PiercedPanda
Merberry2012

The winner of debates on this website should be decided when someone votes

PiercedPanda

PiercedPanda

Pro

I have noticed that in this website, there is an amount of time that people can vote. In some debates, people try really hard, but still no votes are made, rendering the debate in a tie. I find this unfair, because some people don't have many connections, lacking the amount of votes that will be made on their debates. So basically, I believe that if the voting period passes the time limit, the winner should not be decided until a vote is made. Con will be against such. Since this is a debate about this website, no sources are required to be displayed.

[To voters, please ignore the voting section entitled: "Who had more reliable sources?"]

1st round is acceptance, I am excited to start this debate, and I hope someone votes. xD
Merberry2012

Con

I think that it is a good thing there are time limits. If there is more time the person or people who created and argues this topic may get anxious. Also, if it is a class project, you would probably need to know sooner! Imagine if you had to wait 20 days for someone to vote and your teacher got you in trouble, when it wasn't even you! This is my opinion and even though you have stated your facts clearly and presentably I think my case is quite stronger and well educated as research has proven my opinions and ideas. You may now rebuttal.
PiercedPanda

Pro

I thank con for accepting this debate. And dear voters, now that I think about it, sources should actually be voted for.

REBUTTALS:

" you have stated your facts clearly and presentably"

I would just like to point out that my first round entry was a debate description, no facts were made, and it wasn't a argument.

" If there is more time the person or people who created and argues this topic may get anxious."

I don't see how this is possible, nor do I understand how it is a bad thing. Anxious means: " Uneasy and apprehensive about an uncertain event or matter; worried." [1] Being worried is not a bad thing.

"Also, if it is a class project, you would probably need to know sooner! Imagine if you had to wait 20 days for someone to vote and your teacher got you in trouble, when it wasn't even you!"

Before I say anything else, think about this: when did your teacher ever ask you to use www.debate.org to do a project? Any ways, if the debate is done, it wouldn't matter if you won or lose in the debate as long as you have your points
(if the debate was for a project.) So it wouldn't matter who won or lose, and also you would most likely not get in trouble because no one has voted for a winner yet.

"This is my opinion and even though you have stated your facts clearly and presentably I think my case is quite stronger and well educated as research has proven my opinions and ideas."

Research? What research? You have no research or anything else that can possibly back up your ideas. No sources, no research, no quotes, no nothing. I will even quote your entire argument right now:

"I think that it is a good thing there are time limits. If there is more time the person or people who created and argues this topic may get anxious. Also, if it is a class project, you would probably need to know sooner! Imagine if you had to wait 20 days for someone to vote and your teacher got you in trouble, when it wasn't even you! This is my opinion and even though you have stated your facts clearly and presentably I think my case is quite stronger and well educated as research has proven my opinions and ideas. You may now rebuttal."

Where is the research or proof in this text? Please show me.

Now for my arguments....

ARGUMENTS:

For this round, I will explain 2 main points: Popularity and time.

On this website, people vote for debates. However some debates are voted for, and some aren't. I have noticed that popularity occasionally factors into this. Dear voters, and opponent, have you ever asked your friends to vote for your debate? I am going to assume that at least one of you have. When doing such, people vote for your debate, which is unfair. Some people don't have friends on this site, and that can be for security reasons. It is unfair someone's debate ends in a draw because they don't have friends. However eventually someone will vote, so they should extend the time limit until someone does in order to solve this.

Time can also be an issue to why people don't vote. People aren't always on, so people who vote a lot may not have the chance to vote for your debate. Because of this, even if you are the obvious winner, the debate will end in a tie. This is once again unfair. So until someone votes, the debate should not end, in order to such.

And as long as we are campaigning for a win (con has done such in his argument "This is my opinion and even though you have stated your facts clearly and presentably I think my case is quite stronger and well educated as research has proven my opinions and ideas. ") then I will do the same. My rebuttals reasonably rendered con's arguments invalid. Also my paragraphs are more organized. Furthermore, my vocabulary and grammar though incorrect, still surpasses those of con. Lastly, I at least have 1 source, and displayed reasoning behind my arguments, and quoted things. :D Now, in the words of my opponent, "You may now rebuttal."

Vote pro, because lets face it, most of you find this a great idea. Good luck con.

Source: (couldn't find areas to use sources, sorry)
1.http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
2.http://www.debate.org...
Merberry2012

Con

I have done multiple researches by looking through comments! I also have been asked to use debate.org for MULTIPLE class projects as an AP student. Yes you do get anxious and for me that is a bad thing. I think worrying causes a lot of unneeded stress. I think a shorter time will also encourage people to make more friends and tell other friends about debate.org which is a lot of good business for debate.org.
PiercedPanda

Pro

I am quite disappointed in my opponent. I was expecting that whoever would actually accept this debate would be a bit more challenging, considering the difficulty of going against such a great idea.

REBUTTALS:

"I have done multiple researches by looking through comments!"

Perhaps you have, however there is no proof that you did in either of your arguments proving that you did. I will now quote both of your argument.

Round 1 argument:

Round 2 argument:

"I have done multiple researches by looking through comments! I also have been asked to use debate.org for MULTIPLE class projects as an AP student. Yes you do get anxious and for me that is a bad thing. I think worrying causes a lot of unneeded stress. I think a shorter time will also encourage people to make more friends and tell other friends about debate.org which is a lot of good business for debate.org."

You have no proof in either of your arguments proving your research. I could do the same. For example, I could say that "89.6% of users on this website agree with my idea, I obtained this data through research." But there would be no proof I researched, just because I did, doesn't mean I really did.

"I also have been asked to use debate.org for MULTIPLE class projects as an AP student. "

I find this very doubtful. First of all, your account only has 2 debates on this, not making it worthy of writing multiple in full caps. [1] Secondly, if you were really an AP student, you would be superior to others on this site, because AP means advanced placement if I'm wrong. And if you look at your account, you lost the only debate you finished. Also, your debating is pretty weak. Mine is to, but still superior to your style, and yet, I am but a child. So you, the so called AP student, just got told by a child :D

"Yes you do get anxious and for me that is a bad thing."

Well let us assume that you indeed to get anxious, this is subjective. Just because you get anxious doesn't mean i would be anxious. And if you were to wait with anxiety, and the debate ended in a tie, would it really be better than waiting a bit longer to find the real winner? At least this way, being anxious would be worth it.

"I think a shorter time will also encourage people to make more friends and tell other friends about debate.org which is a lot of good business for debate.org."

How, on this big blue marble, stuck in this void of shadows and nothingness we call earth is that possible? How is it that with a smaller voting period people make friends? Do you realize how odd that sounds? The reason some people don't get votes is because they don't have friends on this website, so if no one pays attention, then they won't make friends. And how will shorter time periods make people encourage their friends to join? This argument makes no sense what so ever.

ARGUMENTS:

In this following round, I will explain 1 more argument, interest

Some debates are voted by the interesting topic. If the topic is boring, or maybe to advanced, people can't understand, and thus the lack of care takes place. Why vote for a topic that is boring or difficult to comprehend? Well that's the thing, some people may have an interest in the topic, however they are not always on. If the voting period goes past the time limit, even if this voter comes late, he can still vote and basically, decide the winner.

I thank the viewers and voters for reading this debate, and I hope you vote. And if you do vote, please vote pro. Pro has demonstrated sources, and ACTUAL research. Thus making his arguments and rebuttals superior to cons.

source:
http://www.debate.org...
Merberry2012

Con

Merberry2012 forfeited this round.
Posted by PiercedPanda 3 years ago
PiercedPanda
Someone finally accepted my debate, however after my last argument, I don't think he will continue.
Posted by toamatt26 3 years ago
toamatt26
@PiercedPanda: No it won't.
Posted by PiercedPanda 3 years ago
PiercedPanda
I have done such already, and I have 1 quick question. @Romanii, if you cancel a debate, does it count as a loss?
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
No one will take this debate because it isn't debatable. It is a necessary addition to this site. All 6 of the debates I've tied tied because no one voted.
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
Dude, this shouldn't be a debate. It should be a suggestion on the "DDO Improvements" thread. You should contact Airmax with this idea. Voting periods shouldn't start until the first voter votes!
Posted by PiercedPanda 3 years ago
PiercedPanda
Thanks for the support guys. Another thing that annoys me is that people don't accept debates because they don't believe in what they are saying. This doesn't really matter, all you are really doing is rebutting and stating facts, so their isn't that big of an issue going against what you think. I believe no one will accept this debate though, which saddens me.
Posted by Nels4Tats 3 years ago
Nels4Tats
I completely agree, you should put this in the forms or polls because hopefully youll get the creator to take notice and implement this!
Posted by Progressivist 3 years ago
Progressivist
I agree with you completely, so I can't contend.

Hope someone will, would be a great debate.
Vote Placed by urapai 3 years ago
urapai
PiercedPandaMerberry2012Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I like the idea. Pro had better arguments, sources backing them up, and better grammar. Con forfeited, giving conduct points to pro.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
PiercedPandaMerberry2012Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro states in the first round that this is an opinion debate, and then attacks con like crazy for unreliable resources. Pro's position was unclear and muddled by consistent off topic discussion of Con and the Debate rather than the resolution.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
PiercedPandaMerberry2012Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Better arguments by Pro and better conduct as Con forfeited the last round.
Vote Placed by Swagmasterpoopoo 3 years ago
Swagmasterpoopoo
PiercedPandaMerberry2012Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited last round. Pro had more developed arguments and rebuttals. He used more sources than con