The use of cell phones by students should be encourage

I speak against the motion that mobile phone shouldn't be encourage in school by students.
A mobile phone is a wireless handheld device
that allows users to make calls and send text
messages, among other features .
To set the ball rolling,
I would like to note that I am not arguing
against faculty, teachers, or staff having or using
cellphones, if the need arises, nor against
students possessing cellphones in their lockers
for use after hours or in emergencies.
All key words are assumed to have their normal
Cellphones distract students from the
Given the the purpose of school is to educate
the students, anything that disrupts learning is
Most cellphones are capable
of sending and receiving text messages; most
phones have games on them. Smartphones are
mini gaming consoles, with thousands of games
available to download. Most cellphones now
double as mp3 players, allowing students to
take their music into class with them and listen
through earbuds.
I hope that I don't have to establish the
widespread use of cellphones in class, sending
texts, playing games, looking up answers,
listening to music. It is common knowledge that
these practices are ubiquitous. The quality of
the education that these students are ignoring
is not the question here; the point is that by
engaging in these other activities the students
are missing out on their main opportunity to
gain a good education.

I thank my opponent for allowing me to debate this argument, and wish him or her "Good Luck" with the Debate. To begin, I wish to define some definitions for this debate. The first being "Cell Phone", which I agree with the definition from my opponent that he or she presented, being: "A mobile phone is a wireless handheld device that allows users to make calls and send text messages, among other features". Then there is "student" meaning: "A person who takes an interest in a particular subject". And finally, there is "encourage" which is defined as : "Give support and advice to (someone) so that they will do or continue to do something"; or "Help or stimulate (an activity, state, or view) to develop".

My opponents argument that he or she has brought upon is a cell phone being distracting towards the students. I admit it can, but I must ask one question within the debate: "Do you think most of the knowledge gained in school will be used a lot in the future"? I mean, I agree that students should put more focus; but are they ever going to use most stuff from school in real life? Probably not, because stated under an article titled "You learnt it all at school - but how much do you remember", 85% of the information gained from school die off after about a year. Because of most adults using experience learned, than just knowing a fact. An example is if I told you to fill up a bucket of water near the edge, and then weigh it. Are you going to use a complex math formula to calculate the weight, or just simply place it on a scale? Same situation with adults in modern society; so if kids are getting distracted from their learning, are they going to truly use the information within the future?

My opponent also states that most cell phones are used during the middle of class. I admit that they do, but focusing on the topic on hand, students can gain knowledge from using a phone than a text book. Let me ask another question, is the future of our society going to reliable on technology, that will need knowledge of coding? If you say no, explain to me of why; otherwise it is presumed that our society will rely on technology in the future. Students are actually learning to use all the "advanced" features within a phone, and also using its power for other beneficial things.

My opponent then claims that students play games on their phone, when in reality, most do not. Stated on a statistic from "Forbes", they stated that 56% of people use their phone to search on the Internet for articles. And funny enough, the articles that are searched up are about facts within our government, economy, and local news. So if my opponent claims that students are not learning, then why are they learning about all this information from their cell phone?

To conclude this argument, cell phones should be encouraged because it actually helps kids get smarter, and really do not cause harm within society. If our society's future is going to rely on technology, then why discourage kids to use their cell phones; when it will be a common practice? It is said that in schools, tablets will be used instead of textbooks because of being more "reliable".

I will unfeignedly thank my opponent for arguing with me on this topic .
To begin ,we know we are in the 21th Century which is Computer world.
Here I accord with you that it facilitates the student in learning without taking theirbooks.

I discord with my opponent because
Cellphones with cameras and/or internet
connection aid students in cheating on exams
and quizzes.
Any cellphone with an internet connection
permits the student to look up answers for
quizzes and tests. Cellphones with cameras give
the cheater an easy and discreet way of
photographing exams so other students can crib
off his answers. Given the purpose of testing is
to prove the students grasp of the subject, these
shortcuts to good grades are destructive and
counterproductive. Cheating is already a large
enough problem without allowing the students
such powerful tools for bypassing the whole
point of school.
If students can merely look up the answers
whenever they need them, grades lose their
power as an incentive to study. Cellphones rob
students of a powerful motivator to work at their
education, and give them the means to slip by
without working.
For emergency purposes, for communication with
parents, and for whatever harmless
entertainment or communication over the lunch
hour the students may use them for, cellphones
are useful tools. They are harmful to education
during class, however, and should not be
permitted in the classroom.
I return this debate to my opponent.

I will rebuttal against my opponents statement. He admits that the 21st Century will be a computer world, with the given quote being: "Here I accord with you that it facilitates the student in learning without taking their books". So if our world is becoming that of a computer world, how could we prevent the usage of cell phones?

In my opponents next argument, he states that with cell phones, there will be an increase in cheating. To counter argue this statement, I must ask the following question. What about at home? Kids can still cheat on their homework with their phones, and cannot get caught, unless by a responsible parent; but who doesn't say they don't cheat at home on homework? You cannot take that right away, because of being "afraid" of possible cheating; even though there are other ways, besides cell phones. Stated in a statistic, from "Common Sense Media", it states that only 35% of teenagers use their cell phone to cheat on tests. That is a more minority, than the common method of copying off ones neighbor during a test. My opponent claims that cell phones can cause cheating, and it can, but there are other ways to do it; like given the statistic that a minority of teenagers actually use their phone to cheat.

Now to my new argument of why cell phones should be encouraged. In our society, we are advancing i technology, like my opponent stated earlier, and with cell phones; students can adapt to this technology. Here is a real life situation that is about to happen in my life. I want to become a police officer in the future, and did numerous interviews on police officers to gain some tips. One thing is that it is good to be young when joining the force, because it is estimated that in 5 years, there will be an upgrade to standard police methods. So if we discourage students into using their cell phones, what will that achieve? Our younger generation needs to put focus on technology, to see how it works, than disregard because of possible "fears".

To conclude, with exposing students to cell phones, they can adapt to their new environment of technology. My opponent brings up cheating being an issue, but anything can be an issue. Even a pencil, where someone else could write the answers in; but are we banning pencils because of this "fear"? No! And my opponent also regarded my own argument, in the first round, about the statistic that students are learning when using their phone.

I rebut against my opponent argument. According to him or her statement ,he or she stated that "we are advancing in technology"
In modern traditional days we communicate through drums but this days we use phone to communicate which make us lazy and dependant on machines ,we go to farm with combine harvester,tractors etc this decrease the skills of our knowledge.
To proceed to my argument the Classroom , Technology, Mobile Phone
In modern classrooms, instructors face many
challenges as they compete for students'
attention among a variety of communication
stimuli. Rapid growth of mobile computing,
including smart phones and tablets, presents a
double-edged problem: along with previously
unimaginable access to information come
previously unforeseen distractions. Of wide
concern to many instructors is the potential
distraction caused by students using their
mobile devices to text, play games, check
Facebook, tweet, or engage in other activities
available to them in a rapidly evolving digital
terrain. That concern has potential merit; recent
statistics from the Pew Foundation show that the
median number of daily texts for older teens
rose from 60 in 2009 to 100 in 2011 (Lenhart,
2012 ). Moreover, 64% of teens who own cell
phones have texted during class, even in schools
where cell phones are technically banned
(Lenhart, Ling, Campbell, & Purcell, 2010 ). Those
texts potentially come at the expense of
learning, as texting during class reduces
students' ability to self-regulate and give
sustained attention to classroom tasks (Wei,
Wang, & Klausner, 2012 ).
Cell phones, and the broader array of digital
mobile devices, pose unique communication
challenges for both users and those with whom
they interact. Some critics argue that texting and
other digital communication behavior potentially
diminish key social skills like effective listening.
As one commentator noted, "We think of phones
as a communication tool, but the truth is they
may be just the opposite" (Skenazy, 2009 , np).
Other views suggest that people are adapting to
new communication norms in an increasingly
digital world, learning to quickly attend to,
process, and respond to multiple and sometimes
simultaneous messages (Davidson, 2011 ). Given
the many possible ways that digital
communication tools will continue to influence
practices of teaching and learning (Schuck &
Aubusson, 2010 ), instructional communication
scholars should enact programmatic research to
understand how these tools impact classroom
communication and subsequent learning
The present study builds on past research by
examining whether texting or posting to a social
network site has negative impacts on students'
note-taking behaviors and subsequent
performance on exams.

To resolve my argument,cell phones brings about Disrespect : Cell phones are so small these days and using them surreptitiously that detecting their use is difficult.
The issues of cyber-bullying,
sexting, and other forms of serious misconduct
are increasingly common and easier to conceal
with cell phone technology. Cell phones in
the hands of problem students just make the
problems harder to discern and harder to
handle. Some argue that the teen angst
common in that age group is exacerbated with
cell phone use: everything from gossip to
sexuality becomes a bigger issue when cell
phones are involved.

To begin my closing argument, I first like to propose a rebuttal to my opponents statements. My opponent, previously, agreed that technology is advancing; given in his second argument with the following quote: "We know we are in the 21th Century which is Computer world". In my previous argument, I mentioned that he agreed upon the fact that our world is turning into a world that heavily relies on technology. My opponent claims that the use of technology will make people "lazier", with the examples of not using "enough skills" in farm work. And even claims, with the given quote "In modern traditional days we communicate through drums but this days we use phone to communicate which make us lazy and dependent on machines ,we go to farm with combine harvester,tractors etc this decrease the skills of our knowledge". It is true that we will become more dependent, but we still will use a lot of knowledge and skills to get the job done. Stated under the article titled "Robot Farmers are the Future of Agriculture, says Government", it states that to use these robots, a enhancement of coding is needed to get the robots going. Coding is already a tough enough skill and requires a lot of knowledge, and my opponent is saying we will not become smarter? Further into the article, it states that at first the robots will need to be handled with a remote control, like the ones when you drive a remote car; but will later be controlled by our phones.

Continuing to rebuttal against my opponent, let me first say that he only "attacked" one of my arguments and not all of them. This kind of hints a sign that he cannot counter argue most of my claims, and puts me into a more victorious position. Any who, I will continue to rebuttal against my opponents other statements before coming to my conclusion. My opponent then claims that a lot of students use their mobile phone too much within class, and have the possibility of cheating within class. In my previous argument, I stated: "In a statistic, from "Common Sense Media", it states that only 35% of teenagers use their cell phone to cheat on tests". Like I mentioned previously, that is a minority of people who you claim to "cheat" a lot. For your other arguments, please let me bring upon you a recent statistic found. 73% of teachers are using phones to actually teach kids to learn! Stated under the article "73% of AP, NWP Teachers Say Their Students Use Mobile Phones for Learning", it states that students learn better if you cause a distraction within their own addiction. Example of this is to use mobile apps that teaches students how to do Math or English, which they learn more easily; than on the board. The reasoning is because of doing something they like to do, with no authority saying "They can't". So technically, they are using their phones to learn; not to be disrespectful.

For the social communication skills, my opponent claims that they will not improve in social communication skills. I beg to differ, because stated in a statistic, titled "You've Never Met 7% Of Your Facebook 'Friends'", it states that 89% of people using social networking actually meet people online; and within five years, actually meet the person face to face. Even though, I admit, that cell phones does not enhance an overwhelming of communication skills; it instead creates a stronger bond among people. Have you ever had a secret you wanted to tell, but afraid to do it in public? On cell phones, you can text your friend about this and create a stronger bond more often than social communication. A stronger bond means a more happier friendship!

To conclude my argument, my opponent looks at the negative effects about a phone. Some I agree with, like Cyber Bullying, but only a minority of it. My opponent looks at practically all of the negatives and refuses to look at the positives, by never bringing a rebuttal against my previous arguments. While I actually brought a rebuttal towards my opponents arguments, and brought in a new way to look at the phone. It is not a simple tool of addiction, it is a tool that is the first step towards our future of relying on technology. My opponent admits we are moving onto this world, like I stated numerous times, and I must ask the question. Why wait when it is expected already?

With that in mind, I thank my opponent for a great debate, and hope that he had fun too!