Unicornlandia1
MicaylaMae

The world is flat.

MicaylaMae

Unicornlandia1

Con

Hello, and thanks to everyone for checking out this debate. I'm not going to be posting my opening argument in this round, and neither is my opponent (hopefully). Please, just accept in round one. Round two for opening arguments, three for rebuttals, and four, for closing arguments.

Rules:
-No offensive language
-No new arguments in round four.
-Please, use evidence - not opinion or assumption.

Let the debate begin!
MicaylaMae

Pro

I agree to the terms, and will be debating that the world is round.
Unicornlandia1

Con

Clearly, you didn't see that I am arguing that the world is round. Next time, try reading.
MicaylaMae

Pro

OK, how's this. You just wasted a chance to prove you point. Is that reading? Anyway, it is important to see both sides of an argument, so I will from here on out be claiming that the earth is flat, even though I do not agree. I will try to be fair, and not post and opening argument here, because then I would have an advantage. Let's do next round is opening, and last is counterclaim and summing up. If you do not mind, please keep the rude comments to the comment section, (as i see you already have put one there.) Hope this "satisfies" you, as it is now your turn.
Unicornlandia1

Con

In response, I would like to briefly state that as I look back I realize how rude I was. That is not normally something that I would say. (Maybe I was having a rough day?) I'd just like to sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended why my remarks. (:

Now, to the debate!

My main argument is gravity, which cannot be disproved. Gravity is a force we witness in everyday life and makes sense that if the world was flat, gravity would pull it into a sphere. Also, being flat, the Earth's gravity would be off. Since the center of gravity would be the north pole, Antarctica's gravity would be sideways. Why? Gravity pulls you back to the north pole (the center of gravity)

This should be enough evidence, so I'm done my argument for now.

Important: I would like to propose that we now are going to be allowed to post new arguments in round four, because of the little mix-up (sorry again).

To summarize, through the evidence I have shown, be it resolved "The world is flat" must fall.

MicaylaMae

Pro

Thank You!! That literally made my day! There are very few who would have responded like that, and I thank you very much for it!!

The main claim I will take is how Earth would be if it was spinning, and how it would appear if the Earth was spherical. First, if the Earth were round, then the horizon would curve. No matter how high you go, there is not even a slight curve. If you look at a picture from online, horizons are either flat or extremely curved, through a fish-eye lens.
If the Earth spun, the theoretically, airplanes could just fly into the air and wait for their destination to reach them.

That is my first claim. :) Good luck with the remaining rounds!
Unicornlandia1

Con

Happy to see you don't hate me! :)

The reason the horizon does not curve is because it is a circle. The horizon is connected to itself. The curve in the horizon is not visible from the perspective of a human unless they are in space. Next, the reasons that airplanes move are:
1: Gravity. If airplanes didn't move, they'd fall back to the Earth and crash and.... well, that's not something we want.
2: Speed. Can you imagine how long it would take, considering how slow the Earth spins? Sure, 1000 miles per hour sounds fast, but not when you look at the facts. The Earth is also 7917 miles in diameter. We, in our minds, put this into the idea that if we were spinning at 1000 miles per hour. But wait! You're not 7917 miles in diameter! It's not the same thing.
3: Latitude. The Earth doesn't spin erratically. Only in one direction. How would you travel in the other directions without moving?

I understand this is a difficult position for you to argue, considering your opinion, so props for trying (and doing) so well. I actually got stuck for a second there!
MicaylaMae

Pro

Those that firmly believe that the Earth is flat do not believe in gravity. They believe that the flat Earth is accelerating upward, forcing everything down. This would create the most gravity towards the edges, or the poles. So, technically, the whole "must fall" thing is kinda the opposite.

Sorry if this sucked, I kinda have a bit too much life mixed in for my comfort, but good luck with the votes!
Posted by MicaylaMae 9 months ago
MicaylaMae
Ha. I just LOVE how my debater has responded to both completely reasonable comments/ posts with a sarcastic unnecessary rude answer. Fantastic! A admit i did assume that s/he was arguing that the world is flat. I will change positions, as I believe that it is important to see both sides of an argument. I hope mine is just as good as it would ever be, no matter the side. :)
Posted by MicaylaMae 9 months ago
MicaylaMae
Posted by John_C_1812 9 months ago
John_C_1812
Are you asking how and axiom can reasonable explain how the world is flat using mathematics?
Keep in mind that algebra deals in fixed equations which can be explained as a flat expression that does not change. What should be know is that an axiom cannot force a willingness to understand.
Posted by Unicornlandia1 9 months ago
Unicornlandia1
I don't know what you're trying to say, but no, I do NOT believe the earth is flat. I am arguing the world is round. Good to see that so many people can't read.
Posted by LearnerLogic 9 months ago
LearnerLogic
Earth is flat? Is this like a challenge you are doing Unicornlandia1?
Vote Placed by subdeo 9 months ago
subdeo
Unicornlandia1MicaylaMaeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources and S&G were about equal. Con used at least one insulting remark, as well as some in the comments (but I don't think those count in the debates). Either way, Pro comported herself better. Each side made arguments to support their side and rebutted the other sides arguments as well. For this reason arguments are about equal. I have followed the DDO voting guidelines.