crystalborbonus
safirm

There are no right or wrong answers in ethics

crystalborbonus

crystalborbonus

Con

I believe there are right or wrong answers in ethics. Everyone has their own different moral principles and behaviors. Some of them are not acceptable in society. Yes, you are allowed to believe whatever you want is right or wrong, but society doesn't agree. Some men think there is no problem with hitting women, but society and the legal system doesn't agree. The laws are moral based and helps a community function properly. But, deciding what is ethical is a personal process. Everyone has their own actions and the way they deal with things. Your reaction to a situation is different than someone Else's. But, your reaction may not be ethical. There is no set in stone form of personal ethics because there are different perspectives of the ones involved in an issue. If your child is acting out of line, you may think it is ethical to hit them to keep them in line. But, another parent may think that that is not ethical and will never lay a hand on their child. Ethics are a learning process. Having something happen and your reaction to it can vary every time. It is a process of trial and error because each outcome is never the same. The way you react may not be ethical, you learn from it and make more ethical actions. You need to investigate the situation to understand what the best result would be. By going through situations that moral codes arise, we learn about our ethical perspective. If my family was poor and had no money to buy food, would I steal bread from the store? I know that stealing is wrong. But, I love my family too much to have them suffer like that. That is how morals are linked to feelings. You second guess your instincts because you are overwhelmed by your feelings. Most people base their ethical standpoint on what makes them feel the best. That may seem selfish, but that is pure proof that there are wrong answers in ethics because it effects others. Their actions aren't usually the most ethical because it could have a negative effect. I could be shopping and there could be the last copy of a book that I want, but another person wants it. At the same time, we could put our hands on it and a issue would arise. The other person could just snatch it out of my hands and not care that I wanted the book too. That wouldn't be moral because your actions were based on your emotions. That is the wrong thing to do. The right thing could have been to talk about who got the book first, be a good person and just give them the book, neither of you take the book, or talk to a sales person to see if there are other copies of the book. You really can't rationalize with someone if that is their moral standpoint. It may not be the correct way to handle a situation, but that is what they feel and you can't change that. What' should be coined as ethical behavior puts no one at harm, no ones feelings are hurt, and the final result is acceptable to all involved. Even if the result requires you to sacrifices what you want. Good ethics are the foundation of a good life.
safirm

Pro

Crystal you do make some good points and I completely agree with you that there are right and wrong answers to ethics because I strongly believe in the pursuit of doing the right thing in society. You are also right about how that ethics is as decision making process in a individuals mindset. We don't know what a person is going through or what they did go through, either they were abused, abandoned, or even broke with no money. So some choices that we make, might not seem like the best solution, but as long as its not hurting or taking someone's rights away or breaking the rules that society as arranged us than those choices that might not seem so valid in one's personal opinion is understanding. Like how you brought up about steeling food or slapping a child. If you smack a child for them to learn from there mistakes then its ethical. That's how one person prefers raising there children, but abusing and hitting a child for no reason is wrong. Also I liked your idea about money. How if your poor and you steal for your own survival that is acceptable and is another ethical decision. It is breaking a law but if your life is based on it to live then obviously its moral to do so, its a necessary action. A poor person stealing for food is not hurting or taking somebody's rights away, if they were stealing a persons belonging that would be unethical. But because its for there own survival it is ethical, that is why I really liked your speech her it had great ideas to back up your claim and you provided it with amazing real life situations. I hundred percent agree with you Crystal. There are right or wrong answers in ethics, but making choices that doesn't affects others for you personal again is acceptable.
crystalborbonus

Con

I see how you see things from my perspective. We would have similar morals by the things we agree on. The part about stealing food is still not ethical because you are harming the store that requires people to buy things in order to operate. Yes survival of the fittest is important because it is linked to your own well being. That is how feelings is applied to morals. It seems moral for you to take the food from the store, but not moral to the store because they feel that it should be purchased. It isn't the stores fault that you are poor. Do you think that having morals that concern your health and well being are correct? Should people worry about themselves before others?
safirm

Pro

I think that your health and well being are the most important things in the world. People should be willing to do anything for there health. As long as your not putting others in harms way or hurting anothers person standard living. Then whatever you need to do to to stay alive and be healthly its ethically right. You then asked me about my, view on putting yourself before others. I think for that it is your own duty to take care of yourself, because know one else is going to care for you as much as you do. People should care for others but there first priority must be themselves. Cause if you don't take care of yourself than you wont be able to help others. That's the answer crystal, you must take care of yourself and put yourself first before putting others in front of you because it will tear you down as a person.
crystalborbonus

Con

I understand your view point Matt. Taking care of yourself is every important, possibly more important than anything else. Do you think that people are selfish for thinking of themselves? How do we decide what is wrong and right?
safirm

Pro

To a certain degree it is selfishness. Like doing to much for yourself and not enough for friends and loved ones is unethical and should not happen with the society that we live in today with all of the amazing resources we have. Like taking care of your health and your well being are the most important things and having a stable life. But for example, lets say you don't take care of your kids. There is no excuse, that is unmoral and some say inhuman. Its human nature to take care of your own family and provide for them and I think we can all agree on that. So yes people should put themselves first when they meet there standards of living then take care of those that also are close to them.
crystalborbonus

Con

I understand your point on taking care of your children. That is a responsibility that has to be taken seriously. The way you raise your children is based on your morals and the ethics that you believe in. By having positive morals, your child will grow the same way into a wholesome person and they will teach their children the same ways. That is a great tradition to keep. Don't you agree?
safirm

Pro

Yes because we have to show our children what is ethical and unethical. Our children are the future to our world so its important to show them what is morally right in our society. Raising our kids is by far the most important ethic there is to have ever been taught. Not only does it teach our kids right from wrong, but it makes the parents even better people when we show our kids how to function in the world and be as good as people as they can be
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 2 years ago
Seeginomikata
crystalborbonussafirmTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was the only one who posted actual arguments. Pro spent more time agreeing with Con than presenting his own materiel. This wasn't even a real debate, it was more like a politeness contest...