InVinoVeritas
Rational_Thinker9119

The tooth fairy exists

InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas

Pro

So, I was at work the other day, and my mom called me and informed me that the tooth fairy does not exist. I refused to believe it, but she remained adamant. I told her that I was going to seek confirmation for my view point (that the tooth fairy exists) on Debate.org, where all truth lies.

Thank you. I look forward to an insightful debate.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Why not, post your case.
InVinoVeritas

Pro

When I was young and my baby teeth fell out, I put them under my pillow, and by the time the morning came by, they had mysteriously vanished and been replaced with money. How does such a phenomenon come about? Clearly, this indicates the existence of a "tooth fairy," whether or not he/she is literally a fairy. For further evidence, see [1].

Aside from this, the concept of the "tooth fairy" surely exists. It is a established idea that has impacted our culture (and other cultures) for generations. The fact that we are debating this already assumes that the idea has been established, so this claim is virtually undeniable.

[1] http://www.therealtoothfairies.com...
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Refuting my opponent's arguments

"When I was young and my baby teeth fell out, I put them under my pillow, and by the time the morning came by, they had mysteriously vanished and been replaced with money. How does such a phenomenon come about? Clearly, this indicates the existence of a tooth fairy"

Having evidence of a theft and replacement does nothing to indicate who did the stealing and replacing, so this argument was a non sequitur.

"Aside from this, the concept of the "tooth fairy" surely exists. It is a established idea that has impacted our culture (and other cultures) for generations."

So have vapires, aliens, warewolves, interdimentional beings, ghosts, Gods and literally any type of being your mind can imagine. The mind can imagine something, and a huge handful of people believe the same thing, that doesn't make it true in reality though.

An idea established in culture does nothing to indicate how valid the claim is.

"The fact that we are debating this already assumes that the idea has been established, so this claim is virtually undeniable."

Actually, the fact that we are debating this assumes that the claim is not undeniable.

Case against The Tooth Fairy

Semantic argument

The tooth fairy is defined as fantasy.

"The tooth fairy is a fantasy figure of early childhood."[1]

Fantasy is defined as fiction.

"Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot, theme, or setting."[2]

Fiction is defined as not factual.

"Fiction is the form of any narrative or informative work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not factual"[3]

If something is not based on fact but fiction, it is most likely not true until we get some extra-ordinary evidence for the extra-ordinary claim.

The absense of evidence and the evidence of absense

Sometimes the absense of evidence is evidence of absense. If someone said they had a fire breathing dragon in their garage and when you went in there was a complete lack of evidence of the dragon in the garage, then it's logical to make a statement claiming that there is no dragon in the garage. The tooth fairy would be the dragon in the analogy, and the child's bedroom would be the garage.

Fighting fire with fire

If my opponent can say that it's undeniable that the tooth fairy is fact because it's established, then I can say it's undeniable that the tooth fairy is fantasy because it's established. It's an ad populum either way though.

My opponent failed at meeting his burden of proof by presenting arguments that were weak and unsupported that went easliy refuted. I replaced his weak arguments for the tooth fairy, with stronger arguments against the tooth fairy.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...;
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
InVinoVeritas

Pro

To be honest, this debate was meant to have a humorous undertone. If the opponent would like to debate this topic at a serious level, then I will drop my first argument.

---

Indeed, the concept of the "Tooth fairy" exists, along with those of "vampires, aliens, werewolves, inter-dimensional beings, ghosts, Gods, and literally any type of being your mind can imagine." Indeed, "mind can imagine something" and the object itself does not necessarily exist in reality. But the idea of the object surely exists. Therefore, the "tooth fairy," at a conceptual level, does exist.

Semantic argument:
This argument is based on a subjective definition. The term "God" would be defined as a myth by an Atheist, but it would be defined as a holy Being by those who are devoutly pious. This is where any semantical argument lacks, so I would rather not debate the topic at this level.

This argument is overly simplistic. Because a person goes into a child's bedroom to find the tooth fairy and the tooth fairy is not perceived, then the tooth fairy does not exist? Centuries ago, biology had not developed and scientists were unable to view things at a molecular and atomic level. Does that mean that at that time, molecules and atoms did not exist?

Ad populum argument
I am saying that the concept of the "tooth fairy" exists and therefore, as a concept, it is undeniable that it exists. It does not matter how many people believe in it or whether this number constitutes a minority or a majority or neither. The fact that this idea is established means that it exists. My point when I mentioned that the idea exists in many cultural is to simply show the widespread existence of the "tooth fairy" (again, strictly as a concept.)

---

The bottom line of this debate is one of semantics. Can something exist as a concept? Since thought can be viewed at a strictly scientific function of chemicals, we can say that the thought of the "tooth fairy" is physical in nature and therefore, to some degree, tangible.

Thank you, and I look forward to my opponent's rebuttal.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Rational_Thinker9119 forfeited this round.
Posted by The_Fool_on_the_hill 5 years ago
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Shame on the voters.
Posted by Rational_Thinker9119 5 years ago
Rational_Thinker9119
I JUST missed it, I had 9 minutes left and my computer froze at the last 30 seconds...Oh well
Posted by InVinoVeritas 5 years ago
InVinoVeritas
jacobnewbie, whether or not my believing in the tooth fairy is "bad" is a topic for a completely different debate. Thank you for your input, though.
Posted by jacobnewbie13 5 years ago
jacobnewbie13
the tooth fairy does not exist at all and if you are a grown man and you still believe in him then that is bad
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
InVinoVeritasRational_Thinker9119Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO argued for the concept, so I have to give him the points. Although I'd have enjoyed this debate personally if someone was arguing against public language...
Vote Placed by SuburbiaSurvivor 5 years ago
SuburbiaSurvivor
InVinoVeritasRational_Thinker9119Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited, and pro gave more convincing arguments.