Furyan5
Mharman

The world we percieve is a simulation.

Mharman has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Furyan5

Pro

I have undeniable proof that the reality we percieve is actually just a simulation.

First round acceptance.
Mharman

Con

I accept. I will mention the the BoP is entirely on my opponent.
Furyan5

Pro

Einstein once said, "I refuse to believe that the moon ceases to exist when I do not look at it."
What Einstein did not realize at the time is that the moon we see exists only as part of a simulation and it's this simulated moon that ceases to exist when we don't look at the actual moon. Confused? Let me explain.
Everything we see, smell, hear, taste and feel is created in our brain. It's the brains interpretation of electrical impulses. The origin of these impulses may come from an actual reality as detected by our various sense organs or they may not. We have no way of confirming reality except through these sense organs.
Reptiles see in the infrared range and insects in the ultraviolet range. Nothing makes our perception more or less real. The same applies to sound, smell, taste and touch. We experience a reality limited to the sensitivity of our various sense organs. In fact, only 6% of the know universe is comprised of visible matter. We can't detect 94% of reality. Even worse, the 6% we do perceive is filled with illusion. Colors are a typical example. Colors are the brains interpretation of different wavelengths. They are not a property of light or objects. Colors exist only in the simulation we perceive. Then we have mirages, rainbows and reflections. Things which are helpful, for example, applying makeup or spotting a tiger stalking us in high grass, but these things do not exist in reality. What we percieve as reality is a 3 dimensional simulation. We experience it from before birth. Hearing our mothers heart beat. We perceive it whenever we open our eyes. It's understandable that we mistake this simulation for reality as it's all we ever perceive. But this simulation is not real and it's not accurate.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Unfortunately it's an undeniable fact. The neural pathways have been mapped. No assumptions are required.
Posted by SmartMeow 1 year ago
SmartMeow
This argument suffers from two main faults.

Firstly the statement, "The world we perceive is a simulation." is inherently unfallisifiable, and thus not a real argument, if we do perceive a simulation, there is no way to tell it is, and if we don't there is no way to tell we don't, they are two states indistinguishable.

Secondly, the entire argument can be invalidated via 'Occam's Razor's, there is less one needs to assume to state we do not live in a simulation, ergo we do not.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
I have created my left foot... No.... I would have no reason to simulate a left foot in the first place.
Posted by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
Shoot. Sorry.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Prove it.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
...And you can not simulate..
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
You would end with nothing..
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Have we created a galaxy...No..
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
@ RR-MKIV. Yes, time in a simulation would probably run faster than real time, but what I meant is the evidence he is referring to could easily be falsified. It's a simulation. We don't need to wait billions of years for our galaxy to form. We just create a galaxy which appears billions of years old.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
I never said reality is a simulation. I also never said it's not. That is another debate altogether. One I will gladly take you up on.