The trinity is un-Biblical.

The trinity, referring to the Christian trinity , is un-Biblical. For this debate, we will only use the King James Bible to prove or disprove it. Burden of Proof is shared by the Pro and the Con. This is a debate between Christians, so if you are not a Christian, please don't accept this. I, the Pro, will be proving the trinity is false, and the Con will prove the trinity is true. Best wishes!

Props to Pro for posting this debate, and thanks for letting me participate. I opted to join this debate for instructional purposes - I have been taught incorrectly concerning doctrine in the past, and would be very interested to hear the argument Pro has to make the claim it's un-Biblical - Really looking forward to a different perspective, and maybe some knowledge - Again, thanks!

God revealed himself to the Jews as one God in Deut. 6:4. Also, he has said there is NO god WITH me as stated in Deut. 32:39. Jesus Himself said that the first commandment was that there is one God. Mark 12:29. Many people confuse the duality of Jesus as more than one God or persons talking to each other. Jesus, as proven and shown by Pentecostals and Trinitarians alike, is a duality. 100% man and 100% God. Since Jesus was 100% God, He could calm the waves of the Sea of Galilee. Also since he was 100% man, He had to pray to God as a man as we all should. Jesus, was literally God robed in the flesh. (John 1:1-14) You see, since God is a Spirit, (John 4:24), he could not show himself to man the way he wanted to. So, he took on flesh and dwelt among us. God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself. (2 Cor. 5:19) It wasn't a separate person showing people the way to another. It was God showing Himself to us.

You are correct in what God stated in Deuteronomy 6:4: Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God , the Lord is one!" - The Hebrew word "one" in this verse (being the Old Testament was written in Hebrew) is 'echad. The same word was utilized in Genesis 2:24 when referring to the unification between a man and a woman in marriage: "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh." Obviously we understand that they don't actually mold into one another to become one - but they are recognized as one even though they are separate.

Describing a book is a perfect illustration - You can describe the length, width and height of a book. The length is not the book"s width, the width is not the book"s thickness. The dimensions are described differently, yet together, they make up the book. If you remove one dimension, you are no longer describing the book. In the same manner, the Trinity is comprised of three, yet they are all one.

Rebuttals- Echad as used in Deuteronomy 6:4, can mean united, but, it can also mean one, alone, a man, etc. Besides, in that scripture, two different people aren't being referenced here as two are in Gen. 2:24.
Another event people mistake for the showing of a trinity is at Jesus' baptism. There were three main reasons for this event.

1. Jesus' Benefit- The man Christ Jesus needed this confirmation as it would start his ministry.

2. John the Baptist's Benefit- John had no idea as stated in John 1:33 who the messiah was.

3. The people there- This event confirmed to the people that Jesus was the Messiah.

The Dove was for John so he could see who the Messiah was as stated in John 1:32-34. The Voice from heaven confirmed to the people and to the man Christ Jesus that he was indeed the Messiah to save the people. In summary, there wasn't three different persons in the Godhead there, only two signs and the man Christ Jesus getting baptized.
Next up, why the trinity contradicts itself.

If the word echad can be utilized to mean 'one' as in number, or 'one' as in unification, who is to say which one is being utilized in the book of Dueteronomy? Comparison between websites have contrasting point of view on the issue, so it's equivocal. For my argument, I can reasonably say it's used in the context of unification.

You mentioned the baptism of Christ - In Matthew 28:19, Jesus says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," - Ergo equality between all three. Otherwise, the Commandment would have been, "..baptizing them in the name of the Father."

Comparison between God and Christ also shows equality - Christ says in John 10:30, "I and my Father are one." In Luke 22 and John 8, the Pharisees questioned Christ's being equal with God - in response, He say, "I AM". God identfied Himself the same way to Moses in Exodus 3:14.

Matt. 28:19 is a great scripture for doctrine. Figure out what it's trying to tell you. Figure out the name!
The name is.... Jesus! Jesus is described as the Father in Isaiah 9:6, the Son of God in Matt. 16:16, and the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, in John 14:26. Earlier in the passage, He says, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you".
Next, the reason He said, "I and my Father are one", is because He was specifically talking there about His duality. He was 100% man and 100% God. Remember, the MAN Christ Jesus was flesh, but since the fullness of the Godhead was in Him, He was also 100% God. (Colossians 2:9)
Then, when He said, "I AM", He was talking about how He was the Jehovah of the Old Testament. He said, "Before Abraham was, I am", in John 8:58. He was trying to tell them, I am the I AM of the Old Testament, and I am the I AM robed in flesh.
All for now, new debate with you soon on same topic?

So we agree at least that Christ and God are one in the same. Now consider the attributes of God. Well compare the attributes of the Holy Spirit: Eternal - Heb 9:14; Omnipresent-Psalms 139:7-10; Has a will-1Cor 12:11; Demonstrates love- Romans 15:30; Speaks- Acts 8:29; 13:2. When speaking of Christ as a man The Holy Spirit led Christ and filled Christ in Luke 4:1 and was responsible for raising Christ from the dead- Romans 8:11. As far as names go based off the link you provided, Peter infers the Holy Ghost and God are the same in Acts 5:3-4: But Peter said Ananias why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? While it remained, was it not thine own? And after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? Why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? Thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. Lastly, Seems to me the idea of the trinity comes from Biblical texts so how can it be un-Biblical?
Posted by Jackthemarine86 2 years ago
Thanks to Contendr for the debate. Very interesting points.
Posted by AjayChandan 2 years ago
Trinity is so clearly mentioned in Bible, but the way you and me (see in a limited universe with a limited mind) differs.
If u read Hebrews 10:5-7,
Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
"Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
Then I said, "Here I am"it is written about me in the scroll"
I have come to do your will, my God.""[a]

Here this context is about the Christ speaking to the God (his Father). Scriptures are not false. Indeed we can see two individual personalities here and when Jesus says Father and I are one(same),
we can see two individual persons Father and the Son share equal Divine Nature.

In Isiah 9:6,7

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."
Child is born but the son is given, the son is not born, he existed even before the foundations of the universe was formed .
Government shall be on HIS shoulders not MY shoulders.
and he is Mighty God.
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
You can't seriously expect people to use the king james bible. I will accept if you change it to a translation from the last century, like the recovery version. People who read King James develop a slanted sense of the bibles meaning.