CosmoJarvis
I_Go_RAWR

Theism- A lost reality! A hopeless, helpless cause!

I_Go_RAWR has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

CosmoJarvis

Pro

What a lonely state to find oneself! Attend me brothers and sisters, hear the plight of those to whom all pity is to be given. This is a people, without hope? Without truth, Without science? Without common sense? With no visible nor foreseeable lifeline whatsoever! More is the pity, let our hearts be humbled for so too were we all, once upon a time. Let us turn our eyes to logic in utter thanks to Albert Einstein who saves. Let us stand encircled around the damned and cast our lines into the tank of hopelessness which is the Life of Faith, and Bill Nye willing let us snatch up and set the hook of reason, in a final attempt to shake them loose from their long slumber.

To you who accept this debate, you shall defend that which cannot "be" defended, the lunacy which is theism. I of course shall demonstrate and define your madness.

If all goes as usual I shall lose this debate because the doomed will as history has shown, fail again to ascend to the elusive state of reason, choosing instead to "remain in their comatose state" still, if I can awaken even 1, the loss is well worth it.

This is a joke about FollowerofChrist's debates on "Atheism- a lost cause!" However, I do intend to make this debate that will argue how theists are so certain of a God or Gods. Con will argue for the validity of a specific religion and provide evidence towards their claims, while I will try to disprove those religious beliefs.

Rules:
1) Use proper grammar and sentence structure. Please look over your arguments before posting them to make sure that you didn't accidentally make a grammatical mistake or use malapropism.
2) Do not troll or use insults as your argument.
3) Support quantitative and qualitative data with valid sources.

Rounds:
R1: Acceptance
R2: Main Arguments
R3: Rebuttals (No new arguments)
I_Go_RAWR

Con

Normally I would refuse to include myself in debates with someone I do not know on religion, especially over the internet where many believe that 'anonymity is invulnerability'. However since my opponent does not seem to be aggressive towards the concept of religion(s) I would be pleased to have a rational discussion with you, CosmoJarvis. I look forward to this greatly!

I know that while you did not request/require it, I figure it would be kind of me to at least give minor insight into my personal belief, so you will not be going into this blind, per se.
I consider myself as a Follower of Christ. The more common, well-known name being Church of Christ.
I believe in the God-Head-Three. This meaning, (God) the Father, (Christ) the Son, and the Holy Spirit (Ghost as some translators may have) being separate, but unified.
I believe the Bible is God's inspired word and that it is all we have, or need, to do what He asks of us.

These are the most important topics that come to mind currently.

Good luck and let's begin!
CosmoJarvis

Pro

Outline:
I. Introduction

II. The Validity of the Bible
III. Sources

I. Introduction

Ah. I never actually thought this would turn into a mature debate, but I'll gladly go through with it. I suppose I'll discuss my opinion on religions, and more specifically, criticize the validity of the Bible.

At a young age, I was taught to believe in God and the Bible in and the teachings of Jesus. I actually thought that the moon and its glow was God (in my defense, I was a pretty stupid kid), because how else could I explain a large mass floating through the sky, with bright slivers of its light escaping into my room? I used to pray to God for most nights, whether it was to do well on the test that I didn't study for or to protect my family. But I grew older and began to see things from a different perspective. I strayed from "the path of God," and saw things in a more rational way, applying logic, math, and science to explain things that I didn't entirely understand, rather than God.

I believe that religions were created because, in the absence of modern science or the application of logic to explain things that were not understood, people flocked towards religion and the belief that divine spirits controlled the world: the weather, the success of one's farming crops, who lived or died and how the world and all humans were created.

II. The Validity of the Bible

To reinforce my point that religions were created as a result of people who could not explain their environment any other way, I would like to explain how the Bible, a very well-known and beloved book to millions, contains many fallacies.

The Bible is used to explain man's origins and the world. However, these tales of living, breathing human beings being formed from clay or a fragment of a person's bone, a suggestion that alchemy is plausible, or the belief that the world is a meager six thousand years old as opposed to four billion years, when put into perspective, does seem "off."

For example, the story of Noah's Ark is downright illogical. According to the Bible, he, his two sons, and his wife managed to make a boat capable of housing two of every creature on this Earth. It would be an estimated around 510 feet long and 51 feet tall capable of sailing for around 150 days (S1). This also means that Noah would have to travel all over the world to acquire two of each animal. The voyages to successfully retrieve every animal on this world would take lifetimes.

Another example of the Bible's inaccuracies is the claim that the Earth is relatively six thousand years old. However, trees such as the Old Tjikko have surpassed six thousand years. It's estimated to be approximately 9,550 years old (S2). This fact alone should put to rest that the Bible can make accurate statements on the world.

Bill Nye, a prominent atheist speaker, bashed the Biblical belief of Earth being 6,000 years old in a debate against Ken Ham, saying "My scientific colleagues go to places like Greenland, the Arctic, they go to Antarctica and they drill into the ice with hollow drill bits; it's not that extraordinary, and many have probably done it yourselves, like with hole saws to put locks in doors, for example. And we pull out long cylinders of ice, long ice rods. And these are made of snow and ice. It's called snow ice. Snow ice forms over the winter, and snow flakes fall, and are crushed down by subsequent layers. They're crushed together, and are entrapping little bubbles. The bubbles must needs be [from] ancient atmospheres; there's nobody running around with a hypodermic needle squirting ancient atmosphere into the bubbles. And we find certain of the cylinders to have 680,000 layers. 680,000 snow winter/summer cycles. How could it be that just 4000 years ago, all of this ice formed? We can just run some numbers. Let's see we have 680,000 layers of snow ice, and 4000 years since the great flood, that means we need 170 winter/summer cycles every year. For the last 4000 years. Wouldn't someone have noticed that? Wouldn't someone have notice there's been winter/summer, winter/summer for 170 times in one year?" (S3).

III. Sources:

S1) https://answersingenesis.org......
S2) http://mentalfloss.com......
S3) http://www.youngearth.org......
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
Ah, sure, sure.
Posted by johnoregan 1 year ago
johnoregan
For thousands of years there have been people who have known God. And what happened when these people passed on the little knowledge they had? Disaster.
For example, at some point a shaman/holy man figured out that God knows the future and knows everything human beings do. Those who didn't know God assumed that everybody must have a destiny, that it must be God's will whatever happens, it's all just fate. And if you believe in a powerful God how much of a leap is it to all-powerful.
A classic case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.
Listening to debates about God is like listening to children discussing what they learned in school that day. I know ye're well meaning but ye don't have a clue.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
I just don't want to be too informal if my opponent wishes for this to be a mature argument of sorts.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
First person I think is great. It closes a lot of "getaways"...If not you can create a lot of "getaways" into "the insane" for the oponent.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
If you do not mind, I_Go_RAWR, I'm going to talk in the first person for the majority of my argument.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
It makes no sense to put theism in a relation to reality...
Posted by Verithenes 1 year ago
Verithenes
Lol, I can't wait to see which Christian doosh accepts this
Posted by Amarandum 1 year ago
Amarandum
@Masterful, how is this a bad topic? It's profoundly relevant to the world today. And it's supposed to be a joke anyway.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
Says the Samurai who spams the same ridiculous topics every other hour.
Posted by Masterful 1 year ago
Masterful
How nice would it be, if people actually debated different topics. Instead all I see is the same s.h.i.t everywhere.