frozen_eclipse
jkovar

The terms black and white should not be used to identify ethnicity

frozen_eclipse

frozen_eclipse

Pro

So I will propose that we should not use these terms to represent a race or ethnic group.

social definitions
Black- refers to African Americans,

of darkest color: being the color of coal or carbon

white -refers to anyone of fair complexion who does not fit the standards of other ethnicity's,

dictionary definitions

Black-

White-of the color of pure snow

ethnicity-ethnic affiliation or distinctiveness.

Structure

1-acceptance
2-positions
3-rebuttals
4-summarization/rebuttals

A forfeit equals automatic win to the opposser. By accepting this debate the opponent accepts these definitions.
jkovar

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for allowing me the opportunity to debate this topic. As per the pre-agreed structure of this debate I will not make my argument until the next round.
frozen_eclipse

Pro

Black and white is a color

I really don't like how society accepts these terms to describe a ethnic group. WHite and black is a color. Not a race. These "color names" do not accurately represent the ethnic group in whole so it really isn't rational to classify a entire ethnic group by a color of with the entire group doesn't fit. My dad. He is African American and Korean mixed. His skin complexion is a color, white. Is it then rational to say he is white because his skin is white? No because his father is African American he is considered black. A color. That does not accurately represent his race like it is supposed to. Honestly he looks like a full blooded Korean but his ethnicity isn't African American. According to his birth certificate he is black. Last I checked black is a color not a race. Since Indians are dark should they be considered black too? Lets talk about the color white witch is a major contradiction to reflect ethnicity. As we all know Caucasians are light skinned. Funny thing though Latinos would be considered white, why arnt they filling out white on there papers? Almost every single European race is classified as being white. when there skin color doesn't even really fit the definition. The only true white people are redheads. They are the only people in the world whom could truly be considered white. Witch by technical definition is the color of pure snow. As we all now not many people want to be pale so they get tans. SO those of whom are considered white don't really fit the true definition of the word. So though these terms don't accurately represent ethnicity, and since using this method is contradictory to whom we are, The terms black and white should not be used to identify ethnicity

There is no cultural diversity in these words

I feel this classification is extremely wrong. As I've just proven these words don't represent our ethnic identity. If through history we would have just stuck with saying which ethnic culture we belonged to we wouldn't have these generations who don't know there bloodlines. They don't even know there true ethnic background because our society will classify them based on looks. Looks are deceiving. Evident by the reality of the classifications of black and white. we ought to be expressing our cultural identity by being recognized by it in our society. There is no cultural diversity in these words. Using these contradictions of classification. WE misidentify the Swedish,French,Macedonians,Arabic's,some Latinos that those whom are mixed are considered whatever there father is no matter how different you look from that color or race. If is white and half black and my fathers black no matter how white I look I'm considered black because that's what my father is.....there is a big problem with that. IT doesn't accurately represent your cultural diversity. There are millions of cultures in the world and its sad that most of these ethnicity's of people have to be condensed into black or white. A color.
http://www.infoplease.com...

The phenomenon of racial interpretation.

There is this phenomenon among African Americans. A very light person who is considered black will state that there nothing but black. There is a logical problem with this. Obviously pure Africans are not going to be very light skinned. So obviously if your anything but pure black of skin then your not a pure African. Italians and Hispanics have alot of similarities. If you have any Spanish blood, in America your considered Latino. Funny thing is Latinos look like the color white but is not considered white. While on the other hand Italians are considered white. If Italians and Hispanics almost look extremely similar , why is one allowed to keep there cultural diversity while the other is not. So this phenomenon of racial interpretation isn't justified.

I have just proven that the system of using the terms black and white do not accurately represent ethnicity. Since this is true. pro is logical.
jkovar

Con

jkovar forfeited this round.
frozen_eclipse

Pro

Due to forfeit, my arguments are unrefuted and due to the principal of silence equals concurrence, my case is proven to be solid.

As we can see,Black and white is a color, There is no cultural diversity in these words, and The phenomenon of racial interpretation proves the terms white and black shouldn't be used to represent ethnicity. Since these points still stand, I believe pro should win this debate
jkovar

Con

jkovar forfeited this round.
jkovar

Con

jkovar forfeited this round.
Posted by frozen_eclipse 5 years ago
frozen_eclipse
dont judge...lol
Posted by Multi_Pyrocytophage 5 years ago
Multi_Pyrocytophage
Official boss?
Posted by frozen_eclipse 5 years ago
frozen_eclipse
Zero characters left. Official boss!!!!....lol
Posted by frozen_eclipse 5 years ago
frozen_eclipse
ok it was just a case of misunderstanding
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Okay, hold on a sec. I'm confused myself, lol.

I thought you meant that all he had to say was, "I accept," instead of thanking you for starting the debate. But then I said that he was just being polite :P I didn't mean to say you were being rude ...
Posted by frozen_eclipse 5 years ago
frozen_eclipse
well i thought he was confused....judging by the time lapse.....i dont how that was rude but ok
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
@frozen_eclipse-

It's called being polite.
Posted by jkovar 5 years ago
jkovar
Sorry about that. I thought I had posted my message earlier. Obviously I was wrong lol
Posted by frozen_eclipse 5 years ago
frozen_eclipse
dude for the first round just say i accept.....lol
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
frozen_eclipsejkovarTied