Atmas
o0jeannie0o

There are no useless superpowers.

Atmas

Pro

As stated, there are no useless superpowers. It is my opponents job to come up with a superpower which I cannot come up with a use for. I will first provide definitions and a few rules for the debate to work properly.

-Definitions-
Superpower: Any ability that extends beyond the natural abilities of humans.
Use: Capable of being used beyond it's own application. (e.g. making someone fart at will will not count as the use for the power, as it is it's own application.)

-Rules-
1. The superpowers must be "Types" of superpowers and not "Levels" of superpowers. In other words, "The ability to fly" is a type, while, "The ability to fly one millimeter off the ground for one second" is a superpower level and doesn't count.
2. There are two uses which I will not use because they would always apply, and wouldn't make for a very fun debate. They are: Carnival Tricks and Scientific Inquiry. Money making still counts because it doesn't always apply, as long as showing it off to make money isn't used, which is what I mean by Carnival Tricks.

I wish my opponent good luck.
o0jeannie0o

Con

Alright I hope these will still count:

The ability to run super slow

The ability to age fast (not stop or slow aging just move forward at a accelerated rate)

to turn people into statues

to read your own mind

detect when garbage is near

to communicate with furniture
Atmas

Pro

The ability to run slow is within the natural abilities of humans, as is reading your own mind.
Communicating with furniture is an interesting one, but as you haven't ruled that the furniture could communicate back, it's still within the ability of a human to talk to furniture.

Detecting when garbage is near can have use in finding garbage patches drifting in oceans, allowing easier clean up.

Turning people into statues can be a good way of immortalizing a person, especially if they are about to die. It can also create beautiful artwork.

The ability to age fast can have its uses in allowing a teenager to jump through the different age levels needed for various privileges such as driving, drinking, sex, and renting a vehicle. It can also have uses in letting older people reach their death quickly if they needed a reason to. Examples would be a fulfilled life where the next 5 or so years would just be wasting time, and activating a life insurance policy for someone.

I hope my opponent finds those uses adequate.
o0jeannie0o

Con

for the running one I did mean ridiculously slow something that humans could not reach due to muscle tension or simple strength. Nice one on the garbage thing though.

New ones hmm:

The ability to turn your skin inside out

The ability to release all your hair from all hair follicles on your body at once.

the ability to see a hockey stick when looking at a TV (when there is no stick on the episode)

the ability to sweat only through your feet

touch anything and turn it into jello ( a food with little - no nutritional value)

power to sneeze with your eyes open

ability to become ridiculously fat and still be able to run

lol i look forward to your uses
Atmas

Pro

I hesitate to consider seeing a hockey stick as a superpower. It's within the realm of the human psyche to have these types of delusions, so it could be considered "natural" if unusual.

Releasing all your hair at once could be used to sell the hair to wig stores and for doll hair.

Becoming ridiculously fat and still able to run would not only increase the strength of your legs to absurd levels (since one could slowly increase one's own weight while exercising) but could also make a formidable line-backer in American football.

Turning anything into jello would be an excellent defensive power allowing one to turn weapons into jello or even bullets which hit the skin, rendering the bullet harmless. Or even, if the inclination strikes you, turning people into jello. Imagine the cops trying to figure that one out!

Sweating only through your feet (assuming the body would produce the same amount of sweat per day) could produce from one quart to an entire gallon of sweat per day, easily making the feet constantly wet, especially in hot environments or high physical activity. This could be used as natural ice skates, to walk on hot surfaces such as sunburned concrete and hot desert sand, and to make cooling down far easier by only having to cool two areas of the body.

Turning your skin inside out (assuming one could also turn it back) could be used as an intimidation tactic, as a monitor of your internal body temperature to tell if you have a fever, and to make the bottom layer of fat in your skin appear on the outside to act as a cushion against damage, albeit a weak barrier.

Sneezing with your eyes open is already possible for a few people as stated here: http://www.discovery.com... and so doesn't count as a superpower.

The running slow one would require detailing an arbitrary level of ability, such as being able to run one millimeter per year, and wouldn't count.
o0jeannie0o

Con

I would think you would die pretty quick after turning your skin inside out due to how many germs would be introduced (in either switch back or forth) so that superpower would kill you, making it very useless as it is not even a good suicide method. Also where the nerves are in your skin are and how little fat cushioning is there it would make it more painful when damaged.

I also cant see how releasing your eyebrows and eyelashes would be worth a few dolls hair.

New ones for final round:

ability to turn pizza into broccoli or (if you hate pizza and love broccoli) any other "yummy expensive" food into a "icky cheap" food ( such as ice cream into canned fish, chocolate into leftover pasta, you choose)

ability to diet and exercise (any amount) without gaining muscle or losing weight, an imposable thing for humans if taken to extremes.

ability to flip a paintings direction with just your mind.

ability to see anything as if you had a cameras color filters. (sepra, b&w, blue, red, whatever you feel like that day)

the ability to hear a noisy squealing drill whenever you want

the ability to cut yourself (to blood) on any object (pillow, cotton balls, dinner)

ability to feel like a plant

ability to make any pen burst in your pocket using only your mind (the ink not the shell)

have sad face stamps as fingers

and just for fun how bout the commenters copy any super power power that's useless because no one has any

ttfn
Atmas

Pro

Yes, the release of your eyebrow hair and whatnot wouldn't account for much, but the hair atop your head would.

You would die from switching your skin in and out, and that brings into question the choice of it as a superpower, but since I stated "Any" ability humans can't do, it applies. But there is a difference between "useful" and "use". For instance, A divining rod is used to divine for water, but because water divining doesn't work, a divining rod isn't useful for finding water, even if it does have a "use". So defining a use for a superpower doesn't have to take into question the negative effects of the superpower, I am only obligated to list a use outside it's own application. But, to add one more, it would make a great Halloween costume!

Pizza into Broccoli would be my choice. Although I don't hate pizza (who the hell does?) I do know that broccoli is far and beyond more nutritious than pizza, so it has plenty of use for extorting enormous amounts of money from pizza chains or they'll be selling boxes of broccoli. I would probably ask for pizza for life!

I can eat like a horse and lift weights for several months straight and not gain a pound, but that's not a superpower, since I can actually do it. (Makes one question my definition of "superpower").

Anyway, the use of never losing weight or gaining muscle (assuming the person was at the average weight for their build to begin with) would be to help prevent starvation by never losing your fat stores. Of course, you could say that your body just doesn't access your fat stores to burn them, but that would be making a superpower level.

The ability to flip a paintings direction could have two different meanings (as you didn't specify). Either the actual painting itself can be spun on the wall in which it hangs, or the painted picture can be changed to appear in a different direction (such as making the Mona Lisa become mirrored looking). In the former way, it could be used for causing a distraction in a major art gallery as you spin inexpensive pictures from a distance, forcing security to rush to the scene, allowing you the chance to make off with the more expensive paintings. The latter could be used to make very expensive paintings appear to be fakes, which you would then report the the curator and offer to buy the fake to take it off their hands.

You could preview a camera filter to see which would be the best one to use (if at all) for a particular picture. You can also have an easier time playing the "Where's Waldo?" game by making the picture black and white and not getting distracted by all the red and white. Having a color filter over the sunlight you're exposed too can help reduce glare, allowing easier seeing in intense light. Plus, walking around with a Sepia tone on everything would be really fun, or even black and white so that you can say for certain that you see the world in black and white.

Hearing a noisy squealing drill could easily block out other annoying sounds such as a nagging wife, crying child, complaining boss, etc. This is actually possible in real life, it just doesn't sound like a squealing drill, and I'm one of the rare few who can make the sound at will. [1]

The ability to cut yourself to blood on any object would have two different versions of itself. Either it's passive or active. If it's passive then the super-powered fetus wouldn't have survived conception, let alone pregnancy or birth, so should we even count that? If it's active then it would be useful for producing significant, but controlled, injuries that could be used as excuses to get out of various situations like work, school, jury duty, the immediate conversation, etc. We can let the voters decide if the former or the latter counts.

... to feel like a plant? I think that falls within the realm of human disillusionment and is possible. How would it feel to feel like a plant? Strange.

Making a pen burst in your pocket is borderline level because it requires a specific "in your pocket", otherwise your powers wouldn't apply. How much would your pants have to be on before they're considered "in your pocket" worthy? Wouldn't any pants you own have pockets owned by you? I say the use of this would be to make specific colored pens burst into pockets of all your clothes at least once a day, to keep the coat fresh, which will help identify someone who happens to steal your coat and sticks their hand in the pocket. Or even better, if you were to put all your pocket stuff into protective cases, you could fill your pockets with pens and explode them enough to create an ink barrier in all your pockets. Any pickpocket would find their hands soaked in ink and easily identified.

Having sad face stamps as fingers is another strange one. Did the stamps replace the actual fingers? or the finger tips? Or do the fingers produce sad face stamps on whatever they touch? In any case, making sad face stamps (along with an appropriate amount of permanent ink) would be perfect for literally marking your territory as you stamp your stuff. You could also use them as your calling card, stamping your killed victim's forehead, and marking you as the Sad Face Killer.

Copying any super power in a world with no super powers would result in the copier not having a super power, and is thus possible to use for anyone. Go ahead, copy my super powers! DO IT!!!!

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org...
That's the tube you can open at will. I'm not sure if you can do it through practice, but when you open it, it makes a loud rumbling sound often described as thunder in the head. I can do it for about 10-20 seconds and it blocks out annoying sounds and let's me focus.
o0jeannie0o

Con

I'm not sure if everyone would agree but i think it is grasping that the uses can be good or bad. If the consequence of using your superpower is worse then the thing you get out of it then why have it?

Would the doll making cash due to head hair loss be worth the social effects losing your eyebrow hair?
Would dying a slow painful way be worth a good Halloween costume?
would ruining all your clothes be worth marking potential pick pockets?

I mean floating 2 inches in the air for 30 seconds wasn't allowed but its use could have been: for stealing things and not leaving footprints in the snow. Why have the rule if the potential uses could be anything even pretty much useless things?

If your head could produce a very small umbrella (smaller then your head) at last that part of your head would be dry, If you could have ears like an owl you could hear bats... woo hoo!

Seems a but unfair to me, But to each their own. Thanks i had fun!
Posted by streamr 2 years ago
streamr
Ability to attract bullets
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
That would be highly useful for making little clones of yourself, hiding your identity, and just general pranking.
Posted by LeastCommonDenominator 2 years ago
LeastCommonDenominator
How about the ability to switch sexes almost instantly?
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Not a superpower as this can already be done.
Posted by streamr 2 years ago
streamr
Ability to feel pain in your elbow when your elbow is pinched.
Posted by o0jeannie0o 2 years ago
o0jeannie0o
ah i see, well in that case i would be out of luck. Maybe next time, thanks for the good time!
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
A power which would provide a supernatural positive effect which ignores all negatives associated with it due to physics. So the ability to have super strength isn't limited by muscle strength and wouldn't shred your muscles if you use it. I agree that skin flipping would be deadly, but there's tons of accepted powers that would kill you or leave you helpless provided physics is assumed. The ability to grow to enormous heights or turn your body to diamond or set yourself ablaze...
Alas, I didn't think carefully enough, and my definition was open to assumptions. Good job though, Jeannie I did have fun :D

Side-Note: I did say that I only had to find a use, whether the power would kill you or not should have been irrelevant. Another thing I should've stated before hand.
Posted by o0jeannie0o 2 years ago
o0jeannie0o
Quite curious....What would that definition be?

Superpower is defined as power greater in scope or magnitude than that which is considered natural or has previously existed.

Turning ones skin inside out is clearly not a normal thing to be able to do without organ failure and a lot of pain.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Just as I thought, my definition of superpower would cause problems. Obviously turning your skin inside out isn't a superpower. Maybe I'll make a new one with a more clear definition, one so precise that people can't find "work-arounds" and mince words.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Maybe I was grasping, the voters would have to decide, but the point was my long standing thought that no superpower wouldn't have a use, no matter how small. I've always assumed one is given a superpower rather than picking one, so the negative effects would be something you would have to decide is worth it. Not all negative effects would be worth the use, but the use is still there. I've often had people try to give me leveled powers like "Running at Mach 4 without any protection from G-forces". That is definitely a useless power, but the non-protection from G-forces is not actually "part" of the power, the running Mach 4 is. So technically (if you could protect yourself from the G-forces) you could make the power much more useful. It's all too easy to specify specific weaknesses for powers that would render them useless, so instead I focused only on types and ignored all other effects that would come from using or having the power. Only what else it could be used for besides just what it's main purpose is was my focus. I appreciate all those useless powers though! I know I was reaching for some of them, but I considered it a challenge of my creativity. If any of the uses are not adequate, the voters will suss them out. =D
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
Atmaso0jeannie0oTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter vote bomb. The vote bombs provided a reason, but award all points to con. This is considered a vote bomb since they only provided reasoning for one section of the voting process. Also con's side had more vote bombs than pro.
Vote Placed by carriead20 2 years ago
carriead20
Atmaso0jeannie0oTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did well but didn't do a good job refuting the skin inside out power.
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
Atmaso0jeannie0oTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro has refuted most of Con's points. Like 'I can eat like a horse and lift weights for several months straight and not gain a pound, but that's not a superpower, since I can actually do it.'
Vote Placed by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
Atmaso0jeannie0oTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not find an adequate use for turning your skin inside out. "Halloween Costume" would mean the ability to show off the costume to people. Turning inside-out would result in death almost immediately, thus not being considered a costume. Just a literal, mutilated corpse. full victory for con.