Chezmix64
Connnr

The time war doctor is a regeneration

Chezmix64

Pro

He is a regeneration, just because you are ashamed of your name doesn't make you a different person.
Connnr

Con

Ok so you might not be happy with me as contender because I partially agree with you, John Hurt was a regeneration. However, this is not the same as being a regeneration of the Doctor, the Doctor is as much a title as it is a name and thus is only held by those lives that choose to uphold it's values. John Hurt's character chose to abandon those and thus he is not a Doctor and cannot be counted as one of the regenerations. This does not mean that the Doctor did not use one of his twelve regenerations when changed but I suppose you could say John Hurt is the 9th regeneration of whatever the Doctors real name is, as this name is not dependant on his actions.
Chezmix64

Pro

Chezmix64 forfeited this round.
Connnr

Con

Connnr forfeited this round.
Chezmix64

Pro

Chezmix64 forfeited this round.
Connnr

Con

Connnr forfeited this round.
Posted by TheOncomingStorm 3 years ago
TheOncomingStorm
Thank you for answering the question for me Connnr
Posted by Connnr 3 years ago
Connnr
@ragnar Moffat recently anunced that the when David Tennant was shot by a Dalek in the finale of season four he used one of his regenerations. Most people had assumed it hadnt counted because he avoided changeing his body by directing the energy into his spare hand once he had healed. Hence although Matt Smith is the "11th Doctor" -as John Hurt did not use that name- he is technically the 13th and therefore last regeration he is now out of lives. Basically Moffat did this so he could be the writer that decides how The Doctor is able to gain more regerations which is very anoying but there you go.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
@Oncomingstorm: What is the basis of your argument for Matt Smith being the 13th doctor?
Posted by Debate_and_bowties 3 years ago
Debate_and_bowties
Agreed - as we've all (or should've) figured out, the War Doctor is just the regeneration between 8 and 9. Also, on "The Day of the Doctor" when War regenerates, he begins to take characteristics of 9 (Chris Eccleston) especially the eyes.
Posted by TheOncomingStorm 3 years ago
TheOncomingStorm
Yeah the 8th doctor was dying, and had to regenerate into the "war doctor" although I personally refer to him as the 9th doctor now. Then he regenerated into the 10th doctor (Eccleston).
Posted by Matt_L 3 years ago
Matt_L
I don't think I understand. The whole point of him drinking that potion thingy was so that he would regenerate. I don't see how this is a debatable subject.

Sorry if I've misunderstood the whole thing!
Posted by TheOncomingStorm 3 years ago
TheOncomingStorm
It's pretty nondebatable. I'd debate you as to whether or not Matt Smith is the 13th Doctor though.