unicorndebater191
KeeganMix

The worst person of 2015/2016 is __________.

unicorndebater191

Con

The pros job is to fill in the statement and back it up using reasons or contentions. (It's your choice to either lay out contentions or just write a paragraph)

The con must also fill in the statement and back it up using reasons or contentions.

First Round: Acceptance
Second Round: Main Arguments
Third Round: Refutation
Fourth Round: Refutation/Closing Statements

This is a serious debate, please use a real living person!!! Also, groups of people are not allowed.
KeeganMix

Pro

Hello! I'm happy to take up your debate! The worst person of 2015-2016 in my opinion is Jared Fogle (Aka Jared from Subway). Jared was investigated earlier in the year for Child pornography and was later convicted of the same felon. Not only did he have Child pornography on his computer, but was later revealed that he had interaction with children. Jared is a 38 year old man who single-handedly hurt families of young children and a world-wide subway brand. He is currently about to serve a 15 year sentence which i believe is simply way too kind to Mr. Fogle. I'm interested to see who you believe is worst than Fogle and look forward to an interesting debate.
unicorndebater191

Con

I will be arguing that the worst person of 2015/2016 is county clerk Kim Davis for defying federal law and refusing to give out marriage licenses for same sex couples

When Kim Davis refused to give out marriage licenses, she violated multiple federal laws. On June 26, 2015 the US supreme court came to the verdict that same sex marriage was protected under the 14th amendment. Even after four court cases were filed against Ms. Davis she still only received five days of jail time before she was bailed out. Also, Ms. Davis received extra attention by important leaders such as Ted Cruz and Pope Francis for violating Americas laws and becoming a criminal in the eyes of the law. This extra attention, especially on part of Ted Cruz who held a protest during which he said that he stands with her, was completely uncalled for and just aggravated the situation.

I do believe that people should have the right to speak their mind, do what they please, and freely practice their beliefs, especially because it is stated in the first amendment. However, when a woman who clearly violated federal law, got away with very little jail time, and gained the support of a very prominent leader, it gives people the message that they can do whatever they want without suffering the consequences. Because Ms. Davis received so much coverage in the media, this message is spread wide and far across America. This will fuel people to step out and could lead to an even more corrupt and unjust government in the future.

I will be refuting my opponents arguments in the next round.
KeeganMix

Pro

Interesting choice. Sorry for skipping the acceptance, should've paid attention. Anyhow I'll skip to the rebuttles since I've already skipped an entire step.

I believe comparing Kim Davis to a child sex offender is an unfair argument on your part. Kim Davis was expressing her constitutional rights. There are far worst people out there than Kim, but I'm not going to waste 8,000 characters on a list. However, if it is legal for a catholic priest or a religious figure to refuse gay marriage in their church and the church is tax-exempt, what prevents a Catholic from refusing something that is against her beliefs? Not only that, but if the couple was rejected from marriage, then what is preventing the couple from going to a different county and getting approval from another clerk? I believe that Kim was wrongfully set up by the liberal media and it became way out of hand. If it was really that big of a deal then the couple should've just simply looked for a different clerk. I also believe that any second of jail time or a dime of bail money was unnecessary. I believe Kim was violated of her constitutional right to practice any religion. Kim Davis isn't even the only person to refuse marriage to gays. In Oregon, Judge Vance Day refused to accept any gay marriage and told the community to find a different county to get married in. The reason why Vance Day's story didn't get blown up by the media was because people respected his Christian beliefs. Kim was the exact same way that Vance was, except the couple did not respect her beliefs and therefore the liberal media took the story and ran with it. The next round I will continue with another rebuttle and defend the fact that Jared Fogle is the worst person of 2015-2016
unicorndebater191

Con

unicorndebater191 forfeited this round.
KeeganMix

Pro

KeeganMix forfeited this round.
unicorndebater191

Con

unicorndebater191 forfeited this round.
KeeganMix

Pro

KeeganMix forfeited this round.
Posted by Kerbs 1 year ago
Kerbs
Probably me.