FunkeeMonk91
Toored

Thee FCC Violates the 1st Amendment

FunkeeMonk91

Pro

The FCC is, not only unnecessary, but harmful to America. First of all, it disregards the 1st Amendment, my favorite of all the amendments. I think that people have a right to write, film, or play music about anything they want, with out interference from people like the FCC (I'm not saying that it's ok to show porn during prime time television). I'm just against the idea of a government agency controlling the media. Is it really necessary to bleep out things like the "Dick in a Box" sketch from SNL or censor images of Muhammad on South Park? If you don't want to watch something don't; no one is forcing you or your children to watch/listen to "explicit" material.
Toored

Con

I agree that the FCC does some things that impede on the artistic quality of television programming. However, the FCC is important because it oversees various corporations. This is no longer the age of laissez faire.

The FCC isn't just around to regulate content. The Federal Regulators of the FCC enforce anti monopoly laws to make sure that we don't end up with media barons like William Randolph Hearst who owned over 40 percent of the media in the nation. They see if it is in the public interest to allow men like Sam Zell and Rupert Murdoch to own multiple news outlets in a single city.

The FCC is responsible for rules and policies concerning telephone companies that provide interstate, and under certain circumstances intrastate, telecommunications services to the public through the use of wire-based transmission facilities. In the 1970's the FCC was responsible for allowing competition in the telephone market which contributed to the eventual break up of the AT&T Pacific Bell monopoly.

The Wireless Telecommunications office of the FCC regulates the use of radio spectrum to fulfill the communications needs of businesses, aircraft and ship operators, and individuals.

Much like the ICC (Interstate Commerce Commission) the FCC is around mainly to keep corporate giants in check and on the subject of corporate giants, you make it sound as if the parent companies of film and television studios don't censor stuff as well to suit their own agenda.

The FCC as a whole is not unconstitutional. If you were to say that some of it's actions are unconstitutional then maybe I would be forced to reconsider but as a whole the FCC is not unconstitutional.
FunkeeMonk91

Pro

Hi Toored,

You have very good arguments, but they didn't address the topic. I'll admit that my first sentence might have been misleading, but I am debating over whether FCC censorship is justified, and whether their control over media content violates the first amendment.

So, if you would like, post another argument, or if you want that 1st round back, you can start another debate and send me the challenge.
Toored

Con

Sorry about that. I prepared another debate about the virtues of the FCC but to challenge you we need to finish this debate. Would you mind deleting it as to not mess with our win ratios. Then I can send you the challenge.
FunkeeMonk91

Pro

I don't think you can delete whole debates. I guess we just have to hope no one votes on this one. Send me the challenge whenever you're ready.

DO NOT VOTE ON THIS DEBATE!!!!
Toored

Con

Mmmmm, it says we need to finish this debate before I can challenge you again. I am with you, lets hope no one votes. Once you finish off the last round I can challenge you.
Posted by Toored 9 years ago
Toored
With due respect both the pro and con requested that no one vote on this debate. Since people obviously disregarded that request it would be great if someone would vote for me to tie this debate.
Posted by malaki 9 years ago
malaki
The point con made on its first response was FCC prevents media mogols, if that is true its not doing a very good job considering world wide there are only 6 major media organizations
Posted by artC 9 years ago
artC
I think you're both right, althought I think there should be no law preventing anyone from watching porn and it shoud be shown during prime time.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
Republican,

Well, porn is illegal to view unless you are over 18. I was just emphasizing that of course there have to be regulations. But those regulations should be controlled by individual broadcating stations and not a federal agency.

And the South Park thing was legit. Comedy Central didn't want to f**k around so they censored it.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
I'm assuming people shouldn't be voting on this round.
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
Not showing porn is really the FCCs big job and reason for being around........if you don't want ur kids wtchin porn in primetime then u should want the FCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
Funkee you argue against urself when you say..."I'm not saying that it's ok to show porn during prime time television" and that muhammed think on south park was not real...it was a attack on our goverment like many south park episodes are.
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 7 years ago
pcmbrown
FunkeeMonk91TooredTied
Vote Placed by malaki 9 years ago
malaki
FunkeeMonk91TooredTied
Vote Placed by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
FunkeeMonk91TooredTied
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
FunkeeMonk91TooredTied
Vote Placed by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
FunkeeMonk91TooredTied
Vote Placed by RMK 9 years ago
RMK
FunkeeMonk91TooredTied
Vote Placed by Toored 9 years ago
Toored
FunkeeMonk91TooredTied