Coveny
Forever23

There are too many mutant and crime TV shows and not enough magic shows

Coveny
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Post Voting Period

Coveny

Pro

For the purposes of this debate "magic" is something requires training/work to create an effect in the real world that multiple individuals can perform at different strengths. (all mages could potentially cast fireball per say) Mutant referes to an individual specific ability, which may or may not get stronger with training. Meaning that shows that aren't listed as mutant like "Superman" still count as a mutant show in this debate because there requires no training to be able to cause his effects.

Also this debate defines TV shows to those in English. (Even excluding animi dubbed from other languages)

Forever23

Con

If you look up "magic", heres one of the definitions that appears: wonderful; exciting. Since Coveny didn't define magic, were just gonna stick with this definition.

I believe that there are enough exciting shows available, including mutant and crime shows. Since my opponent didn't define "many" and "not enough" Ill do so too. Not enough means under 3. There are way more than 3 "exciting" shows running. Too many means so many that people don't watch the shows anymore. However, CW profits over a billion dollars on shows every year. So therefore, people do like watching them.

Coveny has to prove that there is a show that NO ONE watches.,
Coveny

Pro

TV shows that fall into the "magic" category:
Magicians

TV shows that fall into the "mutant" categor:
Gifted
Inhuman
Agents of sheild
Legion
Iron Fist
Luke Cage
The Defenders
Jessica Jones
Flash
Legends of tomorrow
Supergirl

There are way to many shows that showcase mutants who don't have to train to use their powers, and not enough shows that reward individuals with powers for hard work.

Also for the record - "magic" was defined as something that requires training/work

The use of "many" and "not enough" are used to reference the other postion. As in the above list 11 is too many, and 1 is not enough. There is a disportional higher number of mutant based TV shows than there are magic based TV shows.
Forever23

Con

My opponents definition of magic is not a relevant or popular unlike the one I provided. So lets go with that one.

Magic Shows:
Magicians
Once Upon A Time
Vampire Diaries
The Originals

Gifted
Inhuman
Agents of sheild
Legion
Iron Fist
Luke Cage

So I win. There are more than 3 existing magic shows.
Coveny

Pro

My opponent attempts to adds

Once Upon A Time
Vampire Diaries
The Originals

to the list of magic shows, but none of these shows fall into magic as per the scope defined in this debate:

"For the purposes of this debate "magic" is something requires training/work to create an effect in the
real world that multiple individuals can perform at different strengths. (all mages could potentially cast
fireball per say)"

I'll close in saying that, portraying power as "luck of the draw" rather than hard work is detrimental to
our culture. I'm not arguing that there shouldn't be innate powers in TV shows, but I am arguing that there
should be a balance between media popularizing innate powers over powers that come through hard work.
So until the numbers are even, there are too many mutant TV shows, and not enough magic.
Forever23

Con

Like I said, my opponents definition isn't relevant since its not a popular one and a source wasn't provided. If you look up "magic" on google, mine was one of the first to come up.

So I win.
Posted by Coveny 1 week ago
Coveny
Con is just trolling me as the professed "Troll Queen Of DDO" per her signature in the forums.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 1 week ago
Stonehe4rt
I count less magic shows than mutant in your argument Con.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 1 week ago
Ragnar
CovenyForever23Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con tried to change the scope of the debate, and relied solely upon that moved goalposts fallacy. The definitions were clear in R1, were other definitions wished for that is what the comment section is for. This pretty much left pro's argument unchalleneged, but to be detailed... pro's case of the imbalance might be omitting some shows, and a 50/50 balance might not be called for, but made a case calling for teaching the importance of hard work instead of depending on the validity of racism within the fictions, so it's a decent moral argument. ... pro could have easily been defeated due to the resolution calling for him to prove a false dilemma, but such was never brought up.
Vote Placed by Discipulus_Didicit 1 week ago
Discipulus_Didicit
CovenyForever23Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Coveny clearly did lay out a definition for the word magic in his first round so there should have been no disagreements on the definition of that word in the first place. If you disagree with clearly laid out parameters of a debate then you should not accept the debate in the first place.