KatanaBladeNeko
Kumquatodor

There is No Point of the Gaming Classification System

Kumquatodor
Started: 11/3/2013 Category: Games

KatanaBladeNeko

Pro

Look, there's zero point, because 7-year old kids play whatever they want , like Grand Theft Auto V, Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, the list goes on and on.
It should be decided by the parents, and not by the suits.
Kumquatodor

Con

KatanaBladeNeko

Pro

Alright, let's go. You may go first.
Kumquatodor

Con

The gaming system helps parents know what content is in the game.

For instance: Compare the covers of Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Halo.

It is not intuitive which one is safe for 5-year-olds and which one isn't. But add an "M" rating and boom! Parents know that there might be graphic content in the game.

Parents then decide, "Well, I guess he shouldn't play GTA 3!" or "He can handle GTA 3!".

Without the rating system, though, they would have to play the game to know whether it was a "kids'" game or "Porn Simulater: the Game"! (Disclaimer: I just chose a random name that would convey my point; I do not know if there is actually a game like the one I mentioned.)
KatanaBladeNeko

Pro

Look, inner me here, but why are we always putting GTA as the culprit? It just... Irritates me how GTA is supposedly "the cause of violence" when there are games worse and are more easy to access. Also, if you really, really want a porn sim, there's a Playboy game (I know this because I saw a copy at EB Games.)
And also, by some luck, I own both Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Halo. And what I think of your cover verdict? Not a good pick.
I mean, if you were a parent, then you would've at LEAST known Star Wars, and how it's kid friendly. So it's not going to be a violent choice.
Halo, well, depends on the version. In Australia, certain Halo's are rated M (Our version of your M is MA-15+, while our M is most likely T or something) And Halo Wars was PG. So your point is not very well thought out.
But yes, I do see your point with some covers, like Deadpool, it could be passed as a kid-friendly game. But you could ask the people that work at the shop, maybe research the game. The classification is just there so that parents have an easier life, and people like me. Who want to play something we want (PAYDAY 2), but we can't, because it contains "a level where you make drugs." That is true, I have heard of a level where you do that. But it's incorrect information most likely. who can make drugs from a game?! It's like violent video games make all the killers, if that was true, racing games would make great races, business sims would make great business people, and so on.
Kumquatodor

Con

But you could ask the people that work at the shop, maybe research the game.
You could ask the clerks, but it is not their jobs to know about game content. And what if you walk into wallmart, and, because Johnny did good on his report card, you decide to get him a game. With the ratings, you know which title is suitable for him with just a glance.

The classification is just there so that parents have an easier life,
Therefore, the system is not pointless.

people like me. Who want to play something we want (PAYDAY 2), but we can't, because it contains "a level where you make drugs."
Dude! You have $60 to buy a game with? Where'd you get it?! That is cool!

But, seriously, if you are an adult, you can buy it anyways. And if you're not, ask your parents. If your parents say no, then it is certainly not the ratings' fault.
KatanaBladeNeko

Pro

"You could ask the clerks, but it is not their jobs to know about game content."
I'm not talking about Walmart or whatever, I'm talking about a shop that sells nothing but games, consoles, and gaming accessories. Besides, our Walmarts (Kmart, Big W, whatever.) suck when it comes to video games, and they always have the same overpriced stuff.

"because Johnny did good on his report card, you decide to get him a game. With the ratings, you know which title is suitable for him with just a glance."
If I wanted to get this "Johnny" a game, I'd see what he has and buy on that, if he has Disney games, I buy a Disney game, if he has Call of Duty, I buy Call of Duty, and vice versa.

"The classification is just there so that parents have an easier life,
Therefore, the system is not pointless."
Well, it's just telling a parent that this game "might have a little blood and some girls underwear," A.K.A MA-15+, don't buy this unless it's call of duty!"
Well, that's what I see.

"Dude! You have $60 to buy a game with? Where'd you get it?! That is cool!"
Uh, I have a code for it. Which I got from a Vlog competition.

"But, seriously, if you are an adult, you can buy it anyways. And if you're not, ask your parents. If your parents say no, then it is certainly not the ratings' fault."
Over here, R-18+ means by law you have to be 18 and over, and besides, my parents would be fine with it. I've played far worse with no side effects, and not even a R rating.
Kumquatodor

Con

I'm talking about a shop that sells nothing but games, consoles, and gaming accessories
Even so, it is not their jobs to have played all games. Their job is to sell products.

The Rating System does nothing to impede that.

If there were no rating system, however, you have no idea what he is asking for. If you were in a store looking for a game, and he points out an unrated game, it could be Kiddie Fun Spin, or it could be Porn Simulator Wii.

With the Ratings, you know what to expect.
_____________________________________
If the parent was puritanical, the blood might matter to them.

The Rating System is helping!
________________________
If you ask them, you just might get it! If you can't, it is the parents' or the code's fault.
KatanaBladeNeko

Pro

Okay, look, I give up. Seriously. I have better luck arguing other things.
Kumquatodor

Con

Kumquatodor forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
KatanaBladeNekoKumquatodorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave up.