The winner of this debate should replace Stephen on The Colbert Report when he replaces Letterman

Started: 4/10/2014 Category: Funny

2:Opening Arguments
3: Ask CX
4: Answer CX
5: Concluding arguments
Good Luck!
Voting will be open for 3 months.

I accept!

My opening argument is quite simple:
I am funny. Hopefully you are funny. Stephen Colbert is funny. As he is leaving to host the Late Night Show when David Letterman retires in 2015.
Due to Colbert's absence, Comedy Central would be out of a half hour show Mondays thru Thursdays, they would need someone funny to fill his shoes. The funnier the better, so here is my first ever headline:

The Colbert Report was a one-of-a-kind show. It combined satirical comedy with current events in a manner that appealed to people of all ages, social standings, races, creeds, and religions. However, what really made the Colbert Report so amazing was... Stephen Colbert.

Now he's leaving Comedy Central to replace Letterman, which is a blessing and a curse. Pro believes that the winner of this debate is worthy of replacing Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report. I, however, believe that replacing Stephen Colbert with anyone but a few select people would be a complete bastardization of the show, and an insult to what the show was. Instead, the Colbert Report should end where it is right now in order to preserve its legacy as one of the best satirical comedy shows on television.

Looking forward to Cross Examination!

Con has brought on good points in his argument. However, he is indeed a "con"man and should not trusted.
Here are my Questions for Cross Examination [to be answered in Round 4]:

You claim "The Colbert Report was a one-of-a-kind show."
Are you aware the show is still going on?

Who do you believe would be a fit replacement?

If no replacement is hired what will Comedy Central do?

Over to you!

Thank you Pro!

Here are my cross-ex questions for round 4:

You claim that being "funny" qualifies you as a replacement. What makes you think that that is sufficient prerequisite to act as Colbert's replacement?

Should I win, what makes you think I would be qualified to replace Colbert?

What reason is there to replace Stephen Colbert, if the time slot can instead be used for a brand new show instead?

Thank you Con!

Here are my cross-ex answers!

1)Colbert is funny. Here are some of his quotes

2)If you win that means the winner should not replace Colbert. Therefore I replace him or no one!

3)What should would they use it for? 'The hidden cameras of Wal-Mart' or "Teacher vs. Technology"?

Over to you!

Here are my answers for Cross Examination:

1. "Are you aware the show is still going on?"
Absolutely! I am just speaking in consideration that the show is nearing its end.

2. "Who do you believe would be a fit replacement?"
I don't believe there is a fit replacement for Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report. I believe a different, new show should take its place. If a replacement is mandatory, the only people I would consider able to pull it off would be either Jon Oliver (although he has his own show on HBO now) or Steve Carrell. This is only due to their past appearances and chemistry with Stephen Colbert via guest-starring on the Colbert Report or on Even Stev/phens. No matter what, however, I do not believe that Pro or I are qualified or capable to act as replacements.

3. "If no replacement is hired what will Comedy Central do?"
As I said, I believe Comedy Central can take this opportunity to launch an entirely new show. There is always potential for something new on television.

ccvarsityhumorinterp forfeited this round.

Pro has unfortunately forfeited round 5.

My closing argument is that above all, Stephen Colbert does not need replacing. The Colbert Report has had (and continues to have until 2015) a great run, but it's time for the show to retire. The Colbert Report without Stephen Colbert would be useless.

If Comedy Central was for some reason insistent on keeping the Colbert Report, neither I nor Pro would be qualified to act as a replacement. However, Comedy Central would be best served replacing the Colbert Report with something new.

Thank you pro for a great debate!
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
Stephen on The Colbert Report when he replaces Letterman?
Who are those people?
Vote Placed by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This was an interesting debate that I found refreshing. The Con made an excellent point that the Colbert show without Colbert is, in fact, not the Colbert show but somebody else's. I did give sources to pro because Con did not use any sources and pro used reliable sources such as CNN.