TheBlackDragon04
Cobalt

There are only a maximum of three genders

TheBlackDragon04 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

TheBlackDragon04

Pro

Rules of the debate:
1. No attacking each other personally
2. Don't try to forge or exaggerate facts
3. Let's debate and walk out of this as human beings
4. First round will be introduction round with no arguments
I kinda gave some slack for my side for including hermaphrodite as a gender; but I (Pro) will be arguing how why there are two main genders, male and female, and a possible third gender of hermaphrodite. My opponent (Con) will be arguing how and why there are more than three genders.
Cobalt

Con

I thank Pro for posting this debate and I accept his rules.
TheBlackDragon04

Pro

Alright, so I will start off with the fact that gender in definition is, "The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)." (https://www.google.com...) That is not my solid information though. Gender does not depend on what you feel you want to be. It is biologically the state of having two X chromosomes, or an X and a Y chromosome. This can also be depicted by your genital type, as a penis and testicles for a male, a vagina and ovaries for a woman, or both a penis and a vagina for a hermaphrodite. Some of modern society, mostly the Alt-left, think of gender as a social construct. You can't feel what your gender is. That's like saying that your favorite color is seven. They are on two different kinds of spectrums. Gender just happens to be a very small one. No matter how you look at it the only other combination for the two chromosomes is two Y's, and since men can't reproduce. It is almost impossible to produce this. Considering all of the possibilities, I believe that there can only be three genders.
Cobalt

Con

I thank my opponent for his quick response.

Gender, defined

The opponent begins his round with a definition of gender. This definition is incomplete. Looking at the Oxford Dictionary, we see that gender is "Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. This term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female." [1]

We can see that the opponent Googled "gender" and was provided a snippet of the definition from Oxford Dictionary. Looking at the entire definition reveals that the term "gender" is quite broad.

We'll examine the implications of this definition of gender by examining the opponent's argument.

Opponent's Argument

The opponent is making an argument for two (possibly three?) genders on the basis of biology. We can immediately note that such and argument is invalid, based upon both his incomplete definition of gender and the entire definition of gender. The definition he provided clearly states that gender is "typically used with reference to social and cultural differences, rather than biological ones."

As such, it is not topical to discuss the difference between the biological sexes. The opponent's description of basic biology is correct but entirely irrelevant. We are not discussing the resolution "There is a maximum of three biological sexes."

Gender Indentities

People identify as a wide variety of genders. [2] Considering that gender is defined as a psychological identity, rather than a biological state, demonstrating the existence of more than three identities is sufficient in proving that more than three genders exist.

The link provided indicates a number of gender identities. We'll first note that there are more than three, satisfying my burden. We'll also note that some identities listed are under "umbrella terms", which means they refer to a continuous range of different gender identities.

In summary, I've demonstrated that gender is a psychological identity, not a biological state. (By definition.) I further proved that there exist more than three gender identities. As such, I have proved that there exist more than three genders.

A note about the bigger picture

The arguments above are sufficient to defeat the opponent's case. However, I would be amiss not to discuss why the argument comes up so often and why people find it so difficult to resolve.

Generally, when people argue that "you can only ever be the gender you are born as", they are speaking about transgenders. Less often, the argument takes the form of the opponent's, and speaks to people who identify as a non-binary gender.

The reason why the argument is so pervasive and difficult to easily resolve is that both "sides" are arguing using two definitions which are fundamentally different. Proponents of transgender and non-binary gender use the complete definition of gender, notably that it refers to a psychological identity. People who argue against this use the term "gender", when they are ultimately referring to the word "sex".

This is likely because, for a time, the term "gender" was often used in place of "sex", as a synonym. While both words have different meanings, in the past it was possible to use the incorrect word and still have most people understand exactly what you mean. This clearly changed with the transgender movement, a movement which has made it a point to note that, indeed, "sex" and "gender" are not the same words, that they have similar, but definitively different use cases.

So the entire argument ends up not being about transgender people at all, but rather an implicit argument regarding definitions. This can be easily resolved by a) recognizing that the issue is one of definitions and b) consulting a dictionary.

Summary

I've demonstrated that the opponent's case is irrelevant to the debate, as per his own definition. I've provided the full definition and demonstrated that there exist more than three genders. I've fulfilled my burden.

1. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
2. https://www.dropbox.com...
Posted by TheBlackDragon04 1 year ago
TheBlackDragon04
Oh sorry. My notification didn't go off that you had posted another round.
Posted by KRTxBallistic 1 year ago
KRTxBallistic
Your own definition has completely contradicted your whole argument... did you not read the definition you posted?
Posted by Sardukar 1 year ago
Sardukar
Why so many rounds lol?