MasterDebaterts
Republican_Crack-Down

The use of marijuana in the U.S. would be for the better of the common good

MasterDebaterts

Pro

I would like to start the debate off simple, I will state my contentions, then in the second round support them, and finish the third round by breaking down the opponents case.

The legalization of marijuana would be better for the common good for these three reason:

1.) Making a substance illegal violates several rights, most importantly the right to life
2.) Taxing marijuana will help the economy
Republican_Crack-Down

Con

I'll organize this debate the same way my opponent has.
I will state my contentions, then in the second round support these contentions, and in the final round I will break down my opponent's case.

The legalization of marijuana would be worse for the common good for these three reasons;

1) The legalization of marijuana causes many different types of health issues
2) The legalization of marijuana causes more risks in society and communities, including those who don't use marijuana
3) The legalization of marijuana causes many risks in the workplace

I would also like to thank everyone for taking the time to observe and read this debate.
MasterDebaterts

Pro

First I think that a few terms must be defined from the resolution to help the judges and voters fully understand the topic of this debate. Like stated before the word "use" in the resolution should be replaced with "legalized". The opponent and I both agreed to this change. The word "better" can also be defined as a benefit, and finally the phrase "common good" can be defined as having benefit for the majority of society, in this case the U.S. I will now explain my two contentions in better detail and will then break down my opponents case in the final round.

Contention 1: It is very crucial in this debate to realize the rights that all citizens in the U.S. are given. The very basics are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It is then very important to realize what a victimless crime is. This is where a law is violated, but only causes the actor of the crime to be affected. Suicide and drug use are two very good examples of victimless crime. It is then crucial to realize that when a victimless crime is committed, and the actor is punished, this violates rights given to us in the constitution. If we value these rights, we must vote pro on the debate at hand. The right most often violates concerning victimless crimes such as drug use is the right to life. So lets look at what is valued in a right to life, in other words, what is life? What separates us humans from animals is our autonomy and ability to make conscious decisions. When the "law" makes a decision for us, on a topic only affecting ourselves(victimless crime), it violates this right to life. In other words, if the government makes a decision for us on a topic only affecting ourselves, this violates our personal autonomy, and then our right to life. Removing rights can in no way benefit the common good. Hitler began the holocaust by taking away rights from the Jews. He later went and tried to remove this race from the Earth. The removing of human rights has never worked in this past, and the U.S. is no exception. To vote con, would be to support the removing of human autonomy from citizens of a country we claim is free.

Contention 2: On top of allowing us more rights, the legalization of marijuana can also benefit our failing economy. It is well known that a very hefty percent of the governments annual income comes from tobacco tax. Marijuana taxes will be no different, and these taxes will come if marijuana is a legalized product. On top of an increase in government money, the U.S. will also see new jobs available in the growing and distributing of the product. The market will also benefit from an increase in circulation of goods. The legalization of this substance will not only allow us more autonomy and more value to the right to life, but also a better economy, which in these times would very well support the common good.

To vote con on this debate would be to support the loss of more rights, and to help drive the economy into the ground. This simple step will lead to other rights and will overall promote the common good, and the U.S. as a whole.
Republican_Crack-Down

Con

Republican_Crack-Down forfeited this round.
MasterDebaterts

Pro

MasterDebaterts forfeited this round.
Republican_Crack-Down

Con

Posted by MasterDebaterts 8 years ago
MasterDebaterts
Sorry, when i said use in resolution i ment legalization. Your case will still work either way.