Wallstreetatheist
Rice

The user known as Rice should be my DDO girlfriend.

Wallstreetatheist

Wallstreetatheist

Pro

This should be a fun debate to familiarize Rice with the characteristics and format of DDO debates :D

Resolution:

Rules:
(1) Debater must have typing experience and internet access.
(2) Place your arguments and sources inside the debate
(3) Structure the debate in a readable, coherent fashion.
(4) No semantics, trolling, or lawyering.
(5) Try not to be so adorable all the time.

Rounds:
(1) Acceptance
(2) Main Argument
(3) Rebuttal to opponent's main argument
(4) Response to rebuttal + closing arguments + voting issues (one paragraph)

Definitions:
Rice: This girl--> http://www.debate.org...
DDO Relationship: It's like a relationship, but on DDO with a humorous, flirty quality.

Burden of Proof:
I haz the burdens of proof! I can typing!

By accepting this debate you accept the rules, definitions, and BOP.

Kittens!
Rice

Con

I accept this debate and I greatly anticipate your opening arguments :) Thank you so much for this chance to familiarize myself with the DDO debating community!
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Hi, cutie :) Thanks for accepting this debate. Just follow the format, play along, learn as you go, and have fun while you're doing it!

We're Both Sexies

http://tinyurl.com...
http://tinyurl.com...

Both Rice and I are extremely attractive individuals, and would most likely look wonderful as a pair.

Similarly attractive people with good energy tend to look good together.
WSA and Rice are similarly attractive people with good energy.
------------------------------------------------------------------
WSA and Rice would likely look good together ;)

Great Conversationalist and Listener

Many DDOites can attest to the fact that I am a great listener and conversationalist. One of the most important things women look for in a relationship is a man who will listen to her problems, understand them, and if the situation requires it: offer help. I love long conversations on the phone, skype, and IM. I have an arsenal of interesting conversation games and techniques to make any old chat fun and interesting.

Power Couple

Rice and I will become the power couple of DDO, quite easily surpassing PopCulturePooka + tulle and thett3 + RoyalPaladin. With the extraodinary combination of our looks, intelligence, and drive, we could create a race of super-libertarian-children who will dilligently take over the world and leave everyone alone. Women, nay people, are attracted to the allure of power, and following the path of least resistance as a charming power couple is an excellent option for us.

I was Rice's first crush / Humor

In the Debate.org forum thread entitled "Who's Your DDO Crush *"

: At 1/24/2013 10:35:47 PM, Rice wrote:
: I don't know many people here yet :( but Wallstreetatheist has had quite a few amusing posts.
http://www.debate.org...

Boom. Another reason Rice should be my girlfriend is as follows in the syllogism:

People should pursue to a great extent what they are attracted to.
Pursuing people in a relationship to a great extent involves becoming girlfriend/boyfriend.
Rice is attracted to Wallstreetatheist.
----------------------------------------------
Therefore, Rice should become Wallstreetatheist's DDO girlfriend.

She also thinks I'm funny, which is a great plus human interaction in general.

Rice should become my DDO girlfriend for the aforementioned reasons. She's attracted to me, we both are cuties, I can make her laugh, I'm a great listener, and in general great boyfriend material.

Your move, beautiful.
Rice

Con

My case is as follows:

Not affirming causes suffering

People wouldn't be able to see such an amazingly attractive pair of people together and thus the people of DDO would suffer greatly.

I would not be able to have the same long conversations with WSA whether it be through the phone, Skype, or IM and thus I would suffer due to the lack of having a great listener and conversationalist at my side.

I would also suffer because I would not be with WSA who was my first DDO crush.

The inevitable multitude of our super-libertarian children (who would also be amazingly good looking) would never come into existence and thus would never be able to take over the world and leave everyone alone. Therefore the entire world would suffer.

We should embrace suffering in order to affirm life

Suffering and loss are inevitable parts of the chaotic world in which we live so the negative enables us to find meaning and lead a joyful life despite crises. We cannot bear meaningless suffering and so we give it a meaning. Modes of thought give suffering a a meaning essentially because people cannot bear meaningless suffering. For example, Christianity explains suffering as punishment. However in the fact that suffering just happens, it will repeat, it will always exist, from there we can see that meaning exists, it lies in the meaningless. When we see this we see that embracing "eternal recurrence" of suffering allows us to not find any shame in this suffering, there can't be any guilt, suffering cannot be seen as punishment any longer because of the "innocence of existence", as suffering will happen inevitably. What is important about this is that when one acknowledges that no matter what, suffering will occur in our chaotic world in which we were plunged into, when one is able to embrace this "eternal recurrence" one changes or turns the "it was" into rather the "thus I willed it". In doing so we are breaking the stranglehold that suffering had previously imposed upon us by controlling our actions so that we seek to avoid this suffering. Instead by embracing it we gain control of it. Professor Philip of the University of Saint Clara gives this example, "One might think of an athlete who engages in more and more strenuous activity, accepts greater and greater pain, handles it better and better, and sees this as a sign of greater strength, as a sign of increased ability. Pain and suffering are turned into empowerment" When we accept suffering, we will it, we would not change the slightest detail essentially, and then we are able to love it. As suffering is inevitable within our world we are then able to gain control over our lives and strengthen ourselves, to do otherwise patronizes us and strips us of our dignity. Therefore as suffering is inevitable in our lives, the impacts of me (Rice) not being WSA's DDO girlfriend causes suffering, in order to have control over my life, to empower myself, I must will this suffering to break the previous phycological stranglehold suffering had over my actions by not structuring my life around ways to avoid suffering.

Found information from Philip J, professor of Philosophy at Santa Clara, and Frederick Nietzsche for my case

Wallstreetatheist

Pro

A good deal of thanks should be awarded to this beautiful sun goddess for her intriguing response. However it must be pointed out that this paradigm of beauty and intelligence is wrong on this occasion and I shall undertake to show why here.

Suffering: affirmation vs. avoidance.

Since Con accepts that being my DDO girlfriend would result in more pleasure than not doing so, I need only affirm that it is best to choose the course of action which produces more pleasure or show that affirming suffering is incoherent.

(1) Con contradicts her beautiful self in affirming what she claims to oppose. The affirmation is of the avoidance of suffering and it lies in the very root of all action. Man acts, that much is certain. And when man (or seductive beauties like Con) acts on their free will, they always implicitly act towards some preference.

What are Con's preferences? We can't know all of them. But one of them at least is to argue here. We can know this since she acted on her own volition to do so. If she didn't want to she wouldn't have. But since she did, she acted on a preference which we can presume would cause her discomfort (aka suffering) if she hadn't.

This isn't just an isolated example, it applies to any course of action. Drinking orange juice affirms our preference for quenching our thirst. Working out affirms our preference for being fit. Any preference acted on by our will essentially affirms non-suffering to suffering. Therefore, Con's argument is conceptually contradicting in any form.

(2) A similar point may be brought up in regards to the contradicting concept of "affirmation of suffering". Isn't suffering something that we disdain or hate? In what sense though an we ever affirm it without relegating it to something other than suffering? I contend that to affirm suffering is to change it completely into something which we wouldn't recognize as suffering at all.

(3) Con has also made an existential claim which she failed to back up. I refer specifically to her claim that the world is essentially suffering. Suffering of non-suffering cannot be essential to the world itself since they're predicated on our own values. But if this is the case then why can't we just re-structure our values to affirm more pleasure than suffering? Why not accept things we cannot change (essential see of suffering I deny as such of course) and seek to change the things we can? This would appear a more beneficial, plausible, and worthwhile course of action than losing ourselves in the acceptances of suffering.
Rice

Con

Rice forfeited this round.
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Wallstreetatheist forfeited this round.
Rice

Con

My Apologies
I must apologize to WallStreetAtheist for forfeiting my last round. I sincerely apologize, it is simply inexcusable for me to have wasted one of my handsome opponent's precious rounds, it was simply inconsiderate. As our round forfeitures demonstrate we are both fallible human beings. Once we recognize this, we can grow together.

My Conclusion
After thinking long and hard about this, I have reached the obvious conclusion that I have foolishly been ignoring. I simply cannot deny it any longer and I must face the truth.

I recognize the fact that both WSA and I are incredibly sexy.
We share the correct political outlook.
Therefore we would create many beautiful libertarian children who would, as my lovely opponent phrased it, "diligently take over the world and leave everyone alone".

I can no longer deny this would make both me, and obviously WSA, happy. Nor can I hide behind philosophical warrants when the truth is intrinsically apparent, that happiness is good.

Now, in summary, my honey bun, buttercup, cutie pie, lover boy, stud, sweet pea [known to you all as WSA] should indeed be my boyfriend.
Now everyone, enjoy this beutiful picture of our future together <3 (and don't worry, there will be more children) picture created by Heineken

Posted by caitiff 3 years ago
caitiff
kill yourselves, for the love of God.
Posted by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
no one will beat thett3 and royalpaladin.
Posted by Zaradi 3 years ago
Zaradi
I started reading this thinking it would be a pointless debate.

Then rice posted a "suffering is good" argument and my day was absolutely made. <3 She's mine WSA!
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 3 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Props to Heineken for da picture, homie.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 3 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Maikuru, is that a good thing?!
Posted by Dovahkiin117 4 years ago
Dovahkiin117
HaHaHa this is sofunny!!!! I laughed so hard!!!!
Posted by Rice 4 years ago
Rice
And happy valentines day <3
Posted by Rice 4 years ago
Rice
I definitely did not post with only one second to spare...
Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
bossyburrito
But... but... I bought you chocolates!!! What has she ever bought you?? HMMM???
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Wallstreet! You look like Michael from Rage Quit!
Vote Placed by tulle 3 years ago
tulle
WallstreetatheistRiceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Despite the fact that I'm with Maikuru and not PCP :p Con did concede!
Vote Placed by Dylip 3 years ago
Dylip
WallstreetatheistRiceTied
Reasons for voting decision: They do make a cute couple.
Vote Placed by Xerge 3 years ago
Xerge
WallstreetatheistRiceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession...
Vote Placed by lit.wakefield 3 years ago
lit.wakefield
WallstreetatheistRiceTied
Reasons for voting decision: lol at Ron Paul. Interesting debate Concession