flamebreath
Ore_Ele

The united States should eliminate Transfat within the schools nutritional service

flamebreath

Pro

Thanks for accepting this debate
for those who may want to accept this debate, I would like to state some procedures or at least the format of this debate.
Round one:introduction
Round two: actual speech
Round three:cross examination
Round four:conclusion and state reasons why you are right.
Thank you again and hope to have a good debate
Ore_Ele

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate and highly look forward to it.

I will be arguing that schools ought limit and provide cost-effective healthy alternatives to transfats, but that there is no need to complete eliminate them from our schools.

I will let my opponent clarify, but is "school" to mean k-12, or shall we include all public universities? Also, do you wish to include private schools in this or only public schools.

I will pass to my opponent for this round now.
flamebreath

Pro

School as in K-12 and only public schools
Thanks for accepting.

Definitions : School- an institution designed for the teaching of students (http://en.wikipedia.org...)
Eliminate:to put an end to or get rid of (http://www.merriam-webster.com...)
TransFat: an industrial process that adds hydrogen to liquid vegetable oils to make them more solid. (http://www.heart.org...)

===My Case===
Obesity is a major problem in the United States simply because for many years, it has been neglected by our government and school board. we must find that the United States simply can not afford its citizens especially the kids to go on with there life with many physical problems due to Trans Fat contaminated foods.

Contention one: A healthier Generation
What we find in our various school's are not just random kids who come together for one specific goal (to get their education) but kids who will become the future of our Country. Now with that in mind, we must consider the fact that the United States Government rather than supporting and encouraging unhealthy eating habits should fight against it in any hopes of having a prosperous future.
Sub point one: Depression and stress
Rather than giving you some basic surface harms of TransFat, i will provide a much deeper reason to fear Trans Fat especially towards the psychological hazards. When faced with uncertainty of what might happen next, it is the human trait to become afraid more so during the adolescent and young ages. We find that within the school ground, many children feel insecure due to the fact that they are obese thereby going into the stage of depression.
"Obesity is often a symptom of depression, but it may be that obesity caused depression in your case. A classic example of this is some overweight people's refusal to get into larger sized clothes and continue their usual outdoor activities. Unwilling to even dress up, they prefer hiding themselves in their homes rather than taking the GREAT DECISION to get back their lives." (http://www.a-nutritional-supplements.com...)
Sub point two: physical damage
Trans fat within our schools nutrition also leads to many physical diseases such as cardiovascular diseases. we have to find that it is no fair to the children's or our young ones if we simply engorge them with Trans Fat contaminated foods.
in conclusion, Trans is bad for you.
Ore_Ele

Con

My opponent makes an excellent argument against obesity. However, what has failed to be done, is show that transfats are the leading or primary cause of obesity, thus indicating that it ought be eliminated as the solution.

While I fully agree that obesity is a serious problem that can no longer be ignored, there are various other, superior alternative solutions.

Our obesity (as a nation) is caused by an imbalance of calories intake verse outtake, meaning that we are consuming more then we are using. One very nifty feature of our body is the ability to take energy (i.e. calories) that we don't use and save them for later. Even if you eat an all carb diet (which is highly unhealthy, as the body needs proteins and fats), all unused energy is converted from carbs, into fats for future use (the body will do the same with excess protein too).[1] Therefore, by simply saying "no more transfats" our imbalance problem is not going to be fixed.

Lets look at some of the major offenders in school foods, soda and candy. Coca-cola does not have a single gram of fat, infact, most soda doesn't (I cannot find a single one, but I will refrain from making that generalization in case there is one that I did not think of).[2] Let us look at a snickers bar, 13.6 grams of fat, only 0.2 grams of transfat.[3] Or a 3 musketeers bar, with 9.0 grams of fat, no transfats at all.[4] We can even go to McDonalds and see the item with the most transfats is the double quarter pounder with cheese and it has a staggering 2.5 grams of transfats.[5] So we know that transfats are not found in soda, candy, or fast food (the usually suspects of obesity).

Well, lets just see what does have transfats? The number one offender (according to Cindy Moore of the CCF) is butter, which now many butters (particularly soft spread) contain very little transfats (though still some) compared to the older, more traditional stick butter.[6]

We also, as an alternative solution, ought to look at the other side of the equation, exercise. Right now, many schools are cutting their PE programs, at a time when most kids do not do any exercising outside of school.[7] We ought also educate kids and their parents on the importance of a healthy diet. This does not mean that we should go overboard and complete ban and eliminate all transfats from schools, only that kids should be provided various options and the knowledge to be able to make informed choices on those options.

[1] http://recipes.howstuffworks.com...
[2] http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacompany.com...
[3] http://caloriecount.about.com...
[4] http://caloriecount.about.com...
[5] http://www.mcdonalds.com...
[6] http://www.vpul.upenn.edu...
[7] http://abcnews.go.com...
flamebreath

Pro

===My case===
By arguing that obesity was and is still bad for the United States, I also argue that Trans Fat is bad for you simply because Trans Fat is the leading cause of obesity within our various school zone.

===My Opponent Case===
In his first paragraph, my opponent argues that obesity is a very dangerous disease as we know it in which i agree with him however; he clearly failed to state exactly what causes these intense amount of Carbs within our body especially towards the young age. Transfat is what causes this amount of Carbs within the body during our young age and other excess amount of foods have little to no effect on our YOUNG ages and especially during school days.

Within his second paragraph, my opponent states that the children could go to "McDonald's" to acquire a greater amount of Trans fat however he also neglected the fact that the school is most influential to a child and in most cases carry on to adulthood.

Finally i would like to address the fact that the alternatives that my opponent stated are simply ineffective due to the lack of funding, lack of knowledge, ignorance, and most of all lack of time and economic disadvantages. i would encourage my opponent to state different alternatives that would be more effective than the elimination of TransFat within the school NUTRITIONAL SERVICE.
Ore_Ele

Con

"Transfat is what causes this amount of Carbs within the body during our young age and other excess amount of foods have little to no effect on our YOUNG ages and especially during school days."

This is completely untrue. Transfats do not cause carbs. What my linked showed is that eating too much food of anything, be it protein, carbs, unsaturated fats, or transfats, will all yield to obesity, not just transfats. So removing transfats alone will have little or no impact on the health of students if nothing else is done. If they are still eating a lot and not exercising, they are going to get fat.

"Finally i would like to address the fact that the alternatives that my opponent stated are simply ineffective due to the lack of funding, lack of knowledge, ignorance, and most of all lack of time and economic disadvantages."

I will address each of these, one at a time.

Lack of Funding - It is well known throughout the healthcare fields that prevention is much cheaper than treatment.[1] Thus prevention methods of obesity, such has healthy food options, nutritional eduction (for both parents and students) and exercising (which is actually free to just walk around for a while anyway), will save the schools and government money.

Lack of Knowledge - Informing parents and students about nutrition and how the body processes foods is a prevention technique which, as shown in the previous example, saves money.

Ignorance - is just another way of saying lack of knowledge, see above.

Lack of time - We all have 24 hours in a day. No one has more, no one has less. All students are in school for the same amount of time, and so they all have the same amount of non-school time.

Economic disadvantages - this doesn't really apply unless we are asking parents to pay for it themselves, which we wouldn't, since it is a public school paid for by taxes.

Thank you

[1] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
flamebreath

Pro

In conclusion I urge you to vote pro simply for the future generation and the promotion of a healthier future.
Ore_Ele

Con

I thank everyone who takes the time to read this debate and vote on it. Since my opponent did not summarize his arguments in his final round, I will also not summarize.

Thank you all.
Posted by blazingflame 6 years ago
blazingflame
i belief pro gave a better and more convincing speech
Posted by nonentity 6 years ago
nonentity
I gave arguments to Con because Pro failed to convince me that trans fats should be eliminated. Con argued that the problem with obesity isn't completely due to trans fats, as well as used sources to back up his claims. Sources also to Con.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
flamebreathOre_EleTied
Vote Placed by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
flamebreathOre_EleTied
Vote Placed by nonentity 6 years ago
nonentity
flamebreathOre_EleTied