Sgtmackenzie
cameron1987

The two party system in the United States needs to be disallowed.

Sgtmackenzie

Pro

The two party system in the United States of America should be disallowed and the corresponding parties disbanded. In order to work as a team to accomplish the work that must be done Congress must act as a team, thus conflicting loyalties abound given party ties and the influence the parties hold over the work which must be accomplished. There seems to be more concern with party lines and Labels than with finding real solutions to the problems that our country faces. We humans love our labels.
cameron1987

Con

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to voice my case in this. By saying 2 party system, I assume you mean the Democrats, and Republicans. There are more than just those 2 parties. I know you mentioned also theres others. The Democrats and Republicans both pull their own weight in elections in executive, legislative, and judicial offices. You know as well as I do that each party, and or parties have different short term goals. In the end those parties do have pretty much the same long term goals. If you listen/read to past speeches given by both democrat, republican, left wing, and right wing parties they both ended up with in proximity the same goals at the end of their term. I believe that this is not bad, nor is it good. As a capitalist/nationalist Country we americans are narrow minded on a 1 way track on different sides of the rail. If all common thoughts and goals were the same we'd have no economy. Sure we would be debt free along with other government promises. Keep in mind though my good fellow that having tunnel vision gives collapse to a system. Prime example is the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. 1 party system with one common goal. After 70+ years of failed attempts the country collapsed on itself. 2 Parties in the 3 Branches of the US government keeps the economy, and law making system in balance (devil and angel shoulders) without them I truly believe that the country wouldn't necessarily collapse on itself, it would be more of a Controlled Caos.

I turn it over to you!
Sgtmackenzie

Pro

I am quite sure that even though there was built in time for longer discourse to occur for law-making, the founders of the Country did not intend for a system that would be frozen in inaction by polarity. Our lawmakers today are incapable of even aggreeing on a balanced budget, something that every household in the US must at some point do - or go bankrupt. The fact is that heated rhetoric that comes out of the two party system(for the sake of argument no other party other than democrat or republican are large enough to matter) is damaging not only to the countries reputation, but also damaging because it creates a divide that to common people seems insurmountable. It draws a line where lines shouldn't exist. Pessimism is the great tool of political parties, and negativity sells. To truly be optimistic problem solvers, our statesmen and stateswomen must constantly break free from party lines to work together to solve problems.

John Adams said it well - "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution."

I'll end this portion with the words of George Washing, in warning against the party system:

"The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissention, which in different ages & countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders & miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security & repose in the absolute power of an Individual: and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty." " George Washington, September 19, 1796

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cameron1987

Con

cameron1987 forfeited this round.
Sgtmackenzie

Pro

Sgtmackenzie forfeited this round.
cameron1987

Con

cameron1987 forfeited this round.
Sgtmackenzie

Pro

Sgtmackenzie forfeited this round.
cameron1987

Con

cameron1987 forfeited this round.
Sgtmackenzie

Pro

Sgtmackenzie forfeited this round.
cameron1987

Con

cameron1987 forfeited this round.