jonahofdeath
Plasmawipes

The words "under god" in the US Pledge of Allegiance

Plasmawipes has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

jonahofdeath

Con

The beginning round is the acceptance round, as well as basic statements and points to be addressed during the argument.

Reciting the pledge in public schools with the words "under god" targets children, and instills them with a monotheistic statement not believed by all Americans.

You have a swearing of loyalty to your country that includes a biased, religious message. That isn't, and can't be constitutional in my opinion.

The "under God" statement was added in 1954, and was not an original addition to the pledge.

The first amendment does not require the government to be hostile towards religions, but orders government neutrality towards all religions. The fact that it is "under God" and not "under Allah" or "under Zeus" (I'm not saying they should be added) is unconstitutional because it is not neutral towards all religions.

My concluding statement is that it is not constitutionally allowed to be in the pledge, and we should support the separation of religion and state in order to retain constitutional values.
Plasmawipes

Pro

Thank you for this chance of a life time and I accept your debate.

I would like to say that even though church and state is separated from the government that saying "under God" in the pledge of allegiance isn't monotheism and doesn't prove of disprove religious intolerance towards other people's faiths beliefs or anyone. These same people tried to argue the same foolishness about Ohio's State Motto which says " with God all things are possible".

I will further present some brief evidence that these sayings aren't indoctrination of our children. Once again thank you for this chance to debate this topic.
jonahofdeath

Con

Before I begin, I would like to respond to your statement:
"...doesn't prove of disprove religious intolerance towards other people's faiths beliefs or anyone."

If it doesn't disprove or prove religious intolerance towards others, why do we have it? Why can't we change the pledge if it really isn't that big of a deal?

And the bigger question, why was it added in the pledge in the first place, then? (You will notice I ask a lot of rhetorical questions.)

The fact is, the government should not be asking impressionable, vulnerable children to pledge their allegiance to a God at the same time that they are pledging their allegiance to their country. This is easily seen in the pledge "I pledge allegiance to the flag... ONE NATION, UNDER GOD... (I'm not yelling, just adding emphasis)

Anyone saying the pledge is pledging to their nation, which is "protected by a god". It is only indoctrination because only one religious view is present. Like I've said before, if it wasn't biased, why don't we put "under Zeus?" or "under Allah?" in the pledge? Why just "God"?

"Under God" is not a rhetorical statement; there isn't any way you can't take it literally. "Under God" doesn't have any hidden meanings, either. It was a mistake to put it in the pledge, and it is not patriotic and and it is definitely not American.

I await your second argument.
Posted by jonahofdeath 1 week ago
jonahofdeath
Sounds good. I'll remake it.
Posted by Plasmawipes 1 week ago
Plasmawipes
I would love to debate this again I had problems posting my next comment. Every time I tried to post it said: " ERROR " something like that.
Posted by Tree_of_Death 1 week ago
Tree_of_Death
@Grimly--The Buddha isn't considered to be a god by most Buddhists.
Posted by GrimlyF 1 week ago
GrimlyF
"Biased,religious message".Do you mean "under God" ?.Jehovah,Buddha,Allah,Wakantanka et al.Can you name a single religion that doesn't have a central,singular,all powerful entity?.When did "under God"become the preserve of Christians or Muslims or any particular entity?.