There are more than 10 different states of matter

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

As Pro I will be arguing that there are more than 10 states of matter. My opponent will be arguing that there are less than 10 states of matter.

Debate structure

Round 1: Acceptance - please state how many states of matter you believe there are

Round 2: Main points and justifications (no rebuttals)

Round 3: Rebuttals

No trolling

No forfeiture

Failure to abide by the rules will result in all points going to the opposing side.

Good luck!

You're wrong if your referring to chemistry OR alchemy.

In chemistry, there are four states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.
In alchemy, there are also four states of matter: earth, water, air, and fire.

Unless there's some reality I am not aware of, I win this debate.

My opponent concedes in the comments but I would still like to continue this debate if possible.

states of matter are distinguished by changes in specific heat capacity, pressure and temperature. States are distinguished by a discontinuity in one of those properties: for example, raising the temperature of ice produces a clear discontinuity at 0 °C as energy goes into phase transition, instead of temperature increase.

In the 20th century, increased understanding of the more exotic properties of matter has resulted in many additional states of matter, none of which are observed in normal conditions.

The list is ordered roughly in terms of increasing energy density.

The Classical states include:

- Solid
: A solid holds a rigid shape without a container.

• Amorphous Solid: A solid in which there is no long-range order of the positions of the atoms.

• Crystalline Solid: A solid in which the constituent atoms, molecules, or ions are packed in a regularly ordered, repeating pattern.

• Plastic Crystal: A molecular solid with long-range positional order but with constituent molecules retaining rotational freedom.

• Quasicrystal: A solid in which the positions of the atoms have long-range order, but is not in a repeating pattern.

• Liquid: A mostly non-compressible fluid. Able to conform to the shape of its container but retaining a (nearly) constant volume independent of pressure.

• Liquid Crystal: Properties intermediate between liquids and crystals. Generally, able to flow like a liquid but exhibiting long-range order.

• Disordered Hyperuniformity: It behaves like a crystal and a liquid. The density of particles over large distances is the same like a crystal. It is also a liquid in the sense that at smaller distances, the particles display same physical properties in all directions.

• Gas: A compressible fluid. Not only will a gas conform to the shape of its container but it will also expand to fill the container.
  • Plasma: free charged particles, usually in equal numbers, such as ions and electrons. Unlike gases, plasmas may self-generate magnetic fields and electric currents, and respond strongly and collectively to electromagnetic forces.
  • Colloids: "in betweens", containing two or more forms of matter. Examples are shaving foam and butter.

This is already more than 10 states of matter and we haven't even begun on the modern states and the very high energy states. The bullet points aren't really working properly so I wont list all of the states of matter here since it is unneccessary. I have already provided you with over 10 states of matter.

In case my opponent is unaware I will state the dictionary definition of the states of matter:

States of Matter: In physics, a state of matter is one of the distinct forms that matter takes on. Four states of matter are observable in everyday life: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.

As I have pointed out in bold in this defintion. Just because only four states of matter are observable in everyday life this does not mean that there are only 4 states of matter. Many schools teach only the four states of matter since the rest of the states of matter will confuse children and the knowledge is not needed unless they take it as one of there higher exams. People who do not take on further science and look at the topic in depth will think that there are only four states of matter however as I have shown there are many more states of matter.

I would like to apologize for accidentally breaking the rules. With that out of the way, here are my arguments.

Pro's examples of what he/she calls "Colloids" are flawed.
Colloids: Butter is a usually a solid. Shaving cream is viscous, but would probably be classified as a liquid.

Pro provided no examples for nine out of ten of his/her ten states of matter. Also, as implied in my previous sentence, Pro only provided 10 states of matter on his list, not more. Unless he/she can prove that a certain element can have more than 10 different states of matter,his/her argument is unsubstantiated.

Your move, Pro.

My opponent has stated that I have a lack of examples. I will begin my debate by proving an example for each of the states of matter that were previously listed.

Solid: Chair

Amorphous Solid: Candy floss

Crystalline Solid: Gold

Plastic Crystal: Methane I and Ethane I [modification]

Quasicrystal:Penrose Tiling

Liquid: Water

Liquid Crystal: cell membranes

Disordered Hyperuniformity: Mud

Gas: Oxygen

Plasma: Lightning

Colloids: Shaving foam (this is neither a liquid or a solid it is a colloid, which is technically both)

My opponent has asked me to prove that a certain element can have more than 10 states of matter. I may be misinterpreting this but based on my understanding of that my opponent thinks that to prove my claim I have to give an example of an element with all of the states of matter. That is impossible. I never claimed that this could happen.

Note: I forgot to read "solid" as an example of a state of matter. I thought that Pro only had 10 examples.

What Pro is obviously thinking about is sub classifications of matter.

Amorphous solids are part of the classification of solids. The same goes for crystalline solids. Plastic Crystals are Gases (Methane is a gas).

All of Pro's examples are either solids, liquids, gases, or plasma(s)... don't really know if that's plural.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
Thanks for the debate Balacafa!
Posted by jethro_purazo 1 year ago
Pardon me if I declared myself as the JUDGE of this debate. Your topic is pretty interesting for a scientifically curious person like me.
All of your arguments makes sense in the first place.

Feel free to PM me and make me a friend of yours in
Good luck for your future debates.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
Sure, if you want. You seem experienced and i'd like a challenge.
Posted by Balacafa 1 year ago
You can still continue the debate if you want.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
sorry, I skipped over first round is acceptance. you get all points I guess.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 1 year ago
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gives over 10 states of matter from reputable sources explaining what each state is. Con simply argues that Pro needed examples. He gave them. Con's only response was that they were all solids, liquids, gasses, or plasmas of some form. But he offers no proof or reasoning behind this, rendering that argument useless--pro's arguments, with evidence, has to be favored. Con's argument that all of Pro's states of matter were sub-states should be discounted because it was made in the last round and Pro had no room to respond to it. New arguments last round are generally discarded. Pro wins.
Vote Placed by jethro_purazo 1 year ago
Who won the debate:--
Reasons for voting decision: Nice topic. First off, Pro have a point that other 'states' specified in the arguments are parts of solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. Therefore there are only 4. On the other hand, Con defended his/her side through sources. Other than that, TIED in grammar and spelling. Both have good conduct. And both of them have convincing arguments. It's a TIE.