There is a higher law than any a government can impose

The thought that there is a higher law than any a government can impose on you, me, or anyone else should be prevalent. These laws are as follows;

"Do not encroach on other persons or their property." and
"Do all you have agreed to do."
-Richard Maybury

hello i accept the challenge

The idea that there is a set of laws, such as these, that are higher than any government's, is not something that is so much as something that should be. These laws could govern the entire world, if the world would let them. Many people in almost every religion would be willing to follow these laws, and indeed, many religions preach this in different terms. Take The Bible, for example. Of the ten commandments, two of them fall directly under the "Do not encroach" category.

"Thou shalt not kill."
"Thou shalt not steal."

Another, "Do not bear false witness against thy neighbor," falls more so under the "Do all you have agreed to do." category.

Breaking these laws are not impossible, no. But should you, say, decide to punch me in the face, the moment you raise your fist in a way that I can reasonably feel threatened, you forfeit all rights to personal protection and open yourself up to whatever retribution I may bring on you for the duration of the time I feel threatened. As of right now, we have very few laws governing two individuals in physical confrontation. There should be a punishment for harming another, but methods of dealing with people who harm others would be carried out by the person or the family of the person harmed. There should be no "debt to society" for committing a crime that was not taken against society. If you punch me in the face, your debt is to me.

Now, let's examine the whole idea. "There is a higher law..."
This one should be pretty self-explanatory. Whatever law exists, there is a higher one, stated or not.

"...than any..."
Than any. Any.

"...a government can impose."
This one is a little more difficult. To most people, federal law appears to be the highest law of the land. They believe that anything the government decides should be law, the government is right and it should be law. This is not the case, whether people know it or not, whether it is stated or not. What if the government decided to make it legal to kill anybody who is not your religion, so long as you did it with a blunt weapons? Does that make it right? No. It only makes it legal.

shannonciaran forfeited this round.

Pro seems I'm all alone out here, debating my own point against a wall of silence.

shannonciaran forfeited this round.
Posted by Jordan_Kozuszek 1 year ago
Stensson, I don't know if anybody remembers this, but there was a diagram I was shown in middle school where there was a state government umbrella (displaying power) overshadowing the local government, and the federal government overshadowing the state government. The idea of a "higher law" is a law with a bigger umbrella, even, than the federal government. A higher law is a moral law, and moral law is higher than federal law.
Posted by Stensson 1 year ago
Define "higher". I wouldn't necessarily consider the laws you brought as examples to be higher than the federal laws.
Posted by V5RED 1 year ago
Are you asserting that these laws may not be violated in any circumstances? What if I violate these laws? Are you then justified in violating these laws against me?