The ultimate debates #1: Coca-cola (pro) VS Pepsi (con)

Started: 7/21/2014 Category: Funny

The ultimate debates are here!
This debate is impossible to accept. If you would like to debate this, comment. I will accept someone from the comments I would like to debate.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Arguments (max 3)
Round 3: Arguments (max 3)
Round 4: Arguments (max 3)
Round 5: Rebuttals. You may NOT write rebuttals in any other round than the fifth. CON may NOT write rebuttals on my rebuttals in the fifth round. You may NOT bring up any new points in round 5. NO SWEARING OR RACIAL SLURS!

This debate is only about the coca-cola DRINKS vs the Pepsi DRINKS. The ones that you can use are:

Caffeine-free Coca-Cola

Caffeine-free Diet Coke

Coca-Cola Zero

Diet Coke

Diet Pepsi

Caffeine Free Pepsi

Pepsi Next

Diet Pepsi Caffeine-free

Thank You,

Thank you for accepting! This shall be a very interesting debate that I have always seen and heard but I have never debated it so, here we go!

Carbonation is a key to soda drinks these days, especially in the battle of pepsi and coke. It adds a texture and makes it more appealing, and frankly quite tasty. The original Coca-Cola is known to be more carbonated, giving it a more delightful fizz than Pepsi. If you don’t believe me, hear this:

“Coke is more "fizzy" than Pepsi. Although you probably couldn't tell just by looking at the bubbles, you can also taste them to see.” {2}

“Coke gives the fizzy effect as it has a higher percentage of carbonation. This can be seen by shaking the bottle and noticing the bubbles formed. More bubbles appear in coke due to the higher level of carbonation.” {1}

“Pepsi is less carbonized than Coke, because it contains less CO2. Which means that Coca-Cola drinks are more fizzy than Pepsi ones.” {3}

Three different sources to show you that Coca-Cola is more “fizzy.” Besides tatse, carbonation has many benefits:

“Carbonation is known to alleviate stomach upset since the gases in carbonated drinks help to eliminate feelings of bloating. Whether bloating is caused by overeating or eating a certain kind of food, a glass of soda or sparkling water can be beneficial. Many people report that carbonation also helps to reduce the symptoms of a hangover, perhaps because the carbonation aids the body to metabolize toxins in the stomach. In fact, carbonated drinks were first marketed to alleviate hangovers.” {4}

Besides alleviating stomach’s, it also: “decreases the negative effects of sodium.” {4}

So, if Coca-Cola is more carbonated than Pepsi, Coca-Cola has these good results from carbonation enlarged.

How much caffeine does Coca-Cola have (in a 12 fl. oz. can)?

34 mg {5}

How much caffeine does Pepsi Cola have (in a 12 fl. oz. can)?

38 mg {6}

This might seem like a small difference, but over a long period of time and a lot of cans drank it can make a difference. Ok so why did I give you those numbers?

Well, there are many disadvantages in having caffeine:

“Caffeine consumption may raise blood pressure in those already suffering from hypertension. People with hypertension were given 250 mg of caffeine...and the data

revealed that their blood pressure was elevated for about 2-3 hours after the caffeine” {7}

250 mg can come quicker with pepsi, because it has more caffeine in one can of it.

“Caffeine may cause insomnia. Caffeine in a person’s system at bedtime can mimic the symptoms of insomnia” {7}

More caffeine=more insomnia=pepsi has more caffeine= pepsi thus makes more insomnia.

“Caffeine can cause headaches. While occasional doses of caffeine can relieve headache symptoms, the overuse of caffeine can cause headaches and lead to migraines.{7}”

Overuse comes way quicker with more caffeine. Thus, pepsi can give you a overuse quicker than coca-cola!

“Caffeine can lead to many adverse symptoms including death, especially in those with underlying medical conditions. Some have a lower tolerance for caffeine than others.” {7}

But that’s not all!

For a 130 lb person, all you would need to drink is “233.49 cans of Pepsi Cola before croaking.” {8}

Coca-Cola Zero tastes almost exactly like coke. Then what is the difference? Zero calories, AND zero caffeine. So you very well might say, “the sweeteners though, they must have a lot.” Ok yes, I admit, they do have sweeteners, but let’s compare my Coca-Cola zero with your Diet Pepsi Caffeine Free (simply because they seem like the same variation of each product).

Coke Zero has 58 mg of ASPARTAME and 31 mg ACESULFAME K, so a total of 89 mg of artificial sweetener. {9}

Diet pepsi caffeine free has a whole 118 mg of ASPARTAME. {9}

The difference is a whole 29 mg of artificial sweetener!

So why is this bad? Well, let’s take a look:

“ Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal, NatraSweet, Canderel, Spoonfuls, DiabetiSweet) is a common chemical sweetener with possible side effects that sound like they're out of a horror movie. From hallucinations to seizures to brain tumors, it is hardly worth consuming for the sake of saved calories.” {10}

You see, that will come way quicker when drinking pepsi because pepsi has a lot more aspertame!

I am looking forward to your arguments,

Strycora forfeited this round.

Thank you for your argument. Cough, cough. Now here is mine:

Orangutans are one of the worlds endangered:

“Both orangutan species are considered to be Endangered, with the Sumatran orangutan being Critically Endangered.” {1}

How many are there?

“There are actually 2 subspecies of orangutan with very different population estimates: Sumatran (Hominidae Pongo abelii) has an estimated wild population of 7,300 Bornean (Hominidae Pongo pygmaeus) with an estimated wild population between 45,000” - {2} Okay, even if this source isn’t the greatest, we all still know that they are endangered.

This is terribly sad. Just look at them:

But you know what a big part of the people making them extinct? Conflict palm oil. It is “Clearing land for production of biofuels” {3} This land is the habitat of the orangutans! Just look at this:

By buying and drinking pepsi, you are killing these orangutans because it has this conflict palm oil.

“Contributes to the killing of orangutans by purchasing conflict palm oil, the Rainforest Action Network alleges.” {4}

Drinking pepsi, you are the process of killing such a cute, loving, and fun animal.

If you drink Coca-Cola though, you are drinking a conflct palm-oil free beverage!

This may seem weird, but don’t worry. These effects from coke are because it is very acidic. But the acids in you stomach are much stronger and so if you can survive that, then you can easily be fine with coca-cola.

Weird but cool (and proven) uses for coke:

“1. Remove grease stains from clothing and fabric (I had to start there)

2. Remove rust; methods include using fabric dipped in Coke, a sponge or even aluminum foil.

3. Remove blood stains from clothing and fabric.

4. Make gooey Coke funnel cakes .

5. Clean oil stains from a garage floor; let the stain soak, hose off.

6. Loosen a rusty bolt; pour on some Coke and wait for the magic to happen.

7. Kill slugs and snails; a small bowl of Coke will attract them, the acid will kill them.

8. Help a lawn become lush and green (see my lawn tonic article here )

9. Prevent an asthma attack! Apparently, the caffeine in two 12oz cans can prevent the onset of an attack.

10. Defrost a frozen windshield. Apply liberally and wait (I’ll see if this works in winter)

11. Clean burnt pans; let the pan soak in the Coke, then rinse.

12. Descale a kettle using the same method in 11.

13. Neutralize a jellyfish sting.

14. Clean car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one.

15. Cure nausea; let a can of Coke go flat then take a teaspoon of Coke every hour.

16. Also, flat coke can help relieve an upset stomach (aka “the runs”)

17. Make a Mentos & Coke exploding fountain. This one takes a 2-liter bottle of Coke.

18. Get rid of hiccups; gargle with a big mouthful of ice-cold Coke.

19. Shake up a can and pour it over your windshield to remove bugs and other crud.

20. Use the method in 19 for your car bumpers, too.

21. Clean your engine; Coke distributors have been using this technique for decades.

22. Relieve congestion; boil and a can of Coke and drink while hot to clear you up.

23. Make a sweet BBQ sauce. Mix a can of Coke with ketchup and brush over ribs or chicken.

24. Baste a ham roast with Coke as it cooks. The sugars will caramelize; the ham will be moist.

25. Add a can of coke to your pot roast to tenderize it and add extra flavor. (Thanks Linsey).

26. Make pretty pennies; soaking old pennies in Coke will remove the tarnish.

27. Make your hair curly; pour flat Coke onto long hair, leave for a few minutes then rinse.

28. Age documents and photos; for that antique look, apply Coke, pat with paper, leave to dry.

29. Clean tile grout; pour onto kitchen floor, leave for a few minutes, wipe up.

30. Mix a can of Coke with a packet of Italian seasoning; cook a tough steak in it.

31. Make better compost; Coke increases the acidity, adds sugars and feeds microorganisms.

32. Dissolve a tooth in it; Use a sealed container, this takes ages. Why would you want to though, unless you’re Hannibal Lecter?

33. Remove gum from hair; dip into a small bowl of Coke, leave a few minutes. Gum will wipe off.

34. Get silky skin; mix a spoonful of Coke with regular lotion and apply liberally.

35. Make low-fat brownies .

36. Pour a little in a cup and set it out an hour before a picnic, away from your site; it will attract wasps and bees so they’re not bugging you and your grub.

37. Remove stains from vitreous china.

38. Got a dirty pool? Add two 2-liter bottles of Coke to clear up the water (it acts as rust remover).

39. Add Coke to your laundry to remove bad smells, especially fish.

40. Remove (or fade) dye from hair by pouring diet Coke over it.

41. Mop a floor with Coke to make it sticky. It’s a movie industry trick to stop actors slipping.

42. Remove marker stains from carpet. Apply Coke, scrub, then clean with soapy water.

43. Clean a toilet; pour around bowl, leave for a while, flush clean.

44. Apply to skin for a deep tan (although this seems like a recipe for skin cancer to me).

45. Supposedly, drinking an 8oz can of Coke every day can prevent kidney stones.

46. Add it to a Sloppy Joe mix

47. Perk up your Azaleas or Gardenias.

48. Coke and aluminum foil will bring Chrome to a high shine.

49. Strip paint off metal furniture; soak a towel in Coke, sit it on the surface for days. Make sure you keep adding Coke to keep the towel wet. (Seems like a hassle, I’d rather buy paint stripper.)”- {5}

Honestly, enough said.

That is all. Thank you,

Strycora forfeited this round.

Alright, it seems that you have forfeited the previous round as well.

I however, will not.

These words are from DDO users from around the globe.

61% of people believe that coke is better.

"Coke way better!

Taking that first sip of a cold can of Coke is so crisp and refreshing. There is nothing like it. Pepsi tastes like its trying to replicate that, and is failing miserably. Pepsi is too sweet and it tastes flat. There is no comparison. Coke beats Pepsi by far. Their marketing is better too. Coka Cola doesn't need a ton of celebrities to endorse their product like Pepsi does. If a restaurant doesn't have Coke than I go elsewhere"

" Coke is the best!

Coca-Cola is much better than Pepsi because, Coke has better flavor. To me Pepsi tastes too sweet, and Coke has the right balance of sugar to cola flavor. I also like the "My Coke Rewards" because it lets me get unmistakably good deals/rewards. I have just started collecting Coke Rewards to get their sweet deals, but I have been drinking Coca-Cola for a very long time."

"Coke is better

Nothing against Pepsi, whatsoever, however, I just feel like if I were to sit down with my family and eat a meal I'd ask for a Coke. I hardly ever drink soda anyways, but Coke is sweeter to me than Pepsi. If I'm going to drink something terrible for me, I'd much rather have the sweeter, more likely to rot your teeth soda. And hasn't Coke been around longer?"

For more opinions about the Cola wars, please read this.

While this may not be a proper argument, it is something.

Well then, I am done for now.

Strycora forfeited this round.

Well then, it appears I have won. Con has forfeited all rounds. Please vote pro.

Thanks for reading this debate, and one more, vote pro.

Strycora forfeited this round.
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
Its okay. It is already said and done
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
I suggest reopening this for a new challenger.
I might accept you if I
a) get confirmation from my counterpart in this account that he will help
b) no one else who I think I want to debate more than you writes a comment
Posted by Strycora 2 years ago
I will take you up and defend the truth that is the superiority of Pepsi over Coke!
Would Love some people!
still 10 people
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
just look at the people...majority says coke is better than pepsi
the other ones will be in a while anyhow
Fair enough
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: An unfortunate waste of Pro's time. Conduct for the forfeits, arguments for the lack of any rebuttal or case from Con. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.