, dudestop. Antitheism would be opposition to theistic belief, or in other words the belief that people should not be theistic. You're correct that mixing them up would put me in hole, although I wouldn't say the two are similar.
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
I'd be interested to see your point before I accept this. Being an atheist, I would advice you to be careful not to mix up "atheism" with "antitheism" At least I think that's the term... Very similar, yet you could land up in a hole if you mix the two up in a debate.

Good luck!
Vote Placed by NiqashMotawadi3 3 years ago
NiqashMotawadi3
mrsatanSONOFGOD2013Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not present any arguments and forfeited.