gibsonm496
luigiforever96

The turkey should be the country's animal rather than the bald-eagle.

luigiforever96

gibsonm496

Pro

The turkey should be the country's animal because it is a independant animal that has lived in North America since before the United States was established.
luigiforever96

Con

I disagree. The bald eagle is a symbol of freedom, and the United States is known to be a such term. If the turkey was the symbol of the United States, then it would technically be implied that we have limited freedom.
gibsonm496

Pro

First, I would like to ask a question? How is the turkey not a symbol of freedom? Turkeys play a large role in our life. What is traditionally eaten every Thanksgiving? The turkey would represent a country who is strong, independent, and not to be messed with. I leave you with this question. Have you ever tried to fight a turkey?
luigiforever96

Con

I would like to answer your question. Turkeys may be thought of as "independent and not to be messed with", but wouldn't that encourage other competing countries to say "oh hey, let's go size up against the old U.S. because they say they're independent and shouldn't be messed with"? Yes that's a good thing but what if others proved us wrong with war? We wouldn't be entirely truthful with our symbol. Wasn't it the Choctaw Indians that said the bald eagle was a symbol of peace?
Posted by LightC 8 years ago
LightC
lol gibsonm496, challenge me to any political debate, and you will see how smart I am.
Posted by luigiforever96 8 years ago
luigiforever96
Good debate, gibsonm496, good debate. ;)
Posted by gibsonm496 8 years ago
gibsonm496
I would like to comment dvhoose. You bring up valid points and I agree with that. But I forgot to say something in my debate. I truly agreed with Benjamin Franklin and crrect me if I am wrong but I believe he was for the wild turkey. And every thanksgiving many domesticated (I don't believe this is the right word) orturkey's grown on a farm, are killed every year. Not wild turkeys.
brian_eggleston did you actually mean something by your comment? Because as far as I can see it makes no sense. Why would Turkey want the eagle as their animal?
LightC if you have something to say, say it. Don't make a comment on something you obviously are not intelligent enough to understand, there was no need for the comment.
Posted by LightC 8 years ago
LightC
just...wtf.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
If the turkey becomes the synbol of the United States, the bald eagle will be availble to become the symbol of Turkey!
Posted by dvhoose 8 years ago
dvhoose
RFD:
1) Who did I agree with before the debate? CON
2) Who did I agree with after the debate? CON
3) Who had better conduct? TIE
4) Who had better spelling and grammar? TIE
5) Who made more convincing arguments? TIE
6) Who used the most reliable sources? TIE

PRO: You claim that the turkey is a part of our daily lives, that we eat it every Thanksgiving, yet you claim that the turkey is a strong, independent animal that isn't to be messed with? Hundreds of thousands of turkeys are killed every year for human consumption. How does that show an animal not to be messed with?

Also argue that the bald eagle only survives today because it's an endangered species... does that mean the U.S. constantly relies on other countries (economy excluded) Wasn't the U.S. a superpower?

CON: Capitalize on the "turkeys are independent, yet defenseless" argument, you'd have gotten points out of me. You also bring up the "symbol of peace" yet the U.S consistently acts as a mitigator in other countries wars... (Vietnam). Not to mention, we instigated the War on Terror in a way.

BOTH: Go back and look at the arguments that decided the Bald Eagle should be our national symbol (Ben Franklin) Overall, I feel this was a great topic, but lacked the clash to make it a great debate. Two rounds really isn't enough to get anything done, and you force judges to vote with a limited amount of information.

Good luck to both of you.
Vote Placed by zimmsta 8 years ago
zimmsta
gibsonm496luigiforever96Tied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
gibsonm496luigiforever96Tied
Vote Placed by napalm2191 8 years ago
napalm2191
gibsonm496luigiforever96Tied
Vote Placed by dvhoose 8 years ago
dvhoose
gibsonm496luigiforever96Tied