Olhando
cobiader

The youth should be more involved in Politics, the Community, and World Order.

Olhando

Pro

First off, I would like everyone to vote on the debate, not on my topic. Presumably, I have the favorable stance, greater education. TThough that does not mean Con will not bring a logical argument, thank you and thank you to my future opponent for taking this on.

Secondly, let me define my topic.

"The youth should be more involved in Politics, the Community, and World Order."

The Youth = High school - 25, why? because once students enter high school they are not only becoming of age physically, but are more so becoming of age mentally, developing individual ideas or at least reasoning for their beliefs.

Politics = in regards to America, including voting at local/national polls (for +18) and being educated in what is being presented on a bill if under the voting age.

The Community = Not only being involved with volunteer work (I understand I said volunteer, remember this is not mandatory, we should just encourage it), but with extracurricular activities in school. This can include study groups, after school activates, outside school clubs. <-- (Again, encouraging the youth that being involved in society is not only beneficial for them socially and psychologically, but beneficial to society by helping the under privileged and disabled)

World Order = Educate the youth on what is happening to their counterparts in distant and near countries. This coincides with the community - having programs set up where children and parents can meet, socialize, and discuss important topics in their community and world. This could entail sending care packages to underprivileged schoolchildren in Africa.

1- Our average age of voters in America is 37. 42 percent of 18-24 yr olds reported voting in 2004, compared with 32 percent in both 1996 and 2000. There is a trend upwards; perhaps this can be attributed to the unpopularity of the Bush Campaign. Then again, 50 percent of young adults ages 18 to 24 voted in the 1972 presidential election.

2- There is a natural flux to everything, and a margin of error, regardless, the point and plan of my debate is to increase these percents up a quarter or more, how so you ask?

3- Flobots, a Colorado based band has encouraged youth awareness in Political activism and the community. Thus, music is an outlet of information and change. The more people that are aware of world issues, whether through a band playing at schools or schools getting involved with what happens at home, the greater the chance they are to vote, become politically aware, and have more positive influence on their community.

4- In conclusion to round 1, I have this to clarify. The most important this to recognize in my stance is this, because we CANNOT control what people do, we have to take the same road as psychologist performing hypnosis. Suggestion, and better yet, being up front and having people make their own decisions.

There is a disconnect in America, every one of my friends sit and play games like Halo 3 and World of Warcraft, oblivious to the world and its dynamics. Right now someone is nagging me to 'Log On'.

Why is this? Games are fun, we have been told this, we tell people this, thus its true. Well, subjectively... (that's why I love debating there is always that exception.)

My point is this: encourage reading a newspaper, or a news column online. Doesn't sound like fun, so we MUST get the youth to be able to relate to it. Take to the street with the same tactics of media, show them the TRUE sex/violence/ and drugs cases. What it really does to people, how people that are unable to change their government can be helplessly slaughtered as a warning to others.

Thanks for reading,

Regardless of who votes pro or con, everyone on this site has taken the first step. We need to bind our nation, we have our tools, we have our mission. Let us enlighten each other, end animosity, and help the weak, sick, and lonely fellow man.
cobiader

Con

You definitely have the upper hand. Your side is much easier to debate.

However, I'm going to take a more artistic side and argue that individuals, should be just that, individuals.

Humanity has been conforming to the establishment since it was put in place. I'm not saying we shouldn't have order, because we should, but we should encourage thinking outside of the box opposed to submitting to the general population. I think one can still be a good citizen and contribute to society without being involved with politics, world order, or volunteer work (and I say volunteer work because I think being involved with the community is a given unless somebody is mentally antisocial).

Define what you mean by being more involved with the community.
Olhando

Pro

Hello and Welcome!

My opponent argues this: "...individuals, should be just that, individuals." and furthermore, "Humanity has been conforming to the establishment since it was put in place. I think one can still be a good citizen and contribute to society without being involved with politics, world order, or volunteer work."

- Although this is a good arguement, it doesn't nescessarily answer mine. "My point is this: encourage reading a newspaper, or a news column online. Doesn't sound like fun, so we MUST get the youth to be able to relate to it. Take to the street with the same tactics of media, show them the TRUE sex/violence/ and drugs cases. What it really does to people, how people that are unable to change their government can be helplessly slaughtered as a warning to others."

In my debate I do not intend to have comformity, in fact, its quite the opposite. I contend that we increase AWARENESS, hence, allow for more open thought. By having people in a community, school, club, etc, be aware of whats happening, they can contribute their own, individual, ideas to a solution. Plus look at it like this, when with a group of friend you feel comfortable to speak your mind. Your friends and you can argue, refine you ideas, or change you p.o.v based on the outcome. This is what i am encouraging, a great many of small 'individual groups' pumping out ideas.

All in all I completly agree with Con in the argument 'Humanity has been conforming to the establishment since it was put in place.' Yes, we must stop this! As I stated, more people are activly involved of world of warcraft then what is happening in Darfur!

With my stance, I intend the community will help with this, which leads me to this question of con's: "Define what you mean by being more involved with the community."

I urge him to look to my definition, hehe, "The Community = Not only being involved with volunteer work....but with extracurricular activities in school. This can include STUDY GROUPS, AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES, OUTSIDE [of] SCHOOL CLUBS. <-- (Again, encouraging the youth that being involved in society is not only beneficial for them socially and psychologically, but beneficial to society by helping the under privileged and disabled)"

What I plan to see with this is that if more people become aware of whats going on, more are likely to help solve the problems and possible PREVENT future mishaps the kind.

To restate myself -

1- 'individuals, should be just that, individuals.' As Con stated it is the more artistic avenue, one that clubs and community involvment highly stress.

2- Also in response to that, I state this: To truly become an individual you must first recognize your own beliefs and rationalize them coherently. Only YOU know when you disagree with something, its our conscience. By increasing awareness, we are increseing the spectrum of human consciousness, thus increasing individuality.

3- ' i think one can still be a good citizen and contribute to society without being involved with politics...'. Again I agree, I am not debating that you aren't good or aren't contributing if you are unaware, my point is that if more poeple are MORE aware, we will truly have a 'better' society because solutions will be on peoples minds + more will be activly involved in finding ways to contribute.

In conclusion to this round, I urge Con to look at my case in this way... The youth should be more involved in 1,2, and 3, because it betters our world.

I think that stance is a little bit more debatable.
cobiader

Con

This is my first debate and I'm still trying to figure out the strategy of directing my thoughts towards voters. Here's a shot:

"My point is this: encourage reading a newspaper, or a news column online. Doesn't sound like fun, so we MUST get the youth to be able to relate to it."

This is an extremely broad argument on Pros part, and quite the opposite on mine. However, I feel like despite the amount of awareness one may have on any issue, at this point we believe what has been put in front of our face. Pro is saying that after our youth has been put through the system for 12 years, they are then capable of making there own decision. How so? In Kindergarten we are taught to stand in line and obey our teachers. We are never encouraged to think outside of the box; never encouraged to simply be natural and do what we feel like doing, think what we feel like thinking. The government puts text books in our schools. Independent thinking is quite the opposite of joining a church, volunteering, joining a school club, contributing money to the poor, etc., but at this point, it is impossible to achieve.

Let me explain:
Pro says at the age of 15, we are starting to become mentally independent, if you will. But once again, that is because our society allows us to become independent at this time, we are allowed to drive at 15, soon to get an actual license, soon to be considered a "legal" adult, and be responsible enough to drink alcohol soon after that. It's a fact that we, as human beings, make more connections in our brain before we can walk than any other time. As soon as that phase is over, we're stuck in an institution.

Pro argues that by increasing awareness, we will increase voting, and by doing so what will we achieve? We will be able to change our government, in to what? Either way we are educating our youth based on the conformity the rest of us have bought in to.

"Take to the street with the same tactics of media, show them the TRUE drugs cases."

I'm glad pro mentioned drugs. What are these apparently TRUE cases though? I'm assuming you are taking a negative stance against drugs because they are "cases." The most creative thoughts this world has ever seen has come from drugs and an "out of body" experience. The entire hippie sub-culture was tripping and some of the most creative and peaceful thoughts were directed at the government through music. I hate to condone the use of drugs, but I guess that is exactly what I'm doing. If drugs are used as a source of creativity and enlightenment we can escape the reality of our conformed universe and truly discover our beliefs. I'm not saying that is the only way to achieve independent thoughts either, I'm simply stating that being more involved in a systematic group of politics to achieve a better understanding of world order is not the basis for independent thinking, and therefore isn't important.

Pros debate topic is, "the youth should be more involved with politics, community, and world order." I'm simply saying that it is not a necessity.

The key word here is SHOULD, which implies that being more involved is the CORRECT thing to do. Who determines what is right and wrong? Our culture, not the individual, and by buying in to propaganda the institution has thrown in our face, we are teaching our youth quite the opposite of his argument.
Olhando

Pro

Wonderful! I hope I am an appropriate foe.

Many remarks in Con's rebuttle were a little off the target. Allow me to explain...

"This is an extremely broad argument on Pros part..." - Yes, yes it is. As I have stated many times before, the purpose and point behind my thesis is to get the youth out there, exposed to whats happening. No need to specify go to the NY Times or Wallstreet Journal, in fact, that'd be worse because we would be limiting them!

He later went to say, "...at this point we believe what has been put in front of our face. Pro is saying that after our youth has been put through the system for 12 years, they are then capable of making there own decision. How so? In Kindergarten we are taught to stand in line and obey our teachers. We are never encouraged to think outside of the box; never encouraged to simply be natural and do what we feel like doing, think what we feel like thinking. The government puts text books in our schools."

First off, "...we only believe what has been put in front of our face." I'm afraid con is wrong in his assumption here. Its human nature to question things. Additionally, this is why my topic is so important, because we have had a bunch of useless information put into us.

"Independent thinking is quite the opposite of joining a church.." I AGREE!! Wow its a good thing I didnt say church! Lol, but seriously. I never said a religious organization. Obviously institutions press forward a direction of thinking.

"..volunteering, joining a school club, contributing money to the poor, etc." I could not disagree anymore... Most school clubs, (Future Problem Solvers of the World, the Enviromental Club, Dance) all press forward another way of looking at things. FPSoftheW has students analyzing topics in their community and world, just what I am saying people need to get involved in, The Enviromental Club obviously teachs the importance of Earth and its properties, Dance even teachs people the creativity of music and physical motion.

"... but at this point, it is impossible to achieve." - Above all, this is the worst arugment made by Con in the last round. Independent thinking is NOT impossible to achieve! He suggests we are ALL brainwashed. Yet we all are speaking about different solutions and consciously aware of it?

His explaination.....

"Pro says at the age of 15, we are starting to become mentally independent, if you will" - No no no, not mentally independent, but mental able to process a situation and to independently have a thought of whats right and wrong.

"our society allows us to become independent at this time....It's a fact that we, as human beings, make more connections in our brain before we can walk than any other time. As soon as that phase is over, we're stuck in an institution."
> Our society doesnt allow to become independent until we are 18... Though you are right, society RECOGNIZES we are mentally able to handle driving, soon voting, and alcohol. I agree with society, this is why we should educate out youth evenmore than what it is now!
>Just because we make more mental connections does NOT mean we are brain dead all of our life, I have changed my beliefs more in the past 4 years then I have my entire life and I'm 18.

"Pro argues that by increasing awareness, we will increase voting, and by doing so what will we achieve? We will be able to change our government, in to what? Either way we are educating our youth based on the conformity the rest of us have bought in to."
-Ummm.. I plan to achieve a greater America. I plan to achieve a place where peoples voices can actually be heard because they realize they have one. We can change our government into what ever we want, into the RIGHT thing, NOT saying theres something horribly wrong with it, but we can always better ourselves. By telling the youth to think freely we are not having them buy into conformity.

"I'm glad pro mentioned drugs. What are these apparently TRUE cases though? I'm assuming you are taking a negative stance against drugs because they are "cases.""
- You've in fact just answered your own question. The REAL drug stories include both the ones of Jimi Hendrix and the Police reports on the people killed during drug smuggling from Cuba.
I do disagree with use of some drugs, but not all. The band I had mentioned says "Drop the debt, and Legalize Weed", and I agree! I just wanted everyone to know the good the bad and the ugly.

"...I'm simply saying that it is not a necessity. "
- As earlier stated, less then 50% of the youth, 18-24, vote. Thats a failure of our system cobiader. It is a necessity, and I am dumbfounded why no one has taken action.

"The key word here is SHOULD, which implies that being more involved is the CORRECT thing to do. Who determines what is right and wrong? Our culture, not the individual, and by buying in to propaganda the institution has thrown in our face, we are teaching our youth quite the opposite of his argument."

- As of now, I am saying the correct thing to do is have the youth more involved. I have provided my reasons, poor voting percent, a disconnect on world news. He later says our culture determines it, I disagree, perhaps our society (making laws etc), and yes, if we live by our culture, adopting its beliefs and traditions.

Though this is why I argue my point. People of all cultures should be aware, allowed to have a chance to think outside the box. Information should not be limited to the lucky. The individual has a voice, and can change a society or culture, free will is in all of us.

Which is why this wouldnt get voting to 100%, but it would increase it nonetheless. Achieving this: a better system or all of us to live by, more voices can be considered, more solutions presented.
Thanks for the debate cobiader!

-Olhando
cobiader

Con

Ok, I can think it up, but putting it on paper is a little different. I'm going to try and be as clear as possible.

Basically, conformity is exactly what pro is asking of our youth. By saying that our youth should do something plays in to the entire concept. He obviously has been pulled towards being more involved. Others, have chosen to smoke weed all day, enjoy nature, and not have anything to do with the government. Either way is fine! different strokes for different folks. There is no, "he should or she shouldn't." Whatever they are doing, right now, is working for them! So you can't prove anything to be the correct way of doing something, it is only their way of doing it.

Pro's overall argument is that our youth SHOULD be more involved, which suggests that being involved in the community, politics, and world order is the CORRECT path for our youth.

The statement is flawed, who is to say what is right and wrong? History shows us that radical thinking has revolutionized societies thinking. So I will speak of being radical as a positive for the remainder. Radical thinking doesn't come from reading books or online articles, or our conformed community. Radical thinking comes from experience. Completely original ideas didn't come from our schools encouragement, or our community. In fact, most great poets, dropped out of college because of just that, they didn't want to conform to the institution. Guess what? most of their work was considered radical. Now, considered revolutionary ideas. They had original ideas because they were original, not because they got more involved. Pro says read a book, join a group, I say that would be buying in to conformity even more. I think our youth should be aware of conformity, travel the world, experience what our schools are teaching them, and make their own conclusions. Don't mistake that for being involved, individual activity does not mean we are more involved with others, our community, our state, our nation, our world; simply ourselves.

If the debate topic were, "being more involved in politics, community, and world order will probably have a positive impact on the overall quality of our institution," hands down, you would have won the debate. But there is no CORRECT thing to do. What is correct now wasn't correct a hundred years ago and won't be correct a hundred years from now. The youth SHOULD have a mind of there own, which they do, and right now, they are saying they don't want to vote. Guaranteed, that if this country gets bad off enough, people will step up, and get more involved with our government, just as history has proven them to do.

Voters, it's easy to vote on the topic of the argument and his side is obviously more favorable. However, he has not proven that being more involved is the CORRECT thing to do, because it can not be proven. Right and wrong are not concrete words but change with time and geographic location. He has simply given examples on why he thinks our youth should be more involved.

I say our determination of right and wrong is, overall, conformity. Therefore, SHOULD and SHOULD NOTS are only a part of our current societies beliefs. IT IS NOT CONCRETE, and therefore can not be proven. I'm not saying that youth being more involved won't be for our institutions best interest, or even for their best interest. I'm simply saying that the topic of his choice implies that being involved is correct, which can not be true. There is no correct way of doing one thing.

Let me point out to you, voters, that I have not disproven his theory on improving our government. I think that voting is important. I'm simply disproving the SHOULD, in the title. There are many ways our youth can gain awareness of our world without reading a book, or joining a school group. So there isn't a CORRECT way for our youth to become aware. Getting them to relate is a great idea, but there are ways other than what Pro has mentioned, which proves that being involved isn't the CORRECT way, it is only a way.
Posted by NickyB 5 years ago
NickyB
Children need time to be children. They learn enough in schools that shoving all the aforementioned principles down their throats would give them no time to develop the necessary social skills that help them later in life. By the time they become adults, the economy will be so changed that the ideas they learned as children would be completely irrelevant from the present.
Posted by Leftymorgan 5 years ago
Leftymorgan
I understand the stance that Cobiader is making, but you can educated the young people and they can still make an independent choice. My view is that "IF YOU DON'T VOTE DON'T BITCH". I hear a lot of people complain about this law or ordinance and then find out they didn't bother to vote. Well the person that opposes your view did and now he has somebody he/she believes will take away that right or privilege. You make think or believe that politicians lie or cheat or whatever, but they do write the laws that we have to live by. So my sitting by and doing nothing you say that what ever I do is okay by me, when it isn't.
Posted by Olhando 6 years ago
Olhando
Where are the votes at people!
Posted by cobiader 6 years ago
cobiader
sounds good...see you next time.
Posted by Olhando 6 years ago
Olhando
Yea definataly! I was happy I wasnt in yuor shoes! Lol It was fun though!

"But the second I find out that somebody is voting because of looks or pronunciation of a name, I'm packing up and going sailing for four years. "

Well, get your gear! and Ill bring mine too because I talk to many, MANY, friends of mine and they are all mindless to what is actually going on between the polices of Obama and McCain.
Heres a quote... "I'll vote for him because he's black and looks strong."
And no, not strong politically, but strong in physical features.. lol..

Yea you did a great job! We should debate again sometime, in fact expect to see a challenge from me one of these days! hehe
Posted by cobiader 6 years ago
cobiader
well first of all...I agree with your side, I was simply debating to debate. Plus it was a challenging topic to pursuade on my part.

none of your con arguments would have worked because at this point, the age of 18, they have been taught everything the institution wants them to learn which is more than the average person already. Voting is already a popularity contest, that is the point of a democracy. But the second I find out that somebody is voting because of looks or pronunciation of a name, I'm packing up and going sailing for four years.

your right, anybody can use my debate on any subject. It was basically the only angle I had. Of course the youth should be more involved! but I wasn't trying to prove that they shouldn't, just trying to disprove that they should.

It was a fun, and challenging topic for my first debate.
Posted by Olhando 6 years ago
Olhando
Interesting last round.. I still think your missing the point..
Conforming to Unconformity is not conforming (haha wrestle with that concept). I proved this SHOULD be happening because, just like you said, someone in history has to realize to take action. And a less then half voting percent is not "passing" by our standards.

Con: I would have argued this..

1. The youth are to immature to handle much in politics. (knowing peoples backgrounds, feelings over particular issues)
2. Voting can easily become a popularity contest, who looks better, what name can you pronounce.
3. All this is UNINTERESTING, therefor, it wont work!

Your argument is one that any Con on Debate.org can use in a debate: we cannot prove what we all SHOULD do.
You didn't nescessarily why we shouldn't do this, in fact, You used examples on how people can be creative outside the institution, EXCATLY what I am pressing for.

Overall, thanks for the debate. Though I feel like you think I am generalizing all this, which is why I stated, this isnt going to work for everyone. My point was that it will nonetheless increase something positivly, <- which you did not prove wrong.
Posted by Olhando 6 years ago
Olhando
Many thanks Protagoras!

See you on the battlefield.
Posted by DucoNihilum 6 years ago
DucoNihilum
If you get me time off from work and school enough to form a whole debate thats great.
Posted by Protagoras 6 years ago
Protagoras
I am very tired of watching this debate sit here. For that reason, I am formulating a critique...

:)
Vote Placed by atheistman 5 years ago
atheistman
OlhandocobiaderTied
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 5 years ago
theitalianstallion
OlhandocobiaderTied
Vote Placed by NickyB 5 years ago
NickyB
OlhandocobiaderTied
Vote Placed by Leftymorgan 5 years ago
Leftymorgan
OlhandocobiaderTied
Vote Placed by Jenova 6 years ago
Jenova
OlhandocobiaderTied
Vote Placed by Recolada 6 years ago
Recolada
OlhandocobiaderTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 6 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
OlhandocobiaderTied
Vote Placed by Josh 6 years ago
Josh
OlhandocobiaderTied
Vote Placed by cobiader 6 years ago
cobiader
OlhandocobiaderTied
Vote Placed by Olhando 6 years ago
Olhando
OlhandocobiaderTied