Mike418
jester108

The youth of America are straying away from what it means to be an American.

Mike418

Pro

Sadly in our current society sex, electronics, and selfishness have come to dominate our current generation of teens. Teens today place a great emphasis on themselves and look to better their lives with material things. Ipods, sidekicks, and xbox360s have all become apart of household tradition without any real effort made by the teens. How many parents can say that they bought their child an electronic because of good grades in school? The more likely reason that these things were bought for them is that they wanted it and everyone else had one. What does it matter if everyone else had one?
The immortal words of President John F. Kennedy, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country," have been reversed. American teens want so much and have been taught to expect to give very little. The values of American teens in general are deplorable. Vulgarity, disrespect, immaturity and laziness have triumphed for the most part in infiltrating their values.
My argument does not concern every American teenager. These characteristics are not present in every teen and I acknowledge that. The fact is that the majority of teens living in America have the characteristics mentioned earlier.

Thank you and I look forward to a response so that the debate may start and so that the topics may be further elaborated on.
jester108

Con

the youth of america are straying away from what i means to be an american!!! well your argument is all about kids getting things from there parents because everyother kid had one...this has nothing to do with straying away from being and american, you sir are not even arguing your own topic. i may be a punk but im not against my government and i sure dont get things just because every other kid had one i have to buy what i want

so argue your topic
Mike418

Pro

Thank you for joining the debate jester108

First I would like to say that the reference I made towards parents and gifts was meant to illustrate my point on how some teenagers place a large emphasis on "self" and none on the good of the country. I understand how the reference did not represent your upbringing. I am sorry for any misconceptions; I am new to this site. If you did notice however I did make a reference to how my assertions were not made to represent my belief in the entire teenage population. I was not attacking anyone.

Your comment was well voiced but that does not change the fact that you have not contributed any statement about the topic in this debate. Proving me wrong in no way proves you right.

From first hand experience it is amazing to see the lack of interest in our country's history and government from today's youth. The media has played a large role in straying teens away from traditional beliefs and values. An example of this would be the channel MTV. The topic of sex dominates the programming because the producers know it is what teens want to see. Ask a random teen what historic event took place on June 6th and you will not receive an answer. You yourself may not think it is important but it is. Thousands of American service men gave their lives to preserve the freedoms which we all take for granted. Today when asked about the Iraq War many teens immediately say they are against it because people are dying. In my search I was not able to find one teen who could have a competent discussion with me about the positive and negative effects of the War. Our generation must be ready to sacrifice once again for those freedoms and sadly many of these teens do not see this sacrifice as beneficial to them so they choose to ignore it.

American's have a strong sense of what is right and what is wrong. Strong education and strong morals are what have created the most successful Americans. Keep in mind however that success is not determined my money. Without proper education how will teens ever understand the consequences of their actions before it is too late. Pregnant teens, drug addictions, and criminals are consequences which have occurred to frequently in this generation.

Thank you once again

Please argue your stance
jester108

Con

well...i would have to agree with you that education makes a big difrence in life and how you do things however when you stated " American's have a strong sense of what is right and what is wrong. Strong education and strong morals are what have created the most successful Americans" i was also wanted to point out that the enviroment you grow up in also helps deturmen what you do with your life.
the nice things about being an american is this i have the right not to stand up for the pledge of allegance which i dont. i have the right to choose to say what i want about the government. i have the right to not be qoute un quote patriotic.
so these kids who you call sefish and dont give anything to there country or have no sense of right or wrong i have to put down my foot sir and say they are just exercising there belefes and rights that they have under the constutuion as they see them for there life
Mike418

Pro

Mike418 forfeited this round.
jester108

Con

the youth of today may from the other peoples view not give anything back or if they do little, however the youth are going to have to live with there choices if they get pregnat they will have to live with that, if they are spoiled they will have to learn to work when they are old enough to live on there own, if they want to get a ipod or somthing after they move out then they will have to buy it on ther own
Mike418

Pro

Mike418 forfeited this round.
jester108

Con

jester108 forfeited this round.
Posted by Chuckles 9 years ago
Chuckles
hooray for being lazyass punks! I am lazy, vulgar, immature (though not as bad as my friends) and everything else mentioned. That does not mean i am being "un-American". I don't really get a whole lot from my parents but a ton of religious crap i don't believe and whining about how we talk. MTV is the dumbest channel on earth, i think i'd rather watch infomercials.
Posted by clsmooth 9 years ago
clsmooth
Why should the youth "give back"? What did they take? It is the elderly who have taken, preemptively, from the young. The young owe NOTHING to the welfarist parasites who have stiffed them and left them the bill.
Posted by zarul 9 years ago
zarul
Pro has forfeited more rounds, should be con win.
Posted by LDer09 9 years ago
LDer09
Mike your 2 debates were good. I know you were not talking about all teens who are like that but just so you know I am not selfish and I don't get everything I want. I do know some pro's and con's about the Iraq War. I do know about the presidential campaigns and runners. I know who I like and why. I do not go for someone because of skin color and or sex. I do not watch MTV because the constant conversation of sex drugs and money does not interest me. I may be one of a few teenagers that wants a better education in their high school and I am fighting for it. You should not forfeit because it just looks bad. You need to elaborate on your points. But you are better than jester.
Jester your arguments are flawed. You do not bring really anything new to the table. You say teens are just exercising their beliefs and rights I disagree. I think they are probably being lazy and or following the crowd. It does not matter that you are a punk. No one cares. Elaborate on your flawed arguments and bring something new to the table. I feel like you dumbed it down a lot and its annoying. Learn how to spell and or use spell check. Your spelling was distracting. But overall good job both of you.
Posted by mmadderom 9 years ago
mmadderom
Mike, your arguments are spot on but you haven't addressed the causation beyond "MTV". It is this generation of parents, first and foremost, who are responsible for the attitudes of todays teens through their own lack of responsibility when it comes to raising their children. There are many reasons for this beyond just not caring that I think would make for a more interesting debate.
Vote Placed by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
Mike418jester108Tied
Vote Placed by libertyforall 9 years ago
libertyforall
Mike418jester108Tied
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
Mike418jester108Tied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
Mike418jester108Tied
Vote Placed by tjzimmer 9 years ago
tjzimmer
Mike418jester108Tied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
Mike418jester108Tied
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
Mike418jester108Tied
Vote Placed by mynameisjonas 9 years ago
mynameisjonas
Mike418jester108Tied
Vote Placed by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
Mike418jester108Tied
Vote Placed by disputation 9 years ago
disputation
Mike418jester108Tied