ScottyDouglas
bp_1138

Theism is more beneficial than atheism

ScottyDouglas

ScottyDouglas

Pro

I challenge you!Lets debate.

Resolution: Theism has more benefit than atheism.
Beneficial meaning in the debate: Producing or promoting a favorable result; Law Receiving or having the right to receive proceeds or other advantages

Rules:
1. Debate must stay repsectful.
2. Witty responses will be tolerated.
3. Must stay on topic.
4. Resources must be provided.

Rounds:
1. Approval/Con may provide arguement if so desires.
2. Arguement/Rebuttal
3. Rebuttal
4. Rebuttal
5. Conclusion
bp_1138

Con

I accept your challenge, and wish you good luck.....
ScottyDouglas

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I wish him Good luck!

In this debate We have the definition of Beneficial as: Producing or promoting a favorable result; Law Receiving or having the right to receive proceeds or other advantages.

A: Summary about theism and atheism#

Theism is the sole belief of atleast one God and the opposite is atheism which believes in no God. Im sure that atheism did not start recently and in fact has always been around. There has always been people who had no belief in God or rather denile of a God. When the existence of atheism is accepted, it is often criticized by agnostics, and some theists, on the grounds that atheism requires just as much faith as religious positions, making it no more likely to be true than theism. So this discussion is solely about, who holds the most beneficial quality, atheism or theism? I will contend that theism has had the most beneficial results than atheism.

B: Contentions for Theism#

Contention I: Benefit of inner Spirituality- Tools to explore inner self. A way of finding peace and joy. Having a personnel connection with God. To exsperience Him through your life. I think our connection with God is were we find true love and peace.

Contention II: Benefit of Receiving Virtuous attributes from scripture-LAW- Learning through our own scriptures rights to develop proper conduct with our neighbers. Getting a strength to know and act with the difference of knowing between right and wrong.

Contention III: Benefit to communicate- The gathering of the religious is a well-known tradition in any dinomination. This gathering gives many ways to socialize and dicussion about thier beliefs amoungst themselves and against others.

Contention IV: Benefitical quality to give in Charity- The giving of incouragement to be giving and loving. Acts of charity have been a staple of many doctrine in religion.

Contention V: Benefit of higher knowledge- To anyone trying to gain knowledge into properly understanding the past and present and the future. The offer knowing of how the life of man came to be.

Contention VI: Benefit of a Afterlife- The offer of gaining eternal life or the promise of being after this one. This leads to being more comforted about life and death.

Contention VII: Benefit in the Assurity of God- The spiritual connection with God Himself. The unlimited blessing that God can and could bestow upon the believer.

C: Contentions against Atheism being non-beneficial#

Contention I: Lack of Respect- Total lack of repsect for the thousands of years of recorded belief in God. This also in the face of recent scientific advancements that calculate otherwise. How can a man be surely confident in these mechanisms? Until recently, most theologians considered the existence of God so self-evident and universally-accepted that the question of whether or not true atheism even existed was frequently disputed. This view is based on theistic innatism, the belief that all people believe in God from birth and that atheists are simply in denial.

Contention II: Secular religion- Atheism has been criticized as a faith in itself, with some defining it as a belief in its own right, with a certainty about the falseness of religious beliefs that is comparable to the certainty about the unknown that is practiced by religions themselves. The doctrine or belief that there is no God.

Contention III: Lack of Virtue, Sense of morality, and ethics- Lastly, it is commonly argued that the lack of belief in a deity who administers justice may lead to poor morals or ethics (cf. secular ethics. It is also argued that atheism makes life meaningless and miserable.

Contention IV: Desire to be one's own God- The Catholic philosopher Blaise Pascal in his Pens´┐Żes expressed his opinion that "Atheism shows strength of mind, but only to a certain degree" and goes on to criticize atheists for not seeking out the truth and seeing the signs of God's will. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion towards one own self. According to proponents of this view, atheists are quick to believe in God in times of crisis—that atheists will readily make deathbed conversions or that "there are no atheists in foxholes".

Contention V: Changing set laws and times- Rebellious against the standards put in place that has made us what we are. Questionable ethicicial standards? Why? And how come? And what makes that right, I ask my opponent? If one would disreguard what has been established previously what prevents them from also disreguarding anything else? Attempt at destroying the law and statues already in place.

D: Resolution

This is leading to an all out confrontational future against believers verse non-believers, this one day could possibly come to a boiling point in the future. When one looks at history of this ultimate confrontation we see the Christian Church pioneering and plowing the way for Americans to have the freedoms such as belief. Though we the future trampling on those rights of others and disreguarding the same right for believers. Also I say in return the believers should lead by example and be spiritual to show the non-believer. In this will provide them the interest to seek God. No should down play any others belief without trying to understand why it really is they believe in that. People who do not believe they should not deny a believers ability to communicate with their God and that is vice versa. Life is about perception, many perceive things most differently than others. What you perceive is most certainly possible, so people who perceive no God there is none for them, but those who perceive God can most experience such things.

Thanks to my opponent and I turn it over to Con!

http://en.wikipedia.org... http://carm.org... http://lukenixblog.blogspot.co.uk...
http://psychology.wikia.com...
bp_1138

Con

I am very dissatisfied with this debate. My opponent has offered more than 8 unsupported contentions; this creates an issue because I was looking for a casual debate, not a line-by-line contention battle royale. So, I regret to inform you that because of your abusive form, I must forfeit this round. Thank you for you time.
ScottyDouglas

Pro

I Thank my opponent! And I apologize myself.

I wanted a strong debate about this topic and was hoping to get that. Though I have no problems reducing the arguement and allowing my oppoent to shift the debate to his views on the subject.

I give him the chance to put his input and opinion out there and tilt the debate in his favor. If he refuses i must request that all rounds be rewarded to myself.

I thank my opponent and appreciate his well respected manner.
bp_1138

Con

Thank you for understanding..
ScottyDouglas

Pro

I do understand Con and Thanks!

I would like to stretch my hand out in gratitude and admiration in your respectful qualities. They are rare, Sir!

I also give my opponent full approval to challenge me in a debate to a similiar topic by his choosing.

I think a point for conduct should go to Con on his manners.

I thank all and hope to get a good debate from this topic in the future. Thanks!
bp_1138

Con

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad to see one such as yourself, who understands where I am coming from.

Again, I apologize for not being up to the debate to begin with, as I am here for a more relaxed style of debate.

I would love to do a more serious form, but do not have the time for proper research and writing.

Thanks again.
ScottyDouglas

Pro

And I thank you again as well.

I say again feel free to debate a more relaxed topic if you so desire.

I thank you !

Please vote for whoever you feel derserves the Win!
bp_1138

Con

^ Vote for that Guy ^
Posted by Microsuck 5 years ago
Microsuck
pro, challenge me to this debate.
Posted by ScottyDouglas 5 years ago
ScottyDouglas
@Social Pinko I defined benefical.

@Orator i agree
Posted by TheOrator 5 years ago
TheOrator
Too bad it doesn't benefit spelling ;) All jokes aside, I think Christianity has done more over teh course of time than atheism, adn the only way I can see the con being argued is Atheist scientists.
Posted by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
What does benefitical mean?
Posted by ScottyDouglas 5 years ago
ScottyDouglas
Either or.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
On an individual or societal basis?
Posted by ScottyDouglas 5 years ago
ScottyDouglas
Think on it. Thanks.
Posted by dirkson 5 years ago
dirkson
I'm glad witty replies will be tolerated, or you'd have defined me right out of the debate! :D

That said, I'm not sure I actually disagree with you on this issue. Would you mind if I took a couple days to make sure I agree with you, (I might get out of it on a technicality. It will take thought.) and if I do, possibly think up some devil's advocate arguments?

Cheers,
-Dirk
Vote Placed by mecap 5 years ago
mecap
ScottyDouglasbp_1138Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Con, so I'll give the argument point to Pro.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
ScottyDouglasbp_1138Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Sadly, this debate was forfeited by Con (who I give one point of conduct to for at least continuing to participate in the debate-) despite the a) lack of definitions of theism and atheism, or correlation of the supposed aspects with its beneficial quality, or the often generalizations Pro makes, especially about the atheistic belief and its implications of life.
Vote Placed by Microsuck 5 years ago
Microsuck
ScottyDouglasbp_1138Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. Sad to see the forfeit as pro's arguments were extremely weak
Vote Placed by MouthWash 5 years ago
MouthWash
ScottyDouglasbp_1138Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.