SaucySalamander
PowerPikachu21

The use of French the the movie "Ice Age"

SaucySalamander has forfeited round #2.
Started: 7/8/2017 Category: Movies
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

SaucySalamander

Pro

In the movie "Ice Age" the character "Sid," who is a sloth, says "bon appetit" while presenting a pine cone as a meal to a rhinoceros. My brother argues that the phrase "bon appetit" should not be used because it is French, and the movie is being translated from the language that would be used by animals to communicate with eachother to English. My argument is that the movie is not being translated from how the animals would communicate with eachother, but instead the lines are written how people would talk today. "Bon appetit" is such a commonly known French phrase that it makes complete sense to include this phrase in the movie .
PowerPikachu21

Con

Are you arguing about how a simple French phrase shouldn't be in an animated movie, or the fact that animated characters are speaking at all? And tons of Americans know that "bon appetite" means something along the lines of "happy dining", as is used in various spots on TV, though none are coming to mind. Nevertheless, there's no reason why this line should be controversial.

"My argument is that the movie is not being translated from how the animals would communicate with eachother, but instead the lines are written how people would talk today."

Take any movie where animals are the main characters, and imagine them not speaking, but rather making their respective sounds. Doesn't sound very exciting. Also, some movies need speech so we, the viewers, know what's going on. And with giving characters the ability of speech, comedy becomes available. Lots of barking doesn't sound nearly as funny as "I'd much rather be at home with Susie. This place is giving me the chills!"
Posted by Phenenas 1 year ago
Phenenas
I think y'all are putting too much thought into ICE GODDAMN AGE!